Jack Purcells by Converse. What a shame/Classic Sneakers

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Clydes!!!

You know it. 😀

D8F5BA38-A2C3-4CFA-BDEC-FEBD0FBCDCD5.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Onitsuka GSMs (GSM stands for Game. Set. Match) came in today and went right back To Zappos as they were WAAAY too narrow which seemed to be a prevalent issue in the reviews I had read. I re-laced them to try and widen them a tad and could have gotten away wearing them without socks but being that they are a leather sneaker, totally sock-less is not really an option as it would be with a cloth-upper sneaker like a Jack Purcell.

Sooo... great price or not, they went back. Although I like the look, sneakers are first and foremost supposed to be comfortable. They would have ended up in the back of the closer so instead they go back and the money ends up back in my pocket (earmarked for the Converse Pro Leather when it’s re-released :yesnod: )
7C613AAD-2732-4A52-A2DE-A7001302AD0D.jpeg

Now awaiting the arrival of the Clydes.

I had a red, white and blue pair of Onitsuka Tigers that I adored back in high school (03), so I started looking at them again. Lots of complaints about either being too wide or narrow at the heel. For whatever reason, every female also thumbed them down. My Adidas Handball Spezials in navy suede get here tomorrow, can't wait!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I had a red, white and blue pair of Onitsuka Tigers that I adored back in high school (03), so I started looking at them again. Lots of complaints about either being too wide or narrow at the heel. For whatever reason, every female also thumbed them down. My Adidas Handball Spezials in navy suede get here tomorrow, can't wait!

Those Spezials look great. Very similar to the Gazelles except for the gum rubber outsole. Enjoy.

I didn't get Gazelles (had them in high school, also) because they're always comically squeaky. Every time. The Spezials are designed to be a slight step up from the Samba. I was going to go for light blue, but I figured the navy would match more.

Converse has been on my radar, but I hear a lot of folks say they're much more cheaply made now.

Wow, these things squeak worse than the Gazelle model and feel downright cheap. Very disappointed, but I think I oversold myself on them. The fit is very strange and long. The quality of my Sambas seems far superior in every way? I even paid less for them.

Back in the box they go...

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Wow, these things squeak worse than the Gazelle model and feel downright cheap. Very disappointed, but I think I oversold myself on them. The fit is very strange and long. The quality of my Sambas seems far superior in every way? I even paid less for them.

Back in the box they go...

That’s unfortunate. I just found out that my Puma Clydes are heading back to Puma. Apparently, the numbers in the zip code all have to be in order. 😃

I ordered them on 5/3 and Fedex has been messing around with this package for over 3 weeks and forget getting any response from customer service from either Fedex or Puma. Fedex tracking says its returning to shipper in CA although package is at post office in the next town over from me in NJ. My fault for transposing last 2 numbers in the zip but taking almost 3 weeks to get this far... come on, man.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Sometimes, you just have to take matters into your own hands. Drove about 10 miles to post office in next town to pick these Clydes up. I couldn’t bear the thought of them going back 3000 miles in the wrong direction.

I must say that the leather is very soft. I am pleased with the fit and they are comfortable. And as far as retro cool.... come on, man. They’re Puma Clydes. 😎

EAA2A335-B1DF-421E-A4F6-E5D2692DD120.jpeg

8F511F6E-55AD-41B5-9DAC-3031C6EE2B27.jpeg

4ACB3263-8FE2-4F91-845A-317E8B754D2C.jpeg

5A1C6CC3-40F5-4393-A839-767C17F4F4E5.jpeg

3AC2D1E9-1777-49FF-A423-CFFF52B51EBE.jpeg

580A69B5-62D4-4FA2-92E8-EDF2C9613ABB.jpeg

To quote Steely Dan:

“Home at last...“. :thumbup1:

E7F38A1B-5616-439A-8143-C3BBD3D8CB99.jpeg

Last edited:
Converse has wide sizes available on their website. 👍

Now the 990’s.... hmmm. 😀
You are right - a limited range but some nice options. Just took delivery of a pair of custom Chuck Taylors in wide. I got white with blue laces and sticking and red liners. Can’t wait for them to yellow so I can use the whitener!
534E1665-5801-4409-AA7D-58C122A709D2.jpeg
D1FF9EF5-642E-4ACE-BD77-9F5927A9B8C5.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
In keeping with the retro basketball theme, these Converse Pro Leather are en route. Converse website has been out of this make-up (white/obsidian) forever and they had sold out quickly.

I found them at ENDclothing.com on sale for $59 (usually $99 on Converse site) and didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger. I’ve never dealt with this company and they are in England. Shipping to US was $9 (duty is paid).

Hopefully, it’s legit. 🙄

8823E29D-D783-47FD-ABD5-815AB91DA033.jpeg
29412196-1C54-451D-92AB-AEDFA1A72734.jpeg

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
After my last post about the Converse Pro Leather that I just ordered after finding them for a great price, I started going back and re-reading the previous posts.

My advice: Don’t do that.

I came across @beginish comment about the Rod Lavers. Now, in the past, these sneakers were fairly difficult to come across. I think Adidas may have even discontinued production for awhile. Certainly the Adidas website didn’t have them for quite some time. They were a hard find.

I always told myself that when I found them in the white/blue make-up (like the Comverse Pro Leather), I would not hesitate. After seeing that previous post, just out of curiosity, I searched them out.

Guess what... :whistling:
D69245BD-3B86-4816-85F8-7C8CA2A858C0.jpeg

Now, it appears the Rod Laver is back in heavy circulation. Back in the day, these sneeks may have been viewed as a poor man’s Stan Smiths.

They had/have that funky mesh upper with the suede trim which was quite different then the canvas and leather sneakers that dominated the market at the time.

They are available with a full leather upper and Adidas is selling them for $100 on their website. 😳

I found them at PacSun for $80 and with 15% off and free shipping, they came out to about $68.

I didn’t hesitate. 🙄

I’m re-directing all my savings on gasoline during my extended “work from home” set-up into feeding my retro sneaker addiction. (At least that’s what I keep telling myself).

I think the only pair left (for me) may be the Reebok Club C 85’s. (Yeah... I know they look the same. What about it?) 😀

6C21DB78-9CCB-4892-B3D7-23D237FB541C.jpeg

and maybe, just maybe a pair of Nike Cortez and that would definitely be it. 🤞

C1C9E8B7-34AB-460E-A6C1-D43B2EC942A9.jpeg

Last edited:
After my last post about the Converse Pro Leather that I just ordered after finding them for a great price, I started going back and re-reading the previous posts.

My advice: Don’t do that.

I came across @beginish comment about the Rod Lavers. Now, in the past, these sneakers were fairly difficult to come across. I think Adidas may have even discontinued production for awhile. Certainly the Adidas website didn’t have them for quite some time. They were a hard find.

I always told myself that when I found them in the white/blue make-up (like the Comverse Pro Leather), I would not hesitate. After seeing that previous post, just out of curiosity, I searched them out.

Guess what... :whistling:
View attachment 1211172

Now, it appears the Rod Laver is back in heavy circulation. Back in the day, these sneeks may have been viewed as a poor man’s Stan Smiths.

They had/have that funky mesh upper with the suede trim which, at that time, was quite different then the canvas and leather sneakers that dominated the market at the time.

They are available with a full leather upper and Adidas is selling them for $100 on their website. 😳

I found them at PacSun for $80 and with 15% off and free shipping, they came out to about $68.

I didn’t hesitate. 🙄

I’m re-directing all my savings on gasoline during my extended “work from home” set-up into feeding my retro sneaker addiction. (At least that’s what I keep telling myself).

I think the only pair left (for me) may be the Reebok Club C 85’s. (Yeah... I know they look the same. What about it?) 😀

View attachment 1211186

and maybe, just maybe a pair of Nike Cortez and that would definitely be it. 🤞

View attachment 1211187

Are the Lavers available with the mesh upper? Those were very, very comfortable.

Top Bottom