What's new

IWB holster

I had the Sparks Summer Special and the Galco equivalent. Both were alright but as mentioned...bulky. That's the nice thing about the Ritchie Hideaways...you barely know they're there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have never liked IWB holsters. My larger handguns ride in an OWB holsters covers with a loose shirt (open carry is allowed in my state). For a deeper concealment, I usually have S&W J-frame in a pocket or ankle (mostly when driving) holsters.

This said, I would like to find a comfortable tuckable IWB holster for a Glock 19. Plan to carry at 4 o'clock, forward cant, high ride. Must not collapse when gun is drawn and allow for a reasonably easy rehosltering.

Any recommendation? Personal experience is always a big +.

I'm real happy with Vedder holsters. I have a tuckable one for my Ruger GP100 4" revolver. Actually fell asleep in the Lazyboy with it in the 5 o'clock position. Was a good price too. I'm 6' and weigh 150 lbs.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
My question is for those of you who by choice or local rule feel the need to carry "tuckable" IWB holsters, do you often use the aforementioned feature?? Seems as in a lot of environments an untucked shirt is sartorially accepted (at least around here it is).
Or do you just use the holster and throw on a shirt/jacket/etc and that be that??

I usually use the tucked IWB when in business casual clothes and it's too hot to wear a jacket. When in blue jeans and polo shirt going to the store or something I do untucked shirt. If I tuck my shirt in (you heathen you, Ace) I usually use a DeSantis IWB tuckable that is just a pouch that will hold my Colt Cobra or my S&W L frame...either one. If I carry my Colt Officer's ACP, even though I love my Crossbreed IWB, I usually Mexican carry that one just stuffed under my tucked in shirt at about 4:30.

If you are so inclined to carry a firearm in the "tucked" mode, how often do you practice bringing the weapon up to presentation? Although this is not rocket science, it does require some technique and facing up to a confrontation is NOT the best time to begin working on the aforementioned method of drawing the weapon.

Anyone???

Although I've never had to draw from a tucked mode in a crisis situation, my plan is to raise the shirt with my off hand and then run, hide, whatever until I can get my handful of shirttail and the weapon separated. :001_smile

It's a heck of a lot easier to draw from OWB when your pucker factor is at 12 though.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I consider carrying "tucked" a step up from being unarmed or having to leave your gun in the car. You won't be winning any quickdraw competitions and will certainly be at a disadvantage if someone "has the drop on you", but with practice it can be done and some people become quite adept at it. And as Simon1 says, I would not be standing still while fumbling with my garments, of course you should never be standing still in a violent encounter anyways.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I consider carrying "tucked" a step up from being unarmed or having to leave your gun in the car. You won't be winning any quickdraw competitions and will certainly be at a disadvantage if someone "has the drop on you", but with practice it can be done and some people become quite adept at it. And as Simon1 says, I would not be standing still while fumbling with my garments, of course you should never be standing still in a violent encounter anyways.

Now that I'm getting older, I probably should try to refine my dress style and experiment more with tucked carry. If I'm not in a police uniform, I am probably wearing a pair of 5.11's and a squared bottom button up shirt with my trusty Uncle Mike's stuffed in at 4:30.

I have one dress suit, to marry my daughter's in and be buried in. First mission has been completed, now it's just about keeping the suit clean until I die. :)

My question is for those of you who by choice or local rule feel the need to carry "tuckable" IWB holsters, do you often use the aforementioned feature??

I ought to have mentioned that you can very often be IWB untucked w/suit coat or sport coat on the way to and from that place where you feel you need to be tucked--where "coats off" is the norm, for example. I just hit the men's room on my way in and on my way out and do the tucking or untucking there. (At my age, I'm probably going to be heading for the men's room anyway.)

So your impeded draw is only at your workplace or event where the coat might come off. All other times you're good to go with normal IWB concealment. So it's not as bad as it seems.

Ive always had a problem finding the perfect IWB holster. Im 6'1 145 so its hard for me not to print a Glock 19. But that is what i carried for years until recently switching to a Shield for my EDC. I tried to carry 4 oclock with everything from a Comp tac to an Alien gear with no results other than complete ****.

I moved to wearing my gun apendix style in a Gcode Incog about two years ago and have never looked back. I carry everday im not working with comfort. And even my glock 17 hides well. View attachment 685790

I can agree 100% I'm 5'11 and 130 and I can't wear my revolver in the 4 o clock position it digs into my back but appendix carry is extremely comfortable not to mention easier to draw from for me

kydex to retain the pistol itself, with leather on the skin is the best combo I know of for an IWB. I don't want kydex on my skin or clothes either.

I alternate between a tuckable and paddle, and see/feel no real difference to the draw.

I really like my Alien Gear but can't remember if it is the 2.0 or 3.0. I got it in a combo with the OWB holster as well. I use them anytime I am not going on base and have even worn the IWB for an 8 Hr drive and it never bothered me.

Top Bottom