What's new

James Bond’s 1965 Aston Martin DB5 Sells for More Than $6.3 Million (USD) :-)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
Oh my...the 'ultimate' driving toy (sigh...if only I had the money. I envy the 'lucky one' who clinched 'a deal of a life time'). :thumbsup:

"And I would like a medium Vodka dry Martini with a slice of lemon peel. Shaken and not stirred, please. I would prefer Russian or Polish vodka". Ian Fleming
"RM Sotheby’s sets new DB5 auction record with James Bond's star car" (say what!). :a47:

Rory Jurnecka - Motortrend - Words - Aug 16, 2019

"RM Sotheby's did well by adding a third night to its 2019 Monterey auction roster, featuring Aston Martins exclusively. The star of the evening, a 1965 DB5 that was one of three existing screen cars from the popular 007 franchise movie, Goldfinger, sold for a huge $6,385,000 to plenty of applause from the
auction room."
Ebay Bidding.jpg

proxy.php

Applause came first when the ex-Bond DB5 rolled onto the block in the Portola Plaza Hotel event space after a short teaser video played, showing the car screeching around twisting roads with appropriately Bond-esque music and cinematography. Bidding started quick and steady, with six bidders vying for the car both in the room and on the telephone, though once bids crested $4.5 million, then $5 million, the remaining bids were given more thoughtfully. In all, it took nearly five minutes before the car was hammered sold to a bidder in the room.
proxy.php

As what may be the most famous car in the world, James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 (chassis number DB5/2008/R for the trainspotting types) was made just for the Goldfinger movie, with its incorporated [working] prop machine guns, armored shield, passenger ejector button, navigation system, and various other gizmos [gadgets is a better word] having been installed when the car was being built. Later, the DB5 was used as a promotional car for the next Bond movie, Thunderball. It was restored in Switzerland in 2012 and the car's props are said to be functioning as they were made to do for the film.

The DB5's pre-sale estimate, given by RM Sotheby's, was $4 million to $6 million, so the final result of $6.38 million with commission (high bid of $5.8 million) did well against it. So well that it set a new auction record price for a DB5".[...]

Read More: 007's Car for Sale

proxy.php
"Now got a high bid, now higher, now higher, will ya' give me higher?....Going, going, Gone"! The Auctioneer

Last edited by a moderator:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My wife would kill me, but I would HAVE to own that car if I had just 7 million dollars lying around!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
On another note...this car failed to make to cut & 'flopped'.

"Oldest 'Porsche' fails to sell after auction's bizarre $70 million mistake"

By Gary Gastelu - Fox News - 19 Aug 19

"It was a $70 million mixup. A car considered by some to be the first “Porsche” failed to sell at the RM Sotheby’s auction in Monterey, Calif., on Saturday after the bidding got bungled.

The sleek Type 64 was built by Ferdinand Porsche and his son, Ferry, between 1939 and 1940, years before their namesake company was registered in 1946. It was intended for a race that was planned between Berlin and Rome, but canceled by the outbreak of World War II.

proxy.php

The car was damaged and rebuilt by Porsche years later, then purchased in 1949 by a racecar driver, who competed with it for many years. It was last sold in 1997 to an Austrian Porsche collector who was the one offering it in Monterey.

proxy.php

Experts expected the car to sell for around $20 million, but YouTube videos shot at the event appear to show the Dutch-accented auctioneer opening the bidding at $30 million, exciting the crowd".

Works Cited: Oldest Porsche auctions 70$-million mistake

proxy.php
"A [car] goes up for auction. No one has enough, so the [car] buys itself". Rumi

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
There is a reproduction of that DB5 at the Spy Museum in Washington, D.C. (across the street from the National Photo Gallery). It's quite something to see when it goes all "spy."

I almost got it. A day late & a dollar short!

Well... maybe a little more than one dollar short!

But that car is, IMHO, one of the coolest cars ever. I was 6 when the first Bond movie came out, I grew up watching 007.

It's cool, but by the time these cars hit record setting auction prices, they aren't really cars anymore, they're pieces of art that are never going to be driven again.

Top Bottom