What's new

I've never tried Bay Rum. Where to start?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I get on jags lasting weeks or months where I practically bathe in bay rum. I've used many over the years, and I've settled on a few cheap faves that come in big bottles and can be splashed around liberally. I buy the pint sized bottles of Gabels 3 at a time; I buy Stephans in either the gallon or the 1.5 litre bottles, and I always have a 12oz naggin of Pinaud Clubman VI in the house. Though the Pinaud isn't really a favourite, it's a classic with an unmatched 'burn'. I also buy St Johns in the 8 oz bottle. It's my "special" bay rum, so it doesn't get used as often as the ones in the plastic bottles. A bottle of St Johns lasts me between 3 and 5 years, and while the scent of each bottle is unmistakably St Johns, each has a slightly unique scent.

I also have a question, being new to the bay rum game. The first I used was pineapple bay from PAA, it gave me a very unique burn (not from the alcohol!) that I immediately loved, it was like being purified by holy fire. Now, that was a sample, I can't find paa bay rum of any kind here in Greece.. only virgin island bay rum from pinaud, which sadly doesn't come with 'the burn'. Why is that? I wonder if pineapple bay has something in it, or does atomic age bay rum also come with said effect? I need it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I also have a question, being new to the bay rum game. The first I used was pineapple bay from PAA, it gave me a very unique burn (not from the alcohol!) that I immediately loved, it was like being purified by holy fire. Now, that was a sample, I can't find paa bay rum of any kind here in Greece.. only virgin island bay rum from pinaud, which sadly doesn't come with 'the burn'. Why is that? I wonder if pineapple bay has something in it, or does atomic age bay rum also come with said effect? I need it.

CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

I like several other of the PAA bay rums but none better than this one.

What's available in Greece is beyond me. I hope you can find a great bay rum.

Stirling bay rums also have a strong burn, but I like the PAA products better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1505487

I like several other of the PAA bay rums but none better than this one.

What's available in Greece is beyond me. I hope you can find a great bay rum.

Stirling bay rums also have a strong burn, but I like the PAA products better.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you! I did order the Jug a while back, but after a few months the package got lost/sent back, post offices here are a MESS. Doug was kind enough to give me a refund, but I'll never order again like this. Currently waiting for his bay rum to get here in the stores, hopefully the 200ml jug -- but I doubt it.

So, what exactly causes the burn? Certainly not clove, Pinaud has it and PAA doesn't.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thank you! I did order the Jug a while back, but after a few months the package got lost/sent back, post offices here are a MESS. Doug was kind enough to give me a refund, but I'll never order again like this. Currently waiting for his bay rum to get here in the stores, hopefully the 200ml jug -- but I doubt it.

So, what exactly causes the burn? Certainly not clove, Pinaud has it and PAA doesn't.

I've no idea what causes the burn, but I'd bet Doug would know.

To me, the burn is pretty mild. I have had splashes deliver a powerful burn which I liked well enough, but I don't know whether it was from the splash or from a too close shave or what.

Clubman.Bay Rum. Virgin Island.480.jpg

There are other bay rums worth trying I think. Anything available where you are other than the Pinaud Clubman VIBR?

I like VIBR well enough.

Royall Lyme.640.4-18.Mine.JPG

This company also makes a good bay rum.

There are many more. Many I've not tried.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you like the burn go with Cat o Nine Tails from Captains Choice.

If you like the burn go with Cat o Nine Tails from Captains Choice.

Thanks for your replies guys! As for this one, we don't have it here unfortunately.

I contacted Doug and he said the burn is because of the Alcohol, an unexpected answer as the burn from his Pineapple Bay came much after the initial alcohol burn, it almost felt like an allergic reaction.. only it wasn't. I am now chasing that and there's no bay rum AS of his where I live, though he did say that they should be arriving soon, not the 200ml jug though. :( Really, that burn was unlike anything else I've felt before, it was purifying, warm as hell.

My grandpa passed away in 1980. One thing I recall in his medicine chest was a bottle of bay rum that had a leaf in the bottle. I've later found out it wasn't a real leaf, just plastic.

Ok so, pinaud reformulated their bay rum and it doesn't have the burn now, great. I don't think I can find any other bay rum with such a low price here.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Ok so, pinaud reformulated their bay rum and it doesn't have the burn now, great. I don't think I can find any other bay rum with such a low price here.

Pinaud reformulated the burn out of their Virgin Island Bay Rum? I must be living under a rock, because this is the first I’m hearing of this?

I use the Ogallala Bay Rum Special Reserve Double Strength Cologne. I splash it on like AS and get the deepest burn. Scent carries on for 3-4 hrs.

Top Bottom