What's new

I've Simplified My Shave Routine (And It's Great!)

I used to use a hot towel, create lather with a brush and bowl, then use a Merkur double edge safety razor chasing BBS shaves every time I shaved. Usually making 3 or 4 passes.

The result was that I was shaving every other day and still getting some irritation and bumps, but nothing major.

Now, I rub some hot water on my face, apply lather from the tub with my fingers (rubbing it in my face with some dabs of hot water, forming lather) and then, use a cheap multiblade Dollar Shave Club razor, I shave with the grain, not counting passes, but just going over any given area until it's clean shaven. I never go against the grain or chase a BBS shave.

The results are great. I almost never get irritation and I can now shave on a daily basis. Shaving daily was tough when I went for BBS shaves because they left me with some irritation if my technique wasn't perfect.

All I'm saying is things have become a lot better since simplifying my routine.

I do still use great shaving creams though. I have noticed that makes a huge difference in my shaves and a great cream makes things so much more comfortable. But I haven't noticed much difference in my shaves, as far as the comfort of my shave, since ditching the extra tools and preparation.

Yeah, life for me got easier when I realized that good enough is good enough. I've found that BBS is great when it happens organically, but if I chase it it'll only end in irritation and weepers. Since I've stopped chasing BBS my shaves have gotten so much more enjoyable. And the BBS that does happen sometimes is a nice little bonus.

Yup, never let perfection get in the way of good enough. Once I discovered this my shave routine was a revelation. Now I do one pass, down strokes only and get awesome comfy shaves.

When I chased BBS perfection my OCD got out of hand and I had to address this with a psychiatrist to learn how to back off.

Used to shave In shower with shampoo and disposable bic. Neck usually was irritated. Bought a de razor and some cremo and my world changed. I knew after that first shave I wouldn't go back to shaving in the shower. Yes I do the whole creating lather and 4 pass shave chasing bbs thing. On the other hand if I wanted to simplify things I would have no trouble with a one pass shave and call it a day.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yeah, life for me got easier when I realized that good enough is good enough. I've found that BBS is great when it happens organically, but if I chase it it'll only end in irritation and weepers. Since I've stopped chasing BBS my shaves have gotten so much more enjoyable. And the BBS that does happen sometimes is a nice little bonus.
Agree. I never do more than two passes.

I have a similar experience to yourself. I always struggled with a DE, no matter how good it was. I now use a Bic Twin Select disposable two blade cart which may appear to some as a cheap piece of junk. Not for me it isn’t! Less passes, more efficiency and ultimately: more comfort.

I can use canned goo too but also like yourself find the better creams and soaps add just a little more luxury to the shave.

Use whatever works, forget the rest!

I have a similar experience to yourself. I always struggled with a DE, no matter how good it was. I now use a Bic Twin Select disposable two blade cart which may appear to some as a cheap piece of junk. Not for me it isn’t! Less passes, more efficiency and ultimately: more comfort.
[Snip]

Use whatever works, forget the rest!

Those Bics are my travel razors whenever I have to take a plane. They are way better than a small chunk of plastic and a pair of cheap blades should be.

I think everyone will eventually find a spot somewhere between the extremes of hardly any prep, foam or gel out of a can, and a simple cartridge razor for a three minute shave and a highly complex ritual (celebration?) that takes the better part of an hour.

I do not use a hot towel, as you did, but wash my face before the shave with a wet sponge, enjoy creating a rich lather with brush and shaving soap/cream, and either use a safety or straight razor.

And I enjoy my morning shaves.
So, while not strictly necessary, my shave routine adds its own small part to my quality of life.

B.

Top Bottom