What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Make sure to check the bands for wear/drying and wear eye protection.

Bands will dry out over time unless stored properly.

Thanks, I likely would have neglected eye protection! Nice to see there's environmentally friendly ammo options as well. I live in the river valley in Calgary close to The Bow, so try to keep things 'clean'.

Thanks, I likely would have neglected eye protection! Nice to see there's environmentally friendly ammo options as well. I live in the river valley in Calgary close to The Bow, so try to keep things 'clean'.
When I camp, I shoot clay or sometimes I even make it. We canoe out to a secret spot, dive down, dig it out of the lake bottom, roll it, dry it and shoot it a few days later.

Amazon has some decent clay ammo. It explodes on hard impact (tree, rock, wood) but can be re-shot if shot against a hanging paper target and a drop cloth (catchbox).

River Rock is always cool to search for and shoot too. That's old school and goes hand in hand with slingshot shooting.

None of the above are as accurate and powerfully hard hitting as steel ball bearings. But clay is a lot better for the environment and doesn't raise as many eyebrows. The act of slingshot shooting is usually something I do when no one is around and be aware of your range and where the projectiles are headed.

We used to have slingshot battles with crabapples. I shot a kid off of a tree fort with a twig and berries shot. He went down like a cowboy in a western. Kids talked about it for years and he took a lot of crap over it. I still have scars from BB gun battles. It was like Fight Club. The first rule of battles was no one talks about it with parents.

Lol, sounds like some pretty good battles.
I remember when I was with a few cousins and we were throwing green walnuts, man they hurt. We had walnut trees to get behind though.

Legion

Staff member
We used to have slingshot battles with crabapples. I shot a kid off of a tree fort with a twig and berries shot. He went down like a cowboy in a western. Kids talked about it for years and he took a lot of crap over it. I still have scars from BB gun battles. It was like Fight Club. The first rule of battles was no one talks about it with parents.
We would shoot each other with gumnuts. They hurt a lot. I'm surprised nobody lost an eye.

images.jpeg

We would shoot each other with gumnuts. They hurt a lot. I'm surprised nobody lost an eye.

View attachment 1824998
Between the BB guns, wrist rockets, M-80s, gunpowder, bows and arrows I agree 100%. Someone should have at least lost an eye.

One year we went to Florida and my father bought a load of fireworks. He had the big stuff, I had the firecrackers and bottle rockets. They got tired of me asking for matches so they gave me a cigarette to light the fireworks. I couldn’t have been more than ten. In no way would I have done that with my kids and if a neighbor saw it today CPS would have been called. It was the first time I tried to smoke and my dad thought it was hilarious. He told me they hid behind the curtain, watched and laughed all day, they never said a thing to me until years later.

We were raised like feral cats. Out the door in the morning, in at lunch. Back out until dinner, back out until dark. And people wonder why we were so resilient.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
What's not to like about a silent, less lethal, non-firearm option? Should keep one in every BOB.

😋 For the thread veer, bottle rocket fights are a thing in the south. My own innovation was flour grenades, wrapping mom's Gold Medal into thin paper napkins tied off with a rubber band. 🤔 I can still see Billy T looking like he just pulled his head out of a snow bank... Flour sticks to eyebrows.

AA

Top Bottom