What's new

James Hoffmann "A Better 1 Cup V60 Technique" recipe

I was browsing videos on YouTube last night and ran across a V60 recipe that even I cannot mess up when I am not quite alert first thing in the morning!

I just happened to have a plastic V60-01 sitting around (though this recipe would work fine with a V60-02) and tried this recipe this morning. I needed to grind a little courser as my draw down was too long and the resulting brew had a hint of bitterness. I will go a little finer on the grind next time.

The recipe:

A correction comment from James:
A few quick bits: Firstly - it appears I've ended up in a similar place to Matt Winton's Five Pour Technique. I was aware of Matt's work, but hadn't watched this video recently, and I think we've just worked our way to similar techniques independently. Shout out to Matt for getting there first!
Secondly - excuse the error at 10:13 where I say "Don't be afraid of going a bit coarse" when I meant "finer. Apologies!
Third - regarding preheating with the hot water tap: There's clearly a lot of variation out there on this front, and I could well have made a mistake here. It might be better to use a kettle. I'd recommend transferring the V60 to the sink before adding the water, to slow its exit from the cone, which helps do more heating up with less water.

The follow up Q&A video:

A correction comment from James:
So I messed up the Commandante clicks thing. I did not measure the proper way, because I’m an idiot. I’m probably out by 5-7 clicks so somewhere from 18-23 might be the right range. I’ll confirm tomorrow when I get my hands on the grinder. Apologies!

Enjoy!

Glad you found this, we were discussing it a month ago, but I think it was within another coffee thread. Several of us found this produced better consistency once we surrendered to the process. It's a bit hard to hit both an exact amount of water and the 10 second per pour time, better to hit the latter than the former precisely was the consensus. I still haven't looked up the Winton technique, thanks for the reminder!

Glad you found this, we were discussing it a month ago, but I think it was within another coffee thread. Several of us found this produced better consistency once we surrendered to the process. It's a bit hard to hit both an exact amount of water and the 10 second per pour time, better to hit the latter than the former precisely was the consensus. I still haven't looked up the Winton technique, thanks for the reminder!
I was curious to try this one since it seemed pretty simple, which is a good thing for me first thing in the morning. :biggrin1:
I will have to look for the thread you mentioned where people commented on this recipe.

I have tried a variety of recipes with varying results. The previous recipe that I liked was adapting this Kalita Wave recipe for use with the V60.

Top Bottom