What's new

I've bought my first vintage razor (a Superspeed)! Tell me about my choice!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That's awesome!
They're beautiful legendary guitars and awesome heirlooms.
One of them has a rosewood body and has the sweetest voice... the other is an ebony body.. it's a quite a bit louder... stronger bass and treble both but still pretty sweet. They are both dreadnaughts.

After using both my flare tip and the red tip, I think I equally like both. Hard to choose a winner!
They're both fantastic!
The flare tip and the blue tip are both great razors too. I think it’s more due to slight variations in the individual razors than flare tips or blue tips in general

There's a certain magical charm shaving with an 85 year old razor that was made back when slogan "The Best a Man Can Get" still applies.
New SC with BiC Blades.jpg

I have a Flair tip SS in lovely shape and it works fine. I think mine is a '64. But I use others (ball end Techs) far more often.

I've just picked up 2 more vintage Gillette's!

A few days ago I put rather low bids on both of them on The Bay. I honestly didn't expect anything and didn't even follow the auctions. Today I surprisingly got 2 emails that I had won both auctions:)
They both seem to be in pretty nice shape and I believe that I got them both at a good price:
1. A 1962 Slim adjustable
2. A 1976 Super Adjustable 109

full

full

@LRod , you know to loosen the TTO doors before attempting to adjust the aggression, right?
Nope!
They're gonna be my first Gillette adjustables.
Never even seen one in person so it's a new thing for me. Thanks for bringing that up!
I would've probably broke them, Lol!!

That makes sense. I've had to do that with quite a few things. I do them naturally... but when the question arises, I have to pause and think about what I do and why I ended up choosing to do it that particular way.
Kim, my two cents in this is that I use short strokes and flip sides when one side is full (with lather). I use both sides during one shave. It could be that one side gets more exposure than the other because I don’t keep track that much. After the shave I rinse, disassemble and dry my gear including the blade (I AM very methodical when it comes to keeping my gear clean - bordering OCD). And then I just reload the blade ready for the next shave. I ride that blade as far as it will comfortably take me. I do shave cold by the way.

One thing I still need to investigate and follow up on is flipping the blade IN my razor (i.e. changing which side is up). Tried it couple of times but it appeared to make no difference. However seeing @GaryTha ’s routine still makes me wonder if I can increase performance.

Best,

Guido

I am curious @LRod how you will keep your rotation going. If I recall correctly you have a number of recently purchased Fatips as well. Or is that just the echo of the rabbit hole? :biggrin1:

Great catches by the way. They all look amazing. And I am with you on should have taken the vintage train sooner. They are marvellous shavers (that is not plural for me by the way, but ok).

Cheers,

Guido

I am curious @LRod how you will keep your rotation going.
I don't know, I'm still trying to figure that out, Lol!!
I typically use most of my razors. I use a different one every couple of days. What I'm trying to figure out is the order of use. I'm sure I'll end up using the "most liked" and shelf or sell the ones that I like least. Problem is that right now I really like almost all of them.
And the Fatip's are great!
I like them because they're brass, cheap & charming. Plus they shave great. They're modern razors that remind me a lot of vintage razors!

I don't know, I'm still trying to figure that out, Lol!!
I typically use most of my razors. I use a different one every couple of days. What I'm trying to figure out is the order of use. I'm sure I'll end up using the "most liked" and shelf or sell the ones that I like least. Problem is that right now I really like almost all of them.
And the Fatip's are great!
I like them because they're brass, cheap & charming. Plus they shave great. They're modern razors that remind me a lot of vintage razors!
Absolutely! Fatip are nicely placed between vintage and modern with maximum efficiency as an added bonus. And they are a reminder together with the vintage ones that craftsmanship goes a long way. My Tech is as old as my dad and still an amazing piece of hardware.

Choices, choices, choices….

Guido

I've just picked up 2 more vintage Gillette's!

A few days ago I put rather low bids on both of them on The Bay. I honestly didn't expect anything and didn't even follow the auctions. Today I surprisingly got 2 emails that I had won both auctions:)
They both seem to be in pretty nice shape and I believe that I got them both at a good price:
1. A 1962 Slim adjustable
2. A 1976 Super Adjustable 109

full

full
You're hooked. This is in your future😁
PXL_20220718_142608156.jpg
PXL_20220718_143949415.jpg

Apparently, the Arko shave stick that we all know and love was introduced in 1957 according to the little historic lesson found (here). So, I might have to adjust my timeframe for recreating a shave from the dawn of the Arko era.

Top Bottom