What's new
    As per our long standing policy of not permitting medical advice on the forum - all threads concerning the Coronavirus will be locked.
    For more info on the coronavirus please see the link below:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

Jack Purcells by Converse. What a shame.

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
The Onitsuka GSMs (GSM stands for Game. Set. Match) came in today and went right back To Zappos as they were WAAAY too narrow which seemed to be a prevalent issue in the reviews I had read. I re-laced them to try and widen them a tad and could have gotten away wearing them without socks but being that they are a leather sneaker, totally sock-less is not really an option as it would be with a cloth-upper sneaker like a Jack Purcell.

Sooo... great price or not, they went back. Although I like the look, sneakers are first and foremost supposed to be comfortable. They would have ended up in the back of the closer so instead they go back and the money ends up back in my pocket (earmarked for the Converse Pro Leather when it’s re-released :yesnod: ) 7C613AAD-2732-4A52-A2DE-A7001302AD0D.jpeg

Now awaiting the arrival of the Clydes.

I had a red, white and blue pair of Onitsuka Tigers that I adored back in high school (03), so I started looking at them again. Lots of complaints about either being too wide or narrow at the heel. For whatever reason, every female also thumbed them down. My Adidas Handball Spezials in navy suede get here tomorrow, can't wait!

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
I had a red, white and blue pair of Onitsuka Tigers that I adored back in high school (03), so I started looking at them again. Lots of complaints about either being too wide or narrow at the heel. For whatever reason, every female also thumbed them down. My Adidas Handball Spezials in navy suede get here tomorrow, can't wait!
Those Spezials look great. Very similar to the Gazelles except for the gum rubber outsole. Enjoy.

I didn't get Gazelles (had them in high school, also) because they're always comically squeaky. Every time. The Spezials are designed to be a slight step up from the Samba. I was going to go for light blue, but I figured the navy would match more.

Converse has been on my radar, but I hear a lot of folks say they're much more cheaply made now.

Wow, these things squeak worse than the Gazelle model and feel downright cheap. Very disappointed, but I think I oversold myself on them. The fit is very strange and long. The quality of my Sambas seems far superior in every way? I even paid less for them.

Back in the box they go...

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
Wow, these things squeak worse than the Gazelle model and feel downright cheap. Very disappointed, but I think I oversold myself on them. The fit is very strange and long. The quality of my Sambas seems far superior in every way? I even paid less for them.

Back in the box they go...
That’s unfortunate. I just found out that my Puma Clydes are heading back to Puma. Apparently, the numbers in the zip code all have to be in order. 😃

I ordered them on 5/3 and Fedex has been messing around with this package for over 3 weeks and forget getting any response from customer service from either Fedex or Puma. Fedex tracking says its returning to shipper in CA although package is at post office in the next town over from me in NJ. My fault for transposing last 2 numbers in the zip but taking almost 3 weeks to get this far... come on, man.

johnniegold

Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes, you just have to take matters into your own hands. Drove about 10 miles to post office in next town to pick these Clydes up. I couldn’t bear the thought of them going back 3000 miles in the wrong direction.

I must say that the leather is very soft. I am pleased with the fit and they are comfortable. And as far as retro cool.... come on, man. They’re Puma Clydes. 😎

EAA2A335-B1DF-421E-A4F6-E5D2692DD120.jpeg

8F511F6E-55AD-41B5-9DAC-3031C6EE2B27.jpeg

4ACB3263-8FE2-4F91-845A-317E8B754D2C.jpeg

5A1C6CC3-40F5-4393-A839-767C17F4F4E5.jpeg

3AC2D1E9-1777-49FF-A423-CFFF52B51EBE.jpeg

To quote Steely Dan:

“Home at last...“. :thumbup1:

E7F38A1B-5616-439A-8143-C3BBD3D8CB99.jpeg

Attachments