What's new

I've been lying to myself

Well, I got into Wet Shaving, not with the intention of saving (well, kindda, but not really) but rather to have a pleasant outcome when shaving.

I was stretching cartridges for way too long ( a couple of months in some cases) and this was because I thought that the usual life span of a cartridge for my beard growth/coarseness was outrageous. My blades were dulling after a couple of days and you could tell by all the nicks and weepers.

So now I have a system/tool that allows me to change blades without me worrying about the costs, yes, I do buy tons of razors, but in the end, I don't see it as something that was going to save me any money, but rather as something I do for fun in the mornings.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It wasn't about saving money for me, it was about taking what was a tedious, dreary chore that had to be suffered through every morning and turning it into something I really enjoy and have fun at.
From dreaded drudgery to anticipation and excitement at the different possibilities.

So now I have a system/tool that allows me to change blades without me worrying about the costs, yes, I do buy tons of razors, but in the end, I don't see it as something that was going to save me any money, but rather as something I do for fun in the mornings.
Exactly. How do you put a price on a hobby that turns an annoying chore into a positive pleasure, that is the highlight of some of your days, that can turn gloomy thoughts into happy thoughts, that provides a moment of total focus in a speeded-up world?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Exactly. How do you put a price on a hobby that turns an annoying chore into a positive pleasure, that is the highlight of some of your days, that can turn gloomy thoughts into happy thoughts, that provides a moment of total focus in a speeded-up world?
Well said my friend.

So I got into wet shaving because I wanted to save money and be more hygienic. I can honestly say after looking at my bank account I now spend far more money than I used to, but I'm having fun When I look at all the safety razors, soaps, brushes and aftershaves that I've collected, I've spent far more than I used to on Gillette 9 blade garbage. But I am having fun and I think that's worth something. I do have to be honest with myself though and I did talk myself into this, what's become a hobby, on false pretenses. Just me thinking out loud...
Cheaper than buying a new motorcycle. :)

And if you are into scented soaps you are in luck, because aromatherapy is real, and as you said, it can provoke you happy thoughts. 😀

I’m not sure that I’ve technically spent anything on my vintage straight razors and whetstones. I’m pretty sure that I could easy sell them for what I bought them for. Possibly more. I see it more as “diversifying my assets”.

The soap is literally money down the drain of course. Not much of a return on used brushes either. Maybe I can write those off as a loss on my tax return. I have to shave for work!

Last edited:
Well, I got into Wet Shaving, not with the intention of saving (well, kindda, but not really) but rather to have a pleasant outcome when shaving.

I was stretching cartridges for way too long ( a couple of months in some cases) and this was because I thought that the usual life span of a cartridge for my beard growth/coarseness was outrageous. My blades were dulling after a couple of days and you could tell by all the nicks and weepers.

That sounds familiar, I used to shave most days, was tight-fisted, and "changed the cartridge every month, whether it needed it or not".:001_rolle

I started out as a DE-er back in the mid 70s, but got lured into buying the latest gimmicks when I was time-poor and had some surplus money, early 1980s.

Coming back to DE was mostly to get better functionality, and I was keen not to be a collector, so I managed to zero-in on suitable kit (Rockwell, Game Changers, blades) without too many bad moves. YMMV is true, but reading the reviews here tells you the best bets.

Ticking every box (razor, blade, soap, brush, bowl, pre, post) took a while, but was a lot cheaper than being a collector of anything (fountain pens, I'm looking at you).

Have I saved money compared with carts? I doubt it, but I'm now getting much better results than I thought possible, and enjoy the process.

Top Bottom