What's new

I've Made the Switch!

Until summer is over, I am now a "night time" shaver. Luckily, my beard allows for this. Since one of the most important elements of a good shave is HEAT, I'm swearing off morning shaving, for now. Hot shower, hot rinse, hot lather...well, I'm sweating by the time I finish shaving. And the advantages are wonderful!

Tonight, a leisurely shave with a Gillete (dated A 1 and I have no idea what that means), The Gentlemen's Quarter Coconut Shaving Soap, Vulfix #2234, and polished off with a splash of The Gentlemen's Quarter Bay Rum A/S, I feel great. No rush, no hurry, and a great shave. And...I'm not sweating and on my way to work.

Maybe this fall I'll return to morning shaving. Maybe I'll add a second shave. But for now, I'm shaving in the twilight!

Randy

Randy,

I used to be an ardent morning shaver as well, but I've been having to get up a lot earlier than normal, and I too don't enjoy a sweaty shave.

I've found that my night time shaves are a whole lot more relaxed and enjoyable than my morning shaves.

In an hour and a half it'll be QED's Peppermint & Grapefruit shave stick, whipped up with an ebony T&H Turnback, removed by a Vision, and finished off with some Baxter's ASB.

-Nick

I've been doing late afternoon or early evening shaves for a while... not because of the heat... or for any other good reason, really. My shaves are later in the day b/c they can be since I am working from home... I figure that I can get up and work at home without having to worry about "appearances" and since I don't have AC here at home I always need a shower by the end of the "work day" (i.e. around 5 or 6 pm)... and this way I am freshly shaved whenever I go out in the evening (if I go out in the evening, that is).

Yep, I'm on this wagon too. I shave at night mostly to take time out of the morning routine, since I usually like to run before work, which takes up some time. Also, frankly, I don't think anyone would ever notice at work. I do have a heavy and fast growing beard, but it stays relatively presentable at work. This way, a NMMB said, I am freshly shaven if I go out, or if I stay in.....

Funny, I thought shaving in the evening was the regular time! :wink:

Actually, since I work nights( shift starts @ 10p), it's part of my regular routine- I don't like to rush for anything(much too anal) so shaving when I have a large block of time (i.e. no clock concerns) makes the most sense.

Welcome 2 da club, Ron!( you have been assimilated!) :biggrin:

Marty

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I shaved twice in a day. The morning's the Salter's Mint/Proraso fest was so cooling and enjoyable I decided to have another in the evening as it was so hot and sticky. I waited til 9pm and it felt great.

This morning's shave wasn't so good, left me a little sore. To be honest I didn't really need to shave at all I just wanted another Proraso fix.

Every time that I've had to (or chosen to) shave twice in a day, I gain a whole new respect for those who regularly do this. It truly takes a gentle hand to pull it off.

S

Sam

If I dont push the second shave, I can shave twice a day, no problem. If I shave at night, I still have stubble when I awake, but it is not anywhere near the stubble as when I get home in the evening after shaving in the morning.

When I work the night shift, I shave in the late afternoon which is technically my morning. Does that count?

Another plus of the evening shave is that SWMBO doesn't complain that my face "hurts" (i.e. is rough) when (if) she kisses me... well, doesn't complain as much. If I shave in the morning, or even early afternoon then by bedtime my face feels like rough sandpaper... hell, even when I have a BBS shave at 6 or 7 in the evening the stubble, which is sharp and coarse, will be coming out again by bedtime.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is a evening shaver. With six of us in my house, I found the evening, after the kids have been put to bed, is the best time to have a hot shower and shave. It's also a good way to unwind at the end of the day, and like NMMB suggested, evening showers and shaves are more conducive to affection by SWMBO :001_smile

Holyhabanero said:
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is a evening shaver. With six of us in my house, I found the evening, after the kids have been put to bed, is the best time to have a hot shower and shave. It's also a good way to unwind at the end of the day, and like NMMB suggested, evening showers and shaves are more conducive to affection by SWMBO :001_smile

So I'm not the only one who thinks that way, eh? :001_smile

Despite the advantages of the evening shave, if I were to be out in public (work, meetings, etc) during the day then I would have to shave in the morning rather than having an evening shave (or in addition to).

I dunno, I have to go to meetings pretty regularly, talk to partners now and then, etc. Still, it's a matter of priorities. Sure I might have a little shadow toward the end of the work day, especially when that is after 9pm. But, luckily, no one a work tends to rub their hands on my face, much less do anything else with it.... So I'd rather be clean shaven in the evenings after I get home....

moses said:
Yep, I'm on this wagon too. I shave at night mostly to take time out of the morning routine, since I usually like to run before work, which takes up some time.

Yup, I'm there too. And, really, my DE shaves are so close anyway that by the end of the work day, my face STILL feels nice and smooth.

Peace,

Pierre

moses said:
I dunno, I have to go to meetings pretty regularly, talk to partners now and then, etc. Still, it's a matter of priorities. Sure I might have a little shadow toward the end of the work day, especially when that is after 9pm. But, luckily, no one a work tends to rub their hands on my face, much less do anything else with it.... So I'd rather be clean shaven in the evenings after I get home....

If I know that I'm going to have an important meeting, or have to spend time around people that I think that I may want to make a good impression upon (or if I just want to feel good) during the day I try to shave in the morning ... if I need/want I can always shave again in the evening (and hey, 2 shaves are better than one, right? :001_smile ).

Top Bottom