What's new

jalapenos

Jalapeno's aren't that hot. The heat rating on habanero's is about 10 times more than a jalapeño. I grow my own and the stuff I grow would be 10 to 20 times the heat of a jalapeño. When you clean and cook really hot peppers you wear gloves and you still don't touch your face because the capsicum will soak through the gloves after a few minutes. It's wonderful.

When you eat jalapeno it's not that hot. When you rub it in your eye it is plenty hot.. I love hot peppers and cook with jalapeno, habanero, scotch bonnet, even bhut jolokia. Try not to disrespect them, or it bites you back :)

Last night my younger brother was visiting and decided to make a snack. He selected some macaroni and cheese, and used some of my hot sauces out of the fridge without asking. With a light splash of Death By Johnny and a few drops of Ghost Pepper sauce, he completely ruined 2 boxes of mac and cheese. It was rendered inedible, so incredibly hot that 1 bite gave me indigestion and had me sweating. Rookie mistake!!

wash hands BEFORE you rub your eye lids.:001_tt1:

Or go to the bathroom for the #1 job.

I worked a summer job at a fried chicken place and we sold jalapeno peppers. I had to fill the jar and went to the restroom. There was only one other guy on duty at the time and he had fried chicken dough all over his fingers. He kept screaming, "SOMEBODY COME UP TO THE FRONT!" I was on fire. It was so bad I had to hold myself over the faucet of running cold water for 15 minutes to put the fire out.

I had no idea how sensitive that area was until I had that experience.

Jalapeño is hot enough if you rub it in your eye.

true enough!!!
i showered and used a brush,,, dont know what to call it but, fairly long plastic bristles. pretty stiff too. and i scrubbed and scrubbed fingers and nails as best i could.
later im watching the game and we were on a tare! it was a 15 shot on goal period but only 1 goal. were down 2-1 after one period. so im on the edge of my seat, stick thumb in mouth and bite the nail. (it was an intense shift) and it filled my mouth with capzasin again!

the spaghetti sauce is killer though!!! 3 peppers to one batch. an onion, and a bunch of other seasonings of course.:mad5:

A colleague of mine is really into his chillies. He ordered a box of assorted sauces, etc. One of the packets was a handful of dried Ghost Nagas. I picked these up to take a closer look. All sealed in plastic (well, in a polythene pouch, stapled, with a cardboard top) - so I figured there was nothing to worry about. It was only when I rubbed my eyes a few minutes later, I discovered how wrong I was. I guess there can't have been more than the tiniest of flakes transferred to my fingers, and they could have been from anything, but it was agony for (what felt like) hours.

Been there, done that and lesson well learned.

Instead jalapenos i was cutting jolokia chili. These little ba...s are as hot as hell.

pretty new to me. though i do recognize some of the names being mentioned here. looking forward to cooking with more in the future. but this will be a lesson learned only once! i will never again underestimate the cleaning procedures that need to follow.

new to cooking? read my last sentence above. then read it again!

Bhut Jolokias are good, but my favourite are Habaneros - you don't get the sweetness with most of the other chillies. Except Serranos. They're probably my favourite too. Especially if I don't want quite so hot.

Mmmm. Chilli.

Last edited:
I love habs too, and scotch bonnet. Jolokia are great for pure heat but I find they're pretty unuseable, I have a high tolerance to spicy food and one deseeded jolokia in a vindaloo pushes my tolerance to its limit

Er... Guys? Learn to use disposable food safe gloves when handling a lot of hotapainful peppers.

Milk is recommended for cutting the heat when eating them. Might work for the skin as well, or perhaps unflavored yogurt.

Onions I can handle. Used to process a couple hundred pounds daily. Got to where I did not feel them.

I'm super sensitive to onions. I used to work in the kitchen at a restaurant...someone could be 10 feet away cutting onions and I'd start tearing up.

I grow my own and the stuff ...

Greetings,

Last year I bought some Bhut Jolokia and I was wondering if you've found that pepper seeds are generally still viable after a year? They've been stored in a cool dry place inside a Ziploc. I am thinking these should be planted relatively soon.

Have. Been there. The most intriguing experience was the day after eating the Ghost chilli pepper. Fire going in, fire coming out. :biggrin1: Even from my pores! The worst was having cut up tiny, tiny confetti like pieces of it to share with others...... I later rubbed my eye. I was under that kitchen faucet for a good ten minutes.
Well my wife wouldn't let me get near her for a week. Lol.

Greetings,

Last year I bought some Bhut Jolokia and I was wondering if you've found that pepper seeds are generally still viable after a year? They've been stored in a cool dry place inside a Ziploc. I am thinking these should be planted relatively soon.

I wish you luck. Last year I attempted to grow it and while I had Big bunny ears of leaves.. ready for this ..it wilted in the summer sun. The worlds hottest pepper just whilted. My Jalopenos on the other hand right next to it just ate up the summer heat and produced the crunchiest and most delicious peppers I've had in a long time. Hurmph. Bhut jolokia are weak. Love their flavor though.

Funny and quick. My best friend came over to cook and grabbed a Bhut chopped it up(not knowing) and threw it in the wok. Cleared out the house!we were all choking and had to open all the windows. Lol

My mom suffered the fate of the jalapeno chopping experience, so I learned from her example along with a friend's experience with some habaneros.... gloves are good.

On the onion topic (and again learning from mom) the best thing I've found to get rid of the smell on my hands is running my hands under cold water and using the steel knife blade to "wash" my hands. **Disclaimer, if you use the sharp end you get what you deserve** I just keep the edge angled away from any flesh and rub the steel along my hands, think of it like palm stropping. Poof, no more onion smell!

Last edited:
My mom suffered the fate of the jalapeno chopping experience, so I learned from her example along with a friend's experience with some habaneros.... gloves are good.

On the onion topic (and again learning from mom) the best thing I've found to get rid of the smell on my hands is running my hands under cold water and using the steel knife blade to "wash" my hands. **Disclaimer, if you use the sharp end you get what you deserve** I just keep the edge angled away from any flesh and rub the steel along my hands, think of it like palm stropping. Poof, no more onion smell!

Same concept as wiping your hands on the stainless steel of a sink, just more dangerous.

Top Bottom