What's new

I've been lying to myself

So I got into wet shaving because I wanted to save money and be more hygienic. I can honestly say after looking at my bank account I now spend far more money than I used to, but I'm having fun When I look at all the safety razors, soaps, brushes and aftershaves that I've collected, I've spent far more than I used to on Gillette 9 blade garbage. But I am having fun and I think that's worth something. I do have to be honest with myself though and I did talk myself into this, what's become a hobby, on false pretenses. Just me thinking out loud...

hahaahah yeah reckon you are not alone agree EVERYONE who joined this forum does not join a forum cause its just something they have to do :) they WANT to :)

ditto its a fun hobby and it turned something I hated and I do daily into something I look forward to and my skin is better my comfort is better and so on

IMHO well well worth it :)

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well, I didn't get into wet shaving to save money. Good thing, that. :)

I got into wet shaving to see if I could get a better shave, and was/am willing to spend a bit of money on "tuition" to learn what works for me. I mostly have that sorted now, but of course always along comes some nifty piece of kit that I just "need." I have noticed that the needs are getting fewer now, however. As I've said elsewhere, my main kick is razors; specifically slants although just about any razor can engage my attention.

I have saved all kinds of dough by not chasing Gillettes, although I like looking at them. When Gillette makes a slant I might sing a different tune. Also I'm cheap on soap, I don't collect brushes, and so far I have never bought a dedicated lathering bowl that was actually designed as such.

O.H.

Tell me about it! I got my first razor, brush and soap set for 20 bucks (Wilkinson premium). Brush and soap were terrible I didn't like them at all. The razor is a nice mild shaver but not my go to. I had problems with ingrown hairs and it took me two years and 200 bucks worth of products adn gear to get a shave after which I needed 12 hours to get rid of redness and hoped that the bumps wouldn't appear and they mostly did. But I fell in love with variety of products and options and the detail and fine-tuning every aspect of the shave to make it better. My spending is far from over even with my limited student's budget. I'm getting my master's in a year and half and will start to work full time and I'm quite afraid my first salary will go into the stuff I wanted for a long time but couldn't afford. Oh those were the days when I believed how much money will I save on those damned cartridges!

I've been wanting a Blackland Vector Ti, polished with inkwell stand. I calculated that I could buy 32 years of Gillette Fusion5 cartridges just for the price of that one razor, not including the AC blades! I am definitely not going to suggest to my wife that buying it will somehow save money. :biggrin:

I've been wanting a Blackland Vector Ti, polished with inkwell stand. I calculated that I could buy 32 years of Gillette Fusion5 cartridges just for the price of that one razor, not including the AC blades! I am definitely not going to suggest to my wife that buying it will somehow save money. :biggrin:
Correction! It's only *5* years of Fusion5 carts, figuring one $2.50 cart per week vs the Vector plus one 50¢ AC blade per week. I think on that basis, I need to get the Vector!

Welocome to B&B and the various rabbit holes.
SmartSelect_20220120-211457_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom