What's new

Iwasaki Kamisori Special Forge?

Hi everyone,

Greetings.

I have this iwasaki for sometime but only I notice something about this with others new iwasakis.

There is this 別打㊂岩崎 kanji stamped on it.

But why is 別打 stamped? What is so special about this kamisori?

I hope there will be some info here. :)

Thank you guys in advance.

Best,
Ollie

Attachments

• 4E390FB8-4752-457E-801E-9AD9B2FA9899.jpeg
    4E390FB8-4752-457E-801E-9AD9B2FA9899.jpeg
    693.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 32B749A9-9225-40F6-9FE5-1FD666121807.jpeg
    32B749A9-9225-40F6-9FE5-1FD666121807.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 944EABD7-2AD2-4F28-B3C1-43438E6F82B2.jpeg
    944EABD7-2AD2-4F28-B3C1-43438E6F82B2.jpeg
    540.4 KB · Views: 31
別打 translates as 'specially made/forged' (betsu uchi / betsu da = 'separate hit/strike') The following is a good article about kanji markings/symbols: Japanese markings, kanji, symbols - https://historyrazors.wordpress.com/2016/07/14/kanji-or-japanese-markings-symbols/
Thanks for the info manannan, however it doesn’t say anything about why is it stamped specially made/forged. Is this kamisori made of a different steel or what is this difference between specially forge from the other iwasaki kamisori?

This link you sent has detailed info about all the possible variations of iwasaki kamisori but not much on special forge ones.

Thanks for the info manannan, however it doesn’t say anything about why is it stamped specially made/forged. Is this kamisori made of a different steel or what is this difference between specially forge from the other iwasaki kamisori?

This link you sent has detailed info about all the possible variations of iwasaki kamisori but not much on special forge ones.
Hi Wasabishave. Like yourself, I do not know about the reason(s) for the use of the specially made/forged 別打 stamp; the article on Japanese markings / kanji / symbols gives examples of the 別打 stamp for specially made/forged being used by other kamisori makers, particularly, but not exclusively, in relation to Tamahagane steel. (I have a vintage Iwasaki Tamahagane kamisori which also bears the Kobayashi 小林 kanji stamp and would love to find out more about it.)

From what I was told they were made out of the standard steel and the specially forged was more of an advertisement thing. No idea if that is true or not. I hope David can find more when he visits Mizuochi-san.

From what I was told they were made out of the standard steel and the specially forged was more of an advertisement thing. No idea if that is true or not. I hope David can find more when he visits Mizuochi-san.
I will try for the end of the month, otherwise it will have to wait until September...

Thanks for the reply guys.

I always thought that iwasaki only use Swedish steel?

Standard steel meaning white or blue steel?

Ollie

Top Bottom