What's new

I've been told to "check in with the guys on the straights forums!"

Hello guys on the straights forums!

For about four months I shave with a straight razor Dovo No. 105 and a safety razor Muhle Sophist set in horn. Collector's addiction has already overtaken me: Ordered myself a Wacker straight razor, because old craftsman Mr. Wacker said in a video that a razor is a "mystical tool." The leaflet in German tells that the middle part of the blade is called "Seele", i.e. "soul". Who knows why?
I have a philosophical streak and wish to explore the spiritual side of material things. "Razor" is a technical term in philosophy that refers to a type of analytical thinking; thinking that sharply separates the essential from the inessential. Terms like "razor-sharp thinking" or German "Scharfsinn" which means astuteness (Scharf = sharp, sinn=mind/sense) point to this relationship.

A Japanese proverb (I found it on the net and hope it's true) says: Point your sword against your own ego first.
Hmm, what does that mean? Think about yourself? Know thyself! Is the ouroboros, a serpent biting it's own tail, also a symbol for the straight razor pointing to your own face? Well, I made it one: see attachment with my personalized new straight razor from Ralf Aust.

And what happens (unconsciously) psychologically or spiritually when we shave? Nothing at all?
What happens to our alertness and attention when we try it the first few times? A lot, right!

I am looking for proverbs and experiences in the direction indicated. I would be grateful for stories and hints.
Last but not least: exists in this forum a book list about razor books? The best would be an opulent coffee table book with stunning photos of new and old stunning razors : )

With kind regards

Reinhold from Germany

Attachments​

• Ouroboros Stillleben.jpg
    Ouroboros Stillleben.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hello guys on the straights forums!

For about four months I shave with a straight razor Dovo No. 105 and a safety razor Muhle Sophist set in horn. Collector's addiction has already overtaken me: Ordered myself a Wacker straight razor, because old craftsman Mr. Wacker said in a video that a razor is a "mystical tool." The leaflet in German tells that the middle part of the blade is called "Seele", i.e. "soul". Who knows why?
I have a philosophical streak and wish to explore the spiritual side of material things. "Razor" is a technical term in philosophy that refers to a type of analytical thinking; thinking that sharply separates the essential from the inessential. Terms like "razor-sharp thinking" or German "Scharfsinn" which means astuteness (Scharf = sharp, sinn=mind/sense) point to this relationship.

A Japanese proverb (I found it on the net and hope it's true) says: Point your sword against your own ego first.
Hmm, what does that mean? Think about yourself? Know thyself! Is the ouroboros, a serpent biting it's own tail, also a symbol for the straight razor pointing to your own face? Well, I made it one: see attachment with my personalized new straight razor from Ralf Aust.

And what happens (unconsciously) psychologically or spiritually when we shave? Nothing at all?
What happens to our alertness and attention when we try it the first few times? A lot, right!

I am looking for proverbs and experiences in the direction indicated. I would be grateful for stories and hints.
Last but not least: exists in this forum a book list about razor books? The best would be an opulent coffee table book with stunning photos of new and old stunning razors : )

With kind regards

Reinhold from Germany

Attachments​

• Ouroboros Stillleben.jpg
    Ouroboros Stillleben.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I have a vintage 9/16 Wacker Original extra hollow which is, without a doubt, my favorite razor. Perfection.

There is certainly something magical about a straight razor. With a little slight of hand, it will make your stubble disappear.

Many shaving tools can get the job done, but a straight razor provides a certain sense of accomplishment that other tools do not.

I am not sure Heribert Wacker still makes razors himself these days. However, I believe he trains and supervises a few craftsman who carry on his fine work. That is a much different situation than Dovo which is a factory where each employee does a specific portion of the work rather than produce the completed razor.

There’s a severe lack of razor books imo. A book with nice pictures to drool over would be great.
Is there really no such illustrated book yet? (I am looking for). I wonder if guys on the forum would support such a book via sharing photos and pre-orders?
There is certainly something magical about a straight razor.
Yes, I wish to find out more! - and this:
Many shaving tools can get the job done, but a straight razor provides a certain sense of accomplishment that other tools do not.
is one of the reasons. Can we find out more reasons and verbalize them? This would be a strong chapter in such a book on straight razors - beyond the shaving techniques. Another chapter should be called "The Magic of Stones" because that is what I am discovering. Wow! All these fantastic natural stones. As you can see, I'm already going (or falling?) deeper down the rabbit hole : )

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It is the concentration required for SR shaving that I enjoy the most, closely followed by the quality of the shave. The concentration requires me to put everything else out of my thoughts except the job at hand. I get a similar experience with a good challenging motorcycle ride.

My most favoured SR, a Gold Dollar W59, requires the most concentration for obvious reasons.

IMG_20211223_165339.jpg
It also takes the keenest edge of all me SR's.

I don’t think you will find a lot of information on the philosophical aspects of straight razors easily. You might however find something along those line in regards to Japanese sword craft. That may be an area that more has been written about.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Welcome! Don’t forget here:

Honestly to me it's not about philosophy. I mean I guess it kind of is, but not the Shakespeare or Aristotle type. To me it's about connecting to a past when men made a tool and used it, maintained it, until it was used up. On top of it, they didn't always do things the easy way, and the throw away economy didn't exist. I personally believe many men just did things better in that Era. In the ultimate irony, in modern times we have a world of knowledge at our fingertips. We can take what worked particularly well during different periods and refine it, and we are possibly living in the golden age of knowledge. I honestly believe the internet has fueled a resurgence in DE and SR shaving, along with other old school tech.

Anyway, that's a lot of what SR shaving is to me. I don't own any modern razors. I would say my newest vintage is 100+ years old. It's certainly the concentration required and "ZEN" time, but it's more about taking an "ancient" tool made over 100 years ago and making it more effective than the modern plastic throw away version.

Top Bottom