What's new

James Lipton's/Marcel Proust's 10 Questions

For anyone who hasn't watched Inside the Actor's Studio the host will ask the guest the same 10 questions. I always find the answers insightful and thought I'd throw it out to the Badger & Blade membership.

My answers
  1. What is your favorite word? - Why
  2. What is your least favorite word? - Can't
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? - An inquisitive mind
  4. What turns you off? - Political correctness or professional victims
  5. What is your favorite curse word? - F!@k
  6. What sound or noise do you love? - Wind during a snow storm
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? - Babies (or adults) crying
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? - Radio talk show host
  9. What profession would you not like to do? - Politician
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? - Welcome! Pour yourself a bourbon, your pets are over there.

Copy and paste if you'd like to participate
  1. What is your favorite word?
  2. What is your least favorite word?
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
  4. What turns you off?
  5. What is your favorite curse word?
  6. What sound or noise do you love?
  7. What sound or noise do you hate?
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
  9. What profession would you not like to do?
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

1. What is your favorite word? Schadenfreude
  2. What is your least favorite word? Can't say that I have one.
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? It varies. There is no one thing.
  4. What turns you off? Interrupted activity. The type of activity doesn't matter.
  5. What is your favorite curse word? @#$%
  6. What sound or noise do you love? Rain.
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? A high pitch drone.
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Writing. I've attempted it for years.
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Telemarketer.
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Come on in."

1. What is your favorite word? happy
  2. What is your least favorite word? potential
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? humor
  4. What turns you off? conflicts
  5. What is your favorite curse word? f-bomb!
  6. What sound or noise do you love? children laughing
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? breaking glass
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? acting
  9. What profession would you not like to do? healthcare
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? welcome home!

• What is your favorite word? Embuggerance, omnishambles
  • What is your least favorite word? Brexit
  • What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Good sci-fi. Snarky humour.
  • What turns you off? Schmaltz
  • What is your favorite curse word? All of them except the c word.
  • What sound or noise do you love? TARDIS brakes, daughter singing or playing piano, Merlin engines
  • What sound or noise do you hate? Muzak
  • What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Artist, teacher
  • What profession would you not like to do? Surgeon
  • If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? That's a pretty big if.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
]Copy and paste if you'd like to participate
  1. What is your favorite word? freedom
  2. What is your least favorite word? tin
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? curiosity mixed with self doubt
  4. What turns you off? ideological possession
  5. What is your favorite curse word? bl00dy ‘ell
  6. What sound or noise do you love? screaming fishing reel
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? generator running at campsite
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? history professor
  9. What profession would you not like to do? accounting
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? prepare to have your mind blown

I read that Proust's questions actually numbered 35, but the end. Lipton credits Bernard Pivot, French interviewer and intellectual, for Lipton's set of ten questions, but Pivot's questions were rather different in many respects.

I think watching folks try to come up with answers to the questions is often as revealing as the answers themselves. And I think the answers are more revealing if not thought out ahead of time. Amazing how many of Lipton's interviewees seem to not know they were coming. I think I have heard and thought about these questions too often for my answers to be revealing.

I do think 8 and 9 are good questions. Note how they are framed slightly differently. Most folks seem to answer 8 with something like teacher or artist. For 9 politician seems to come up a lot. Teacher and politician work for me.

Favorite word: Yes!
Least favorite: Totally!
Creative, spiritual, emotional turn ons: Music
Turn offs: Greed, Abuse of power
Favorite curse word: Godfreydaniel!
Sound or noise you love: babbling brook
Sound I hate: Talk radio
Alternative profession: Poet
Job I would hate: Car sales
Heavenly greeting: Scotch and one ice cube, right?

1. What is your favorite word? Home
  2. What is your least favorite word? ____ tard
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Uniqueness
  4. What turns you off? Lying
  5. What is your favorite curse word? Begins with an "F"
  6. What sound or noise do you love? My cats purring
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? Mosquitoes
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Journalist/writer
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Skilled trades
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Your family is waiting . . .

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fascinating ...

1. What is your favorite word? Stars.
  2. What is your least favorite word? Obligated.
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? A cloud-free sky.
  4. What turns you off? People who "know" things.
  5. What is your favorite curse word? a nonsense word I made up.
  6. What sound or noise do you love? The wind.
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? Alarm clock.
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Astronaut (of course).
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Undertaker.
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "George Washington is waiting for you! He's over there with Neil Armstrong and Herodotus. They love your cats."

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
  1. What is your favorite word? "Welcome"
  2. What is your least favorite word? "Whatever" when used as a dismissal
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Something new to try
  4. What turns you off? Deliberate ignorance
  5. What is your favorite curse word? the "s" word
  6. What sound or noise do you love? Surf crashing on the beach
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? Someone speaking loudly into my ear when there is no need
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Radio host (sorry @Canadian Mountain Man, but that really is something I've always wanted to do)
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Coal miner
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "I don't think anyone has cut it so close to get in here. Well played, Doak."

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
For anyone who hasn't watched Inside the Actor's Studio the host will ask the guest the same 10 questions. I always find the answers insightful and thought I'd throw it out to the Badger & Blade membership.

My answers
  1. What is your favorite word? - Why
  2. What is your least favorite word? - Can't
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? - An inquisitive mind
  4. What turns you off? - Political correctness or professional victims
  5. What is your favorite curse word? - F!@k
  6. What sound or noise do you love? - Wind during a snow storm
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? - Babies (or adults) crying
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? - Radio talk show host
  9. What profession would you not like to do? - Politician
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? - Welcome! Pour yourself a bourbon, your pets are over there.

Copy and paste if you'd like to participate
  1. What is your favorite word?
  2. What is your least favorite word?
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
  4. What turns you off?
  5. What is your favorite curse word?
  6. What sound or noise do you love?
  7. What sound or noise do you hate?
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
  9. What profession would you not like to do?
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Crying babies used to bother me. Since I’ve had grandchildren, that has changed. Babies just get fussy sometimes, and have no other ways to communicate.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
  1. What is your favorite word? Masticate
  2. What is your least favorite word? Antidisestablishmentarianism
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Good music
  4. What turns you off? Loud adults who think a cell phone is akin to two cans and a string
  5. What is your favorite curse word? It starts with an F
  6. What sound or noise do you love? The sound of wind through my neighbors and my trees (reminds me of surf)
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? That quiet sound after someone hits an emergency stop
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Physical cosmologist-they get to play with the good scopes.
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Air duct cleaner in Texas. I’ve done it- attics are hot in summer.
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I don’t believe, but were I wrong it would be more of a statement (to god)- You’ve got a hell of a sense of humor.

OC_,

Wee ones teething is a big deal. Tip: You can purchase mini bagels. If frozen, thaw. Stick one on the thumb of that babe. They cannot drop it cuz it is wedged on the thumb. And it is the greatest teething ring ever invented.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
OC_,

Wee ones teething is a big deal. Tip: You can purchase mini bagels. If frozen, thaw. Stick one on the thumb of that babe. They cannot drop it cuz it is wedged on the thumb. And it is the greatest teething ring ever invented.
My mother in law swore by dipping your thumb in rum and rubbing it on their gums. I can say that it works. :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
  1. What is your favorite word? Home
  2. What is your least favorite word? ____ tard
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Uniqueness
  4. What turns you off? Lying
  5. What is your favorite curse word? Begins with an "F"
  6. What sound or noise do you love? My cats purring
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? Mosquitoes
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Journalist/writer
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Skilled trades
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Your family is waiting . . .
Ah, a cat lover. It takes a special person to win the trust of a cat. I may be going to the shelter to get another one soon. Some hate cats- they just don’t understand what it’s like to win the love of one. Unlike dogs, you have to earn it with cats.

Radio host (sorry @Canadian Mountain Man, but that really is something I've always wanted to do)
No need to apologize, all sorts of room on the dial :)

Crying babies used to bother me. Since I’ve had grandchildren, that has changed. Babies just get fussy sometimes, and have no other ways to communicate.

Appreciate their limited ability to communicate, still sounds like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

My mother in law swore by dipping your thumb in rum and rubbing it on their gums. I can say that it works. :lol:
Also works with adults

Ah, a cat lover. It takes a special person to win the trust of a cat. I may be going to the shelter to get another one soon. Some hate cats- they just don’t understand what it’s like to win the love of one. Unlike dogs, you have to earn it with cats.
Local news ran a terribly sad story a couple months ago. Of the our bylaw department apprehends ~75% of the dogs are claimed by their owners while only ~20% of cats are so lucky. Sad reality is many people view cats as disposable :(

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
No need to apologize, all sorts of room on the dial :)

Appreciate their limited ability to communicate, still sounds like fingernails on a blackboard to my ears.

Also works with adults

Local news ran a terribly sad story a couple months ago. Of the our bylaw department apprehends ~75% of the dogs are claimed by their owners while only ~20% of cats are so lucky. Sad reality is many people view cats as disposable :(
As a country, we tend to worship unconditional love. As the old joke goes-lock your wife and dog in a trunk for an hour, open it up, and see which one still loves you. IMO, dogs are butt kissers. If you don’t love something, you don’t deserve their love back.

1. What is your favorite word? Bourbon
  2. What is your least favorite word? NoBourbon
  3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Bourbon
  4. What turns you off? No Bourbon
  5. What is your favorite curse word? No F@@@@@@g Bourbon?!?!
  6. What sound or noise do you love? Bourbon hitting the bottom of the glass
  7. What sound or noise do you hate? Last drop of Bourbon hitting the bottom of the glass
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Bourbon taster
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Tea sipper
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Get back down there. There's still some Bourbon left.

7. What sound or noise do you hate? Last drop of Bourbon hitting the bottom of the glass
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Bourbon taster
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Get back down there. There's still some Bourbon left.
FRESH-6-1024x576.png

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’ll drink to that

Top Bottom