What's new

J-Nat v C12K?

I'm considering taking the J-Nat plunge, and I have a couple of questions for the forum as I get started with my research. What's the difference between a J-Nat and a C12K? C12Ks are so much cheaper, are J-Nats that much better? Anybody tried the Ohira Awaseto that Martin is offering at Rasurpur.de (http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html)?

I've read a few posts on J-Nats and am intrigued about the sharpness and how long you can get an edge to last of a J-Nat. It sounds like, if I do venture down this path, the best method is to strike up a conversation with a reputable dealer like Japan-Tool and find a good stone that way.

I'm currently using a coti and finishing up on a CrOx strop. I've used the 3K/8K Naniwa combo but prefer the coti. I like the finish I'm getting of the CrOx, but it doesn't last that long. So, I'm looking at adding a finisher beyond my coti with water. Since I prefer the coti to the Naniwas, I'm figuring I'd prefer a natural finisher to a synthetic one.

So that's my story. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated, especially on my opening two questions.

Thanks.

If you thought cotis were tricky well Jnats have a deeper learning curve IMO/YMMV. I've been honing on coticules for over a year now but have had a Jnat for the same amount of time but just recently have been playing with it again. Like coticules, Jnats are all different and most, unless you buy it from someone who has used it and can give you feedback will be a crap shoot of what quality you get. Some finish better and some will hone with naguras very well.

Are you wanting to hone with it or use it as a finisher? Honing with a Jnat and finishing with a Jnat are two different animals.

I don't know Martin's stone but I think you could do as well for less money. I follow the coticule with this Honyama Quarry Stone from Dick. There is also a thread on it. I also got a nice stone from So Yamashita for about $150.00. The site says temporarily closed but that's just to cut down the flow of inquiries because he really does spend a lot of time and energy to find you the right stone. I highly recommend him.

I also tried the Chinese People's Hone and didn't care for it but, based on recent posts about it, I probably didn't get one of the good ones, so there some risk there.

Last edited:
If you are willing to take the time to learn to use it, a J-Nat would be my recommendation. If not, I'd skip the C12K altogether. CrOx, IMHO, will give a similar edge much more quickly. Those C12Ks are ridiculously slow.

Top Bottom