What's new

I've developed SBAD. Help me pick the cure.

Okay. I only found this forum a few months ago, but I'm already obsessed with wet shaving. I started with a Semogue 1520. Which is a great brush, but lead me to think there's probably better brushes. Sticking with Semouge, I purchased both the SOC boar and 2-band. Again, I've been very happy with both these brushes. But that hasn't stopped me from looking. Now I'm looking at even fancier and more luxurious brushes. I know that there's probably not a lot a performance gain on the more expensive brushes, but some of them are just so damn sexy.

There are three that I have my eye on, I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm not committed to these brushes, so I'm willing to hear any recommendations. I mostly bowl lather. I don't mind a bit of scritch, and I do like a firm brush. I'm undecided about fan vs bulb, all the brushes I have are fan shaped. The Shavemac and H.L. Thater are both bulbs, and the Simpsons' is fan shaped. All three are between $150-$165. The Shavemac will cost me another $15 in shipping; the H.L Thater and Simpsons would include delivery.

Which would you choose? and why? Thanks for any replies.

1. Shavemac 2408 D01
$1646_2.jpg

2. H.L Thater Silvertip 26mm clear handle
$HL Thater.jpg
3. Simpsons Polo 8
$Simpsons.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, there is no cure for SBAD. It just goes into remission from time to time. Second, I would vote for the Simpsons, as it is something that is such a staple, everyone should try one. They really are a great brush.

This is just the beginning of SBAD. In fact the correct B&B response is, Get all of them! But my answer has to be Shavemac. I don't care at all for Simpson Best Badger, and though I love the softness of Thater 3-band, it sounds like you're going for a firmer backbone. Shavemac D01 is an excellent grade of hair.

This is just the beginning of SBAD. In fact the correct B&B response is, Get all of them! But my answer has to be Shavemac. I don't care at all for Simpson Best Badger, and though I love the softness of Thater 3-band, it sounds like you're going for a firmer backbone. Shavemac D01 is an excellent grade of hair.
+1 to the D01 2band.

I'm drawn to the Thater, partly because I prefer bulb shaped knots, but also because the handle is elegant and the contour looks easy to grip.

Dave

Go with the Shavemac D01 2-Band, or a Morris and Forndran Blonde Badger, or a Rooney Heritage. Stay away from Simpsons if you want to "attempt to cure" SBAD. Staying away from this site does help as well...But where is the fun in that?

I have a crush on that Polo, just a matter of time before I reoffend and buy another brush. I have a Shavemac D01 Two Band and it is a very firm brush. I haven't fully bonded with it like my Colonel, Thater, Vie-Long or QED Select (oh yeah, your gonna need one of these) - but the D01 is a soap eating monster.

I am finding it less generous with the lather release than its rotation partners so I give it an every three day go vs the every five day spot while I try to sort it out

But from the choices presented above: Polo

I would pick the Thater as their bulb shape has plenty of backbone and the softest tips imaginable. I prefer the Shavemac D01 in 3-band as I've found the 2-band to scritchy for me...same goes for the Simpson best. No scritch is of course is a personal preference, but I think the Thater would provide the most contrast to your current brushes. If you prefer to stay with that feel then go for the Shavemac.

Thanks for all the great replies. Especially Mistervee123, who probably had the most sane reply. But I'm afraid if I buy one more Semogue, I'll be a fan boy for life and never try another brand ever. I've got to break the cycle.

:biggrin1:

It seems like a lot of people are recommending M&Fs and Rooneys. I'm curious why people are recommending these brands over Simpsons and Thater. Is it because they've collected all the Simpsons/Thater brushes they can handle and have moved on; or are the M&Fs and Rooneys just inherently better? If they're better is it because of the hair quality, handle quality and/or service?

I really like this Morris & Forndran Style 1 Size 2
$M&F S1S2 Black Detail.jpg

and this Rooney Heritage Emillion 2
$Emilllion 2 Detail.jpg

However, as a Canadian, I'm having a hard time sourcing either of these brands. Vintage Blades doesn't appear to ship to Canada, and other distributors don't seem to have the same selection. Any Canadians have success sourcing either brand?

One last question: I've read a lot of threads on shaving brushes, but I'm still not sure the difference between bulb and fan shape. Everything I've read states that it's personal preference, but what is it that makes you prefer one over the other?

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still partial to the Shavemac, because it looks so damn fine and I like the thought of stiff, soft bristles. But I've love to hear why everyone's raving about the M&Fs and Rooneys.

Last edited:
I decided on the Shavemac—it's on the way. Thanks for all the feedback.

And damn all of you who recommended a Rooney, because now I've looked at them I want one. As I mentioned above, I'm having a hard time sourcing these brushes, especially the Heritage series. Any other Canadians have any luck? Looks like Truefitt & Hill may be the best option. They appear to be re-branded Rooneys, and they offer shipping to Canada (and a B&B discount). They don't seem to offer any 2 band options though.

Top Bottom