What's new

Iwasaki Carbon Steel Kamisori

I've just acquired this lovely vintage Iwasaki but it has markings that I've not seen on an Iwasaki blade before:
proxy.php

Thanks to [MENTION=34276]Kentos[/MENTION] for translating the kanji whic simply say "Carbon Steel" rather than the more familiar "Tamahagane"
So is this one of Shigeyoshi-san's early metallurgical experiments?
proxy.php

It came with a wrapper but I don't know if it's related to the razor in any way:
proxy.php

Oh and guess what? It took an amazing edge...
proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Kentos is wrong. The lettering says "Property of Ouch International. Please return."

Well thanks to Takeshi Aoki from Aframes Tokyo, we have a definitive answer about this blade.
The kanji say Pure Carbon Steel (Tansoko).
This is a vintage Iwasaki and one of Shigeyoshi-san's many experiments with developing a steel to supercede Tamahagane.

Here's Mr Aoki's very helpful answer:
" 'Tansoko' means pure carbon steel blade in Japanese.

The current pure carbon steel (Swedish steel) model does not have the stamp, but I have seen a lot of those stamp model on vintage Iwasaki kamisori before.

I do not know what is the exactly the steel name, because Iwasaki has tried to use so many pure carbon steel before."

Very nice kamisori. I love the wrapping on the handle very much. I would enjoy one like that very much.

First shave with the Iwasaki Pure Carbon Steel today:
proxy.php

That steel's dense and shiny and feels quite brittle a bit like those late 19th Century Silver Steels.

And, like my modern Sweedish Steel Iwasaki, this vintage Iwasaki is quite fussy about angle.
A lot of the other kamisori I've shaved with are quite intuitive and easy going but these Iwasakis seem to require attention to technique. Not really a surprise for something so masterful eh?
And man, what an incredible shave!

Top Bottom