What's new

I’ve done it! I’ve purchased my very own Merkur 39c Sledgehammer razor!

Happy birthday, great choice in your gift to yourself.
Oh and my wife has given up on me and knows I'm crazy 🤣.. what, another soap, razor, etc

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
If anyone is interested, here is my wife and I celebrating my birthday and the purchase of my new 39c Sledgehammer razor! (My wife has given me permission to upload this pic).

Jason.
Don't see how you made it out of that shop with only a razor. Good self-control! Happy birthday and many more to come.

Don't see how you made it out of that shop with only a razor. Good self-control! Happy birthday and many more to come.

Thanks for your reply! I did look at the other razors but I really had my heart set in the Sledgehammer. I just want one razor to last the rest of my life.

Jason.

Thanks for all the replies! I will let you know how I get along with my new Sledgehammer.

Jason.

Happy birthday, great choice in your gift to yourself.
Oh and my wife has given up on me and knows I'm crazy 🤣.. what, another soap, razor, etc
I still have my Mach3 which I will keep for travelling purposes and my Beautytrack razor which my wife uses to even the back of my neck when I shave my head (I use an electric clipper for that).

Jason.

Congratulations and HAPPY BIRTHDAY

When my wife asked me if there was a razor or brush I wanted to buy for my birthday, I explained to her that I was participating in a sabbatical and wouldn't be buying anything related to shaving for the rest of the year. I saw her desperately attempting to suppress a smile... but I definitely detected a sigh of relief :cool:

Hello everyone!

I have some Feather, Merkur and Treet blades in my bathroom cabinet. This question is highly subjective but which one would be a good starter blade for my Sledgehammer? I am a bit dubious about starting with a Feather blade given how sharp they are.

By the way here is a pic of my new razor.

Jason.
D29C05C6-BB60-4E48-8D93-677F82709BB5.jpeg

Last edited:
If the Merkur blade was just loose in the box, chuck it away. It is probably damaged already. If it was somehow secured, then start with that. In my opinion, Treet blade disqualifies itself. Feather would be perfect, as they usually are, considering the fact that you already are aware of its potential. Just take it easy.
Enjoy the journey.

About the Sledgehammer, it is awesome. First thing that came to mind was: that's a big boy! :biggrin1:

Never had one but read only superlatives.

If the Merkur blade was just loose in the box, chuck it away. It is probably damaged already. If it was somehow secured, then start with that. In my opinion, Treet blade disqualifies itself. Feather would be perfect, as they usually are, considering the fact that you already are aware of its potential. Just take it easy.
Enjoy the journey.

About the Sledgehammer, it is awesome. First thing that came to mind was: that's a big boy! :biggrin1:

Never had one but read only superlatives.
Good point. I will bin the free blade it came with as it was indeed loose. I have a pack of Merkur blades anyway so I think I will start with the said brand.

Jason.

Thanks for that! It took me a lot of time and research to finally set my heart on the 39c. (Hence me updating my profile pic to show me holding the Sledgehammer instead of my Beautytrack). Another razor that I had my eyes on was the Merkur Progress. I did hold one in the shop and it did indeed feel rather nice, but what refrained me from buying one is that I was worried about spending too much time with the adjustment knob and not concentrating on the actual shaving technique. To me its a bit like buying a car with all the different transmission options like Comfort, Sport, Eco etc and spending a lot of time deciding which one is 'the best'.

I also held the Futur but I didn't like it at all; too gimmicky and toy-like. If I was to buy a razor to compliment my Sledgehammer, it would be an open comb razor. I quite like how they look and work.

Jason.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Happy birthday and maybe in a while you will understand why I don't show my wife new razors anymore! :LMS

The Sledgehammer is one sweet razor. Smooth and comfortable!
Totally agree there. I am holding it now as I type this. I think its one of the Rolls Royce of razors. You have to prise it out of my cold dead hands. Going to try some other brands of blades in it. So far it has been used with the Merkur blade. When that blade gets dull I will try it with a Feather blade.

Jason.

Happy birthday and maybe in a while you will understand why I don't show my wife new razors anymore! :LMS
My wife really likes the feel of the Sledgehammer on her legs. I said to her she can borrow it; I'll just put a new blade in it for her beforehand. And think of all that plastic my wife and I are saving by not buying those plasticky disposable/cartridge razors anymore!

Jason.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Thanks for that! It took me a lot of time and research to finally set my heart on the 39c. (Hence me updating my profile pic to show me holding the Sledgehammer instead of my Beautytrack). Another razor that I had my eyes on was the Merkur Progress. I did hold one in the shop and it did indeed feel rather nice, but what refrained me from buying one is that I was worried about spending too much time with the adjustment knob and not concentrating on the actual shaving technique. To me its a bit like buying a car with all the different transmission options like Comfort, Sport, Eco etc and spending a lot of time deciding which one is 'the best'.
Jason, I was meaning that if I went inside the Trumper's shop I would likely come out with cream, aftershave, EdT, maybe a brush ... not a single razor! No soap, though.

I'm a huge Merkur slant fan solidly recommending the 37C or what I like, the vintage 37. Just prefer the short handle razors.

full

Top Bottom