What's new

Jams , jellies any one still make em? lets see.

In my youth, we made red raspberry, strawberry(farm picked), blueberry(farm and wild picked), concord grape(free where ever I could find them, peach, from my trees and a few others as well. My kids never had store bought until they moved out on their own and ran out of what I gave them.

Now I used up my last batch of raspberries from my NH home, but I can easily make strawberry in FL as they are real cheap. Made these yesterday.

image0.jpeg

Waiting for the apple crop to come in locally. Then we'll put up pie filling and apple butter, might even do a little chutney. In addition to jams and jellies we also can chicken, chicken broth/stock and pork shoulder. With the holidays on the way putting up a little mince meat from an old family recipe may be in the offing, too.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Jams and jellies?? Blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, grape, cherry, watermelon, pear, apple butter, even some jellies made with Mountain Dew and other sodas. Anything and everything. Plus salsa, and whatever else we can can.

This isn’t even 1/4 of it.

67F82DEA-15C6-45B8-A415-C07F9E9AACDB.jpeg
C70BB277-0A3E-46A7-92B9-DDB1CB5B3F39.jpeg
78B0521C-3773-44CD-B312-F5F57A5940A9.jpeg
97F5EF34-198D-4D42-8CF4-D994D6F0219B.jpeg

Great job,,,, I also used to do , picalilli, pickles(sour, dill and bread and butter), salsa and other stuff, put up over 60 qts green beans one year, had access to land to plant on a large scale.
with only the 2 of us, no need to do all that stuff anymore.

Looking back at the pics I noticed cherry,, what do you do, is it same proportions as strawberry? I might give that a go , cherries are in now here and relatively cheap.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Great job,,,, I also used to do , picalilli, pickles(sour, dill and bread and butter), salsa and other stuff, put up over 60 qts green beans one year, had access to land to plant on a large scale.
with only the 2 of us, no need to do all that stuff anymore.

Looking back at the pics I noticed cherry,, what do you do, is it same proportions as strawberry? I might give that a go , cherries are in now here and relatively cheap.

So far we’ve done over 150 jars of various stuff. Last year we did over 300 jars. Mostly garden stuff.

As for the cherry jam I’m not sure the proportions since I don’t do it. I just eat it.

I don't do jams and jellies but I do harvest and jar my own honey, uh, I mean the honey the bees make.

The last time I made any jelly was years ago with my grandma. It was a batch of dandelion jelly. Wasn’t a huge fan of it back then but might have to try making it again sometime

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
When we moved to Michigan I canned a lot. I did cherries- mostly pie fillings and homemade boozy Luxardo cherries, apples- sauce and pie filling, green beans- dilly and regular, peaches- in syrup and in just water, plums, tomatoes, raspberries, blueberries, and other stuff I’ve
probably forgot about. This is all I have left. I knew we had an out of state move coming up so I stopped last year. I probably won’t get any done this year either because of a new baby and a new house.
162697D4-ED44-407F-BDC3-83D474DC557E.jpeg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Oh, yeah. There's a peach-orange marmalade that my mother used to make, that I now do. Love it on everything from cornbread and biscuits to pancakes and waffles and even oatmeal and oatmeal cookies. It's also good on fingers. :)

I tend to be kinda picky about stuff, so there aren't a lot of jams and jellies that really seem worth the sugar and time to me. Some that we do a lot of, however...

Raspberry jam
Rhubarb-Ginger jam
Maple Apple butter
Apricot jam
Peach-Orange marmalade
Chokecherry syrup

We also grow saskatoons but usually freeze them whole and add a handful to a bowl of granola in the morning (or make 'Toon Waffles!) Cherries either get dried (sweet cherries) or frozen if pie cherries. I also like to make a kirschtopf with rum and Montmorency sour cherries -- a small bowl of those over fresh skyr, with some of the rum on the side is lovely in the middle of winter.

Don't have to make chutney because the oldest daughter keeps us topped up. :) The other two kids couldn't care less although my son really likes his grandmother's picalilli recipe. He'll be ready for canning stuff in a few years. He's gotta get a few more tons of hot pockets and toaster waffles past his lips first.

We have a friend up the valley on a homestead who's up in his '80s now. He and his wife have a lovely raspberry patch which they have graciously allowed us to come pick a couple of times. He and I agree that raspberry jam is really all you need, the Beatles notwithstanding. We went up for coffee one morning and his wife brought out fresh scones from the wood cookstove, and a pot of raspberry jam which I praised to the heavens.

He was so pleased that he went in the root cellar and came out with a jar held carefully in both hands. "I sense you are another gentleman who appreciates raspberry jam," he said. "Because you like our raspberry jam so much, here's a jar of our strawberry jam to take home with you."

I understood completely.

O.H.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Some plum and peach jam from earlier this year.

1627137326926.png

SWMBO made some more peach yesterday. I think strawberry will be next.

1627137397591.png

1627137446022.png

1627137489268.png

1627137531748.png

1627137569798.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Is anyone else having problems finding lids? I haven’t seen any on store shelves in months. I have a decent supply, but don’t want to run out.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is anyone else having problems finding lids? I haven’t seen any on store shelves in months. I have a decent supply, but don’t want to run out.

Around here it's hit or miss. Sometimes they have them, sometimes not. We have plenty.

Was in a motorcycle shop yesterday and they had very few new bikes on the showroom floor. They said they were having a hard time getting any in, along with parts and other stuff. Just can't get things shipped.

I shoulda bought the street/trail I was looking at...may have got a good deal for cash. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom