What's new

I’ve got a problem. Need ideas

I’m repairing a UK Parker Victory Mk 1
I can’t flush the section. I left it to soak for a couple of days. I tried forcing water from where the sac is fitted, nothing comes out.
Ideas?
M

Try an ultrasonic cleaner? I don't know for sure. Pictures may help.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member

Koh-I-Noor Rapido-Eze. Works on pens that someone put crummy ink into, including art and technical drawing inks.

Trust me, I've saved several nice pens other repair guys couldn't budge.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Have you tried a pen flush? Most of the online pen places sell one or you can mix your own from diluted ammonia. Check google for recipes.

Whatever you do, I recommend lots of patience. You don’t want to “force” anything.

Thank you guys, I'll go to the art shop this aftrnoon and see if they have the Rapido-Eze or similar.
In the mean time I've added some dish washing soap to the soaking water. At the bottom of the container I keep seeing heavy ink lurky on the bottom and small black particles.
Attached 3 pictures of the section and my flusher.
section u.JPGIMG_1433.JPGflusher.JPG

Reactions: CCR

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
shall I buy a Knock out block to dismantle the feed and nib from the section ?
If the solution doesn't get rid of the obstruction. You can make a knockout block easily enough, drill the right sized hole in a sturdy block of wood. I've made a couple, just make sure the wood is thick enough to avoid the nib hitting bottom before it's released!

strop

Now half as wise
Patience is a virtue. Soak for a week if you need to. It sounds as if there is a little progress if you are seeing some ink in the water. `If it is ”glued” with India ink or such I would `try Doug’s suggestion before the knock out block. And they are easy to make.

Ink keeps on colouring the water bowl :) I couldn't find anywhere the Koh-i-nor liquid and bought a similar one, Zest-it. I followed the seller's suggestion anf bought the stronger one made for technical ink pens so hope it will be here soon. In the meantime the whole section is immersed in water. Was wondering if I can add something else beside dish washing soap.

If you have some handy try a strong dilution of simple green (try 50/50). It is a mild acid, a bit like lemon juice, so don't let it sit overnight as it will etch metal. Won't hurt plastic or resin.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
... Was wondering if I can add something else beside dish washing soap.

Soaking in a dilute 10:1 solution of water/ammonia can sometimes help speed things up. Lots of pen folks swear by it.

I'd personally avoid the Simple Green mentioned above ... which is actually mildly alkaline and not acidic.

Legion

Staff member
Soaking in a dilute 10:1 solution of water/ammonia can sometimes help speed things up. Lots of pen folks swear by it.

I'd personally avoid the Simple Green mentioned above ... which is actually mildly alkaline and not acidic.
I've had good luck with the diluted ammonia. If the OP is seeing black particles there is every chance some genius filled the pen with India ink. Personally I would do a combo of ammonia soak and ultrasonic clean.

all of the above.. Knock out is last resort. Reseating the nib and feed can be a bit challenging if you have not done a bunch

I’m now giving it a go with fizzy water while I wait for the Zest-it liquid to arrive. I was thinking also of using those tablets that clean dentires bit maybe they are too aggressive. I don’t have a denture though hahaha

Zet-It has finally arrived. I started soaking the nib immediately. I can see many little blobs of ink in the jar. I keep removing it, washing it andd putting it back in. Sometimes I follow the 10 minute limit written on the box and sometimes I soak it for an hour or so if I'm not free. There still is no progress as with the flusher no air flows through at all. I'll keep it going for as much as I have patience :)

I'll look at what ultrasonic devices are available on line

Almost finished the bottle of Zest-It. Still no luck in getting section and nib clean. I ordered the ultrasonic cleaner and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll give it a go all week and see what happens. I hope the purists amongst you will not faint but I also used some WD 40 sprayed into the various nooks and crannies of the feed and nib. Nothing changed either with this test.
I don't think I'm will get anywhere and will have to reply on someone more expert than me.

You might look on the net for rapido eze. I'm not even sure I'm spelling it correctly.

Anyway, I looked at the ingredients for zest it and rapido eze, and they are not the same thing.

Hi Jut, I looked online but could not find it anywhere and my supplier told me to go with this pne:)
My wife is happy about this new gadget anyway hahaha

You might look on the net for rapido eze. I'm not even sure I'm spelling it correctly.

Anyway, I looked at the ingredients for zest it and rapido eze, and they are not the same thing.

Hi Jut, I looked online but could not find it anywhere and my supplier told me to go with this pne:)
My wife is happy about this new gadget anyway hahaha
This is the stuff.

Edited hoping to make it look neater without breaking the link.

I bought some a while ago, but have used it barely if at all. It's supposed to be good at cleaning really badly gunked up feeds, but luckily that's not a problem I've had very often.

Last edited:
Top Bottom