What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

You'll have to fight me for it, KJ. I may even exceed my spending limit of $5!
Ha!

If it doesn't cover my supplies, shipping and time, I'll be bidding on it. :w00t:

Having held it and played with hold styles, it is going to be hard to let go.

Last edited:
Easy guys, easy....the auction hasn't started yet. :lol:

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to harvest a fork and get it done in time, but I will.

It's an honor to donate and help beat this terrible disease.

Easy guys, easy....the auction hasn't started yet. :lol:

I wasn't sure I was going to be able to harvest a fork and get it done in time, but I will.

It's an honor to donate and help beat this terrible disease.

agreed! I've instructed my credit card to feel the same way.

Dang Bruce, you have taken off like a rocket with this. Lookin' good.

I'd love to have one of your handmade wood ones that you make though. If it can be shipped through customs up there. I need to learn how to tie the bands on with the rubber thingies.

If it stops raining tomorrow I may pull my catch box out.

After the auction, I plan on making a few more.

Tying bands is ultra easy, I'll send you a video link if you need. It's simple office elastics and your thumb or a small pair of needle nose, that's it. Wrap & Tuck.

If you are still interested and shooting, one of these is going to be yours.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have a squirrel problem.
Targets only for this guy. While I'm not against shooting pests and hunting for meat, it's not my thing. Not to mention, you need a deadly powerful and accurate shot to guarantee a humane kill shot.

I keep bugging my wife about cooking or Smoking squirrel though. She isn't going for it. Lots of slingshot guys hunt squirrel for meat, apparently quite tasty.

Luckily our dog Rita is quite the backyard hunter. She keeps them out of our yard. She brought one in through the dog door once and plopped it on the living room floor....still crawling. That was quite the adventure.

Targets only for this guy. While I'm not against shooting pests and hunting for meat, it's not my thing. Not to mention, you need a deadly powerful and accurate shot to guarantee a humane kill shot.

I keep bugging my wife about cooking or Smoking squirrel though. She isn't going for it. Lots of slingshot guys hunt squirrel for meat, apparently quite tasty.

Luckily our dog Rita is quite the backyard hunter. She keeps them out of our yard. She brought one in through the dog door once and plopped it on the living room floor....still crawling. That was quite the adventure.

Thanks for the insight, Bruce.

You can always bid and win the one going in the auction and get rid of them yourself. :w00t:

I'm hoping to pick up some ParaCord for the lanyard tonight or tomorrow.

I am looking forward to seeing it in the auction.

I am pretty good with a .177 air rifle and scope for pest control.

Amen on a humane kill shot.

Another natural with some deadfall found in a local forest. I was very happy to see the grain pop, no worm holes or cracks. I have no idea why this one turned out the way it did, but I couldn't be happier with it.

Hand carved and finished up to 600 grit, then micro pads took over. Soaked in tung oil, multiple coats after that, paste wax and buffed. Ends were sealed with epoxy.

Small, pocketable, all natural...just the way I like them. A few curves, a few naturals crevasse and plenty of character.

Dimensions:
Overall: 5-1/4"
Fork Gap: 2"
Fork length: 1-3/4"
Fork diameter: 1"

With winter coming, I won't be able to shot much. I'm going to try and build as much as I can though.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's what I get for trying to avoid the giant thumb blister:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Size comparison shot:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Thanks [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION]

I managed to start another one the other night and am just awaiting some more Tung Oil before completing it. But I couldn't resist banding it up and taking it out for a few shots this afternoon.

It's another piece of local deadfall. Unknown wood, but tested in my clamping station and withstood my strength using the rope and pull test.

Hand carved, sanded, oiled and still needs to be waxed. It measures about 5-1/2" overall and 1-3/4" fork gap. I added more curves to this one than my previous ones and it feels great.

Once I put a few coats of Tung on it and wax it, I'll seal the fork tips for good measure.

Before and showing thickness of wood:
proxy.php

Rough shaping on Scroll Saw:
proxy.php

Detail shaping with file:
proxy.php

Still needs some more oil & wax:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I cut my first card today.

It was only from 6m/20ft, but man did it ever feel good

For those wondering what this is: you clamp a card in a vise, skinny side towards you so all you see is a paper thin area, step back to shooting distance and shoot. The object is to cut the entire width of the card, cleanly, not partial or at the clamping area. You should get a cut all the way across but still have some of the card in the vise

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom