What's new

I've been unscrewed.

A quick update.
I have shaved with it a few times now. It requires a very different angle compared to Gillette adjustables. I'm a shallow angle shaver (ride the cap). This razor seems to favour a steep angle (ride the safety bar) due to the very different head geometry. I find it won't cut well when I ride the cap. I shaved with it this am with a (first shave) Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow) and Palmolive. I have more irritation than usual. Alum and a/s stung more than normal. I attribute that to making more passes than usual hunting for the right angle, the steep angle, and the blade I used. I don't care for the yellows (irritation), but they cut well in the Ming Shi Unscrew.
It won't find a slot in my regular rotation, but it's still a keeper.

Hey Ricksplace, you mentioned that you don't like the gillette yellows... I had the same thing with this blade, irritation in the neck area. What fixed this for me was "corking" the blade, just pass each blade edge along the corner of a cork once. For what it's worth, this got rid of all the irritation with a 50's Canadian Tech..

Hey Ricksplace, you mentioned that you don't like the gillette yellows... I had the same thing with this blade, irritation in the neck area. What fixed this for me was "corking" the blade, just pass each blade edge along the corner of a cork once. For what it's worth, this got rid of all the irritation with a 50's Canadian Tech..

Thanks. They do smooth out some on subsequent shaves. I thought since it's a mild razor, I would use the sharpest blade in my stash. It actually performed well in the ming shi. I'll use it again in that razor.

Shaved with it yesterday for the first time with a Lab Blue. Overall, I thought it was very smooth. Where it excels is on the upper lip ATG. From settings 7 to 9, my baseplate remains stationary on one side so by setting 9, it resembles a slant. Still got a great shave regardless at those settings. I figured out by watching the adjustment from 7 to 9 that one side of the adjustment dial has a notch to prevent it from going past 9. That notch starts to catch on setting 7. There is no notch on the other side so it continues to go up while the other side remains stationary. If it bothered me, I could simply file that notch off.

Happy shaves.

Top Bottom