What's new

I've tried to enjoy Special Reserve

I'm not a fan of the Special Reserve either. Pinaud does make a bunch of flavors so you may like another better.

But regular Clubman.... oh yeah... thats the stuff!

+1

I am a huge fan of the regular clubman, and I wish they made a cologne with that fragrance. It's interesting how Pinaud has so many flavors and they are all so different. Guess that's a perk for being in business since 1810... a varied product line!

I've got a whole bunch of Pinaud stuff and the SR is probably my least favorite of them all (although I still like it). BUT, my wife and kids like it so I rotate it more than I would normally.

I've strongly considered a purchase of the Special Reserve because of some favourable reviews I've read, but this thread knocks it down a few pegs!

Seriously, though, I haven't tried the original Clubman yet - I may have the cart before the horse...

Is there anybody here that does get a positive leathery vibe from this? I'm all about getting a good spicy/mossy/leather scent but as soon as people bring up "old lady" it stops me dead in my tracks - that would definitely be a dealbreaker for me. lol

I've strongly considered a purchase of the Special Reserve because of some favourable reviews I've read, but this thread knocks it down a few pegs!

Seriously, though, I haven't tried the original Clubman yet - I may have the cart before the horse...

Is there anybody here that does get a positive leathery vibe from this? I'm all about getting a good spicy/mossy/leather scent but as soon as people bring up "old lady" it stops me dead in my tracks - that would definitely be a dealbreaker for me. lol

No fragrance is immune from YMMV, but "old lady"? Special Reserve?

You may not believe me, as I'm just a lowly jester of the boards, but listen to a man who knows his stuff. When he opines, the smart kids in class listen up.

Have you ever read Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste? Imagine that it's an autumn day in 1635. You're a soldier, long in service, just returned to Madrid. You sit down at a small table in a familiar tavern. You brush off the dust of the road, toss your cloak across the chair next to you, your gloves and hat on top of them. You stretch your legs out in front of you, feel the warm afternoon sun on your face. The wine is strong and fragrant, your well cared-for sword is close at hand. You see an old friend approaching from across the square. It's good to be alive.

That, my friends, is Clubman Special Reserve.

"Old Lady"? Like Hell it is.

Keep in mind that "old lady" and "old man" are highly subjective terms, and human beings are HIGHLY associative with scents and tastes.
There was a time when I was in my late teens that someone playing a particular song (I can't recall what song) would bring into my mind the taste of freshly cooked beets... just as real as if I were chewing them up right there.
The opposite is true as well... scents and tastes can bring forth a very "real" sensation, and that sensation may be completely absent, or different, for another person.
Many of these associations are the result of a blend of scents... "old man" happens to be wearing the Veg, washed his hands with Ivory, and you are standing at a urinal when he walks by... the 3 scents combine in the 4 year old mind.

Many, many, many people refer to "urinal puck" and "cat urine" in relation to Lilac Veg and even Arko shave soap.
All my wife and I get from Arko (and a member I PIF'd some to) get from it is.... soap! Like ivory.
Likewise, neither of us has any unpleasant associations related to any of the Pinaud fragrances, and I have, at last count, 5 of them, including the Veg, Special Reserve, Citrus Musk (another commonly referred to as urine-like), Clubman, and VIBR.

I can't say that I get "leather" from Special Reserve, but my sniffer is not that good. SWMBO describes it as "mossy/sage leathery"

I love Special Reserve and it has a very leather/spice scent to me. You have to remember that scent is very YMMV and that sniffing a bottle won't give a true understanding of the scent. You have to wear it on your skin to know how it is going to react to your body chemistry. Garry carries a wide variety of samples for cheap, http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/, a great way to experience products.

I don't understand where the spice comes in. I've blotted it on paper to try, too. I get none of the descriptions others mention.

In the bottle, I got nothing but a powder scent, which was anything but manly. If it goes full Chuck Norris once it is applied, well, I'll have to take your word for it.

Topgumby, I'm willing to take your word on it - I was just remarking that the "old lady" descriptor gives me pause. That is a place I don't want to go with my aftershaves! I've already read enough good opinions about it from trusted reviewers to justify the purchase. At least it is only $10 after all, so I will give it a shot sooner or later.

cb, that's why scents are so powerful and so interesting to study! I look forward to seeing how this one pans out.

Tried it on skin, too. No matter where applied, paper or skin or from bottle, it resembles nothing but this weird rotten smell.

If you can't stand the initial smell on application, this may not help, but Special Reserve transforms from a wonderful, pungent, manly smell into Zeus's cologne after wearing for about 4 to 6 hours. It is a little strong to wear when going to bed, but it is worth it when awakening the next morning. As always - YMMV. I agree with Blackbeard's Delight above that Pinaud has a terrific, diverse line-up. Add in the reasonable cost per bottle, and I think you will find something that works for you from Clubman. Enjoy your shave!!

Top Bottom