What's new

Iwasaki ?

We’re all Iwasaki kamisori made with Tamhagane steel even though razor does not have Tamahagane kanji stamped on razor?

I am far from an expert but iwasaki western razors and kamisori razors can be found in tamahagane, carbon steel, and swedish steel and can be told apart by the stamps. I have seen a few iwasaki kamisori razors on ebay being called tamahagane but they are actually the modern day swedish steel so you have to be careful.

I use this page as reference whenever I am looking at iwasaki razors:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have an Iwasaki Tamahagane kamisori that has the kanji stamps for both Iwasaki and Tamahagane, but have noticed many ‘Iwasaki Tamahagane’ kamisori on sale on ebay that appear to show only the Iwasaki stamps. Although now out of stock, www.gents.com have previously listed three types of Iwasaki kamisori - Swedish steel, Shirogami white paper steel and Tamahagane 2chogake - but the photographs of all three types of kamisori appear to show only the Iwasaki stamps...?

The razors on eBay that are being sold as iwasaki tama are not tamahagane razor. Just some guy trying to make money and take advantage of people who don't know.
An Iwasaki tamahagane kamisori will have these stamps. Top 2, 玉鋼 - tamahagane. If not there, the razor isn't tama.
oPJY5mEETJSVM53m1PTWHg.jpg

An Iwasaki western will have the tamahagane kanji, 玉鋼, in addition to a serial number:
IMG_2441.JPG

Top Bottom