What's new

Ive fallen for a Brit!

So, back in the fall I picked up a Simpson Special S1 in best badger. I always wanted to try a Simpson, so I bought a small, cheap one. I love the brush. Its small but it makes a ton of lather and is super soft.
Since I loved the brush so much, I decided to pick up an Edwin Jagger DE89 with the short handle and in the faux ivory handle. Ive used EJs before and I know theyre a nice shaver but Id forgotten just how smooth and efficent they are. I love that little razor. Ive been using the Derby Extra blades that it came with and those things work just fine. By the 3rd shave they start to get a little dull but I always toss a blade after 3 uses anyways.
So, I also recently saw that Edwin Jagger released a stainless razor and its only $120, so I decided to pick one up from Maggards. Since I was doing an online order, I figured that I would pick up some TOBS. I did the sandalwood, Mr Taylor's, Eton College and Jermyn Street. I used a bit of the sandalwood recently and Id forgotten just how well that stuff works.
I love the EJ316 razor too. To me, its a lot like a Feather ASD2 but more aggressive. Its really a wonderfully crafted razor.
Whats more, Im a big soccer fan and always watched the Bundesliga because of my German heritage but I recently decided to start watching English Premier League instead because the Bundesliga is going to being on ESPN+ next season and Im not going to pay for ESPN+ and EPL is so much faster and the players are so much more athletic. So, I guess Im now an Arsenal fan.
So yeah, I guess you could say that Ive fallen for a Brit in the general sense.

So, back in the fall I picked up a Simpson Special S1 in best badger. I always wanted to try a Simpson, so I bought a small, cheap one. I love the brush. Its small but it makes a ton of lather and is super soft.
Since I loved the brush so much, I decided to pick up an Edwin Jagger DE89 with the short handle and in the faux ivory handle. Ive used EJs before and I know theyre a nice shaver but Id forgotten just how smooth and efficent they are. I love that little razor. Ive been using the Derby Extra blades that it came with and those things work just fine. By the 3rd shave they start to get a little dull but I always toss a blade after 3 uses anyways.
So, I also recently saw that Edwin Jagger released a stainless razor and its only $120, so I decided to pick one up from Maggards. Since I was doing an online order, I figured that I would pick up some TOBS. I did the sandalwood, Mr Taylor's, Eton College and Jermyn Street. I used a bit of the sandalwood recently and Id forgotten just how well that stuff works.
I love the EJ316 razor too. To me, its a lot like a Feather ASD2 but more aggressive. Its really a wonderfully crafted razor.
Whats more, Im a big soccer fan and always watched the Bundesliga because of my German heritage but I recently decided to start watching English Premier League instead because the Bundesliga is going to being on ESPN+ next season and Im not going to pay for ESPN+ and EPL is so much faster and the players are so much more athletic. So, I guess Im now an Arsenal fan.

Are you sure about the choice in the latter? My good friend is a season ticket holder for Arsenal, and he seems to have a lot of despair! Just a joke in jest, I hope you enjoy watching the EPL.

Good to hear you are finding pleasure in the UK made products. My favourite UK soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat and I recommend trying it sometime if you have the chance to do so.

I'm not a huge fan of Badgers (yet) but the little Simpson Berkeley 46 Best I was gifted is one hell of an efficient little lathering machine! Very classy well made product. I find they work great especially lathering British hard soaps for some reason, it's like they're made for each other. Enjoy your brush soaps and razor! The Brits are alright by me too.

Are you sure about the choice in the latter? My good friend is a season ticket holder for Arsenal, and he seems to have a lot of despair! Just a joke in jest, I hope you enjoy watching the EPL.

Good to hear you are finding pleasure in the UK made products. My favourite UK soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat and I recommend trying it sometime if you have the chance to do so.
I hear you. A friend of mine is a big Arsenal fan and he told me the same. I've been a Dortmund fan for the past few years, so I figure I'm pretty well prepared for disappointment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not a huge fan of Badgers (yet) but the little Simpson Berkeley 46 Best I was gifted is one hell of an efficient little lathering machine! Very classy well made product. I find they work great especially lathering British hard soaps for some reason, it's like they're made for each other. Enjoy your brush soaps and razor! The Brits are alright by me too.
It kind of makes you wonder why people spend $150 for a Chubby 2.
My wife bought me a Simpson Wee Scott for Xmas and it looks like a toy but it face lathers like a beast.

I totally forgot about Bulldog. I use their face wash, beard oil, beard shampoo and face moisturizer.
It's good stuff and reasonably priced.

It kind of makes you wonder why people spend $150 for a Chubby 2.
My wife bought me a Simpson Wee Scott for Xmas and it looks like a toy but it face lathers like a beast.

I personally find the large/extra dense badgers overkill/uncomfortable but they sure have their fair share of fans around here! But yes I agree, even the smallest version of a Simpson makes lather with the best of them.

There is quite a bit of quality shaving goods that come from Great Britain. Congratulations on your enjoyable shaves.

Great taste!! The main thing is to understand what makes you happy, then stick with that!!

At least that’s how I try to prioritize things! :a29: :a29:

Congrats on the Simpson S1 Special Badger brush.......I have one, great brush!

As for the EPL........Let's Go Gunners!!!!! We need them to stay 4th or 5th, sell out the Emirates, and get eliminated in the first round of the champions league.

I've picked up a couple other British razors in the meantime. One is an EJ 3One6 and the other is a Gillette Rocket. The EJ is a wonderful razor the is kind of medium aggressiveness.
The Rocket I picked up for cheap on Ebay because it was grungy and had some pretty serious oxidation. I gave it a scrub down with some Beekeepers Friend, followed by a soak in some Scrubbing Bubbles, followed by a soak in alcohol and it's almost like new. The tto mechanism is still a bit sticky but I put some mineral oil down the threads and it seemed to help.
I've also got a British Gillette flair tip and a British Gillette Tech on the way too, just to kind of round out the collection.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I got around to taking the Rocket for its maiden shave and wow. I've owned quite a few vintage Gillettes and Super Speeds from various eras and I see why these Rockets are so sought after.
The shave was mild and comfortable but very efficient. I only did 2 passes and was able to get a near BBS shave.

Top Bottom