What's new

I've never tried Bay Rum. Where to start?

Yep, never tried it before. I always skipped any bay rum aftershave when browsing as I gave up drinking years ago and assumed it was just some boozy smelling stuff for fans of rum..

But since reading it seems that it is not rum smelling at all but infact a manly spiced concoction!? I'm a big fan of manly and earthy scents like pine tar and I rather like Old spice.

So I guess I'm asking which ones do you fellas recommend most?? I'm eyeing Pinaud Clubman's bay rum as I like the old school fragrant pong of their standard aftershave and who can resist those enormous bottles at bargain prices??

All I ask is that it doesn't actually smell like an alcoholic beverage.

Cheers

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is typically the standard. I would probably start there. Lots of folks on this site really like PAA's Atomic Age Bay Rum. They sell samples. There are others that are liked as well, and most sell samples. Stirling Soap Co and Wet Shaving Products (WPS) come to mind. Good luck!

I'm eyeing Pinaud Clubman's bay rum as I like the old school fragrant pong of their standard aftershave and who can resist those enormous bottles at bargain prices??
I'm a Bay Rum novice too. My first and only Bay Rum product to date is Clubman VIBR which I like (and doesn't smell of booze).

Go for it!
SOTD-Timeless-SSSlim-R_2021-01-22.jpg

Novice here too. I have sauvectico bay rum and it’s clove forward but mild. I probably won’t buy it again but do like the spicy scent. I need to try a sampler.

There are many good ones, though some are too heavy on the clove or synthetic ingredients for me. One of the best ones was Dominica, which is hard to find these days. There is a similar product called Grand Bay.
1611967133934.png
1611967040642.png

What's the general scent profile of bay rum? I read it was like a spiced clove mix and somewhat like a manly Christmas cookie. How varied are the brand's you guys have suggested? Are some completely different and non comparible or are they all within the obvious realms of what you expect?

What's the general scent profile of bay rum? I read it was like a spiced clove mix and somewhat like a manly Christmas cookie. How varied are the brand's you guys have suggested? Are some completely different and non comparible or are they all within the obvious realms of what you expect?
Variations are countless, so most likely NOT within the "obvious realms".

Are all the Fougeres or Cyphres or Ouds the same? Of course not. Same with these Bay Rum fragrances.

I’m going through a bottle of Pinaud VIBR right now. I like the clove forward scent of it, but it does fade quickly. Would I buy another bottle when this one is done? Definitely!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm a huge and long time bay rum fan. I've tried a good many of 'em, but certainly not all.

In my view, the best of the lot are the various bay rums made by PAA.

CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

⬅ This is wonderful stuff. It blew my mind when I first tried it, and it displaced my very long time favorite right away.​
This, their Clâsico, is also excellent. Sometimes I like it better than the Atomic Age, but it's really a day of the week thing.​
Clasico Bay Rum.640.12-5-20.New.JPG
Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

Love my coconut bay rum. Wonderful scent. I think anyone would like it.​
The pineapple has a place, too, in my bay rum world, but I'd guess not everyone would be thrilled by it.

The first three should suit just about any bay rum fan.​
10-27-20.PineappleBayRum.10-27-20..640JPG.JPG

I should also give a shout out to my former long term favorite...

Bay Rhum.jpg

It's still a great bay rum, but no longer the one I reach for.​

With few exceptions the "regular" bay rums are universal pleasing to me. However, that doesn't mean there are no exceptions, and it certainly doesn't mean a bay rum can't be screwed up by trying to turn it into a combination of bay rum and something else. Of course, it's all terribly subjective. I'm not saying anyone should like what I like, but, in my opinion, which is informed only by my nose, the bay rums I've mentioned here are all excellent as are some I've not mentioned that others have talked about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom