What's new

Jack Purcells by Converse. What a shame/Classic Sneakers

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I recently got a pair of Tretorns, MIC, for under $40. I must say I am impressed.
image.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just received my new pair of Jack Purcells from Piperlime the other day. I ordered them several weeks ago but they were backordered. I didn't care since I got them on sale for $39.99. They cost between $55-60 depending on where you order them from. So, for a good deal I didn't mind the wait.

Upon inspecting them, I see that the quality of the iconic sneaker that has been enjoyed by generations of the sneaker-wearing public has been somewhat compromised. I'm sure there are many purists out there that would argue that the sneaker has been returned to its former simplicity but nevertheless, I am somewhat disappointed but not to the point of not wanting to wear them.

Here are some pics so you can decide for yourself. The old pair are maybe two years old.

Let's start with the laces. The old pair are made of nylon and have metal tips. These have been that replaced with a fabric lace with plastic-coated tips. Not a big deal but one detail that has taken a step down, imo.

full

As you can see, the tongue no longer has the Jack Purcell logo on it. The tongue on the older pair was padded. On the new pair it is not. 2 demerits. One for style and one for comfort.

Note the two holes that allow air to circulate inside the sneaker. Clearly visible on the old pair.

full

On the new pair, they are buried below the insert. This is unforgiveable, imo. Poor design. What were they thinking? :thumbdown

full

The heel had blue-trim sewn into it. This has gone by the wayside. Small detail but nevertheless.

full
full

The ankle was padded and now it is not. 2-point deduction for doing away with a comfort-feature.

full

full

Also note the airholes in this picture. You can see on the new pair how they are covered up.

full

THE SMILE

It is the smile on this iconic sneaker that makes it instantly recognizable and don't worry, it is still there. On the old model it was somewhat recessed while on the new pair it is not. However, I do recall, on pairs that I had owned in the past, the smile was not recessed.

full

full

full

So, am I a little disappointed that Converse decided to cheapen a product that I have worn for years? Of course. Has it been so drastic that I would not buy them again? Well, let's just say I'm glad I didn't pay 60 bucks for them. :biggrin:
full
You look so hungry yet so lean at the same time in that black and white photo my friend.

Well back went I was in High School, Converse All Stars were in vogue, our Championship High School Team all wore Converse Hi-Top All Stars. Surfers loved the Black Low Cut Converse All Stars, they were a status shoe at the time.

I wear running shoes daily, the one that fit my feet best are Saucony's, but today there have to be 40 or more brands of running shoes.

Well back went I was in High School, Converse All Stars were in vogue, our Championship High School Team all wore Converse Hi-Top All Stars. Surfers loved the Black Low Cut Converse All Stars, they were a status shoe at the time.

I wear running shoes daily, the one that fit my feet best are Saucony's, but today there have to be 40 or more brands of running shoes.
Yeah On Running is trending around here with Hoka a close second.

Sperry X JCrew Cloud CVO in Navy. The JCrew version of the Cloud CVO is a subtle, but surprisingly nice, upgrade over the standard model. And, thankfully, there is no markup...but it's much easier to get a discount on the regular Cloud CVO at sperry.com. Twill uppers and red soles are the most noticeable of the differences, but to me these look a LOT sharper than my navy canvas regular version of these shoes with the off-white soles. Not as cushioned as a Jack Purcell, but still pretty damn comfortable.

IMG_8643.JPG

I looked at the Chuck Taylor upper tier and was hoping someone grabbed the new PF Flyers post Converse lawsuit. They have been mentioned in Rose Anvil but no reviews yet . Good to see other options.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Not long ago, I sold a pair of the Royal-Lo ProKeds. They were a Size 10.5 US and due to their loose construction, 10.5 was just a bit too big. I thought that since I wore a 10.5 US in a Jack Purcell by Converse, the same size would work for the ProKeds as they are a very similar type sneaker.

But they ran a bit large which caused the tongue to bunch up near the toe area so… off they went by way of Poshmark. SOLD!

IMG_8711.jpeg

Well… today they have returned.
IMG_8703.jpeg

But this time in a half-size smaller.
IMG_8704.jpeg

But with the same great retro look that we all know (and love) that is the Royal-Lo by ProKeds.

IMG_8706.jpeg
IMG_8707.jpeg
IMG_8708.jpeg
IMG_8709.jpeg

Welcome back! 😀😎

IMG_8713.jpeg

FarmerTan

Not long ago, I sold a pair of the Royal-Lo ProKeds. They were a Size 10.5 US and due to their loose construction, 10.5 was just a bit too big. I thought that since I wore a 10.5 US in a Jack Purcell by Converse, the same size would work for the ProKeds as they are a very similar type sneaker.

But they ran a bit large which caused the tongue to bunch up near the toe area so… off they went by way of Poshmark. SOLD!

View attachment 1808979

Well… today they have returned.
View attachment 1808985

But this time in a half-size smaller.
View attachment 1808986

But with the same great retro look that we all know (and love) that is the Royal-Lo by ProKeds.

View attachment 1808982View attachment 1808983View attachment 1808981View attachment 1808980

Welcome back! 😀😎

View attachment 1808992
You really should have grown up to be a foot model my friend!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Yesterday, while Mrs. Gold was dragging me all over God’s creation going from store to store, we stopped in a Famous Footwear store.

While she was shopping around she chided me into trying on a pair of “dad sneakers”. I took a look and thought… 🤔: Uhhh… I don’t think so.

But then I tried them on, or rather, slipped them on and now I’d like to show you my latest addition to the sneek collection:

IT’S OFFICIAL… I got the Dad Sneaker.

The Skechers Slip-ins.

Not a bad looking sneaker but man, comfortable, not to mention not having to tie laces which, let’s face it, is becoming more of an adventure as we begin to pile on the years.
IMG_9128.jpeg

IMG_9129.jpeg
IMG_9135.jpeg
IMG_9134.jpeg
IMG_9131.jpeg
IMG_9132.jpeg

IMG_9133.jpeg

And hey… they’re machine washable. :lol:
IMG_9137.jpeg

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Not a bad looking sneaker but man, comfortable, not to mention not having to tie laces which, let’s face it, is becoming more of an adventure as we begin to pile on the years.

Good looking shoe. Certainly looks very comfortable, Bob.

Sadly, they're still too "sporty" looking for my frame and impaired gait, and so not something I would personally wear these days, but I almost wish I could feel (mentally) comfortable wearing that style shoe.

As for the no-tie, I'm already a bit ahead of you as you know, with the conversions to silicone laces that I've been doing. They do make life so much easier, and they are so much more comfortable as the feet expand through the day. I have even been considering trying a pair of Chelsea boots, which again is not a look I have connected with since I was much more active.

I think you've made a good choice stepping out of your style comfort zone a little, and will most certainly be rewarded for the additional comfort they bring (much like you did with your transition from hard leather dress shoes to suede).

FarmerTan

Yesterday, while Mrs. Gold was dragging me all over God’s creation going from store to store, we stopped in a Famous Footwear store.

While she was shopping around she chided me into trying on a pair of “dad sneakers”. I took a look and thought… 🤔: Uhhh… I don’t think so.

But then I tried them on, or rather, slipped them on and now I’d like to show you my latest addition to the sneek collection:

IT’S OFFICIAL… I got the Dad Sneaker.

The Skecher Slip-ins.

Not a bad looking sneaker but man, comfortable, not to mention not having to tie laces which, let’s face it, is becoming more of an adventure as we begin to pile on the years. View attachment 1821143

View attachment 1821147View attachment 1821148View attachment 1821149View attachment 1821150View attachment 1821151

View attachment 1821152

And hey… they’re machine washable. :lol:
View attachment 1821153
You've sold me! I have been wondering about these, and have yet to hear a bad report. My back will thank you, I believe.

Top Bottom