What's new

I've Been Down This Road Before

Nice line up.
Thanks, Tomo. I've been through a bunch of razors and these provide the best results for me. I also have a few others (modern and vintage) that I've cleaned up and stored away for my sons when they get older and start needing to shave. I occasionally will pull one of these out for kicks, but mainly stick with the razors previously listed.

I have the impression that my preference (or my skin) could change and I could not be able to buy a razor I already have again in its minty condition...
This is a key point, and having a razor already in hand makes coming back to it easier.

Plus, with my money market getting negative interest and inflation going up, I might start looking at my accumulated stuff as "hard assets." :biggrin1:

This is a key point, and having a razor already in hand makes coming back to it easier.

Plus, with my money market getting negative interest and inflation going up, I might start looking at my accumulated stuff as "hard assets." :biggrin1:
The vintage Gillettes are increasing in price every day. I would never pay for a Fatboy in its case prices far above 100€$ asked in the net. Even for my Toogle I payed less. So why sell? As long as I don't need the money (which could happen one day) I will keep them.

The vintage Gillettes are increasing in price every day. I would never pay for a Fatboy in its case prices far above 100€$ asked in the net. Even for my Toogle I payed less. So why sell? As long as I don't need the money (which could happen one day) I will keep them.

The reason for that is probably because more and more people are getting into this hobby and some of them are getting deep into the vintage razor rabbit hole and the prices have gone up like crazy, especially for the uncommon and rare ones.

I was told by others who started collecting vintage DE razors a long time ago that around 20 years ago the Toggles were going for around $100 or even less as well as many other razors, but those days are long gone for sure.

The reason for that is probably because more and more people are getting into this hobby and some of them are getting deep into the vintage razor rabbit hole and the prices have gone up like crazy, especially for the uncommon and rare ones.

I was told by others who started collecting vintage DE razors a long time ago that around 20 years ago the Toggles were going for around $100 or even less as well as many other razors, but those days are long gone for sure.
My Toogle is indeed one of the razors I could not sell. I did not pay much for it. But that's not the point. I think it has something in it I did not discovered so far. It has a high build quality, holds the blade more rigid than a Fatboy or Slim. I would expect that after improving my technique it could become my daily driver.. similar my NEW improved razors, my NEWs, my Apollos, my Mulcutos....

Selling my Toogle for a good profit but getting into a situation of regret money can't heal... Don't want to get into such a situation.

My Toogle is indeed one of the razors I could not sell. I did not pay much for it. But that's not the point. I think it has something in it I did not discovered so far. It has a high build quality, holds the blade more rigid than a Fatboy or Slim. I would expect that after improving my technique it could become my daily driver.. similar my NEW improved razors, my NEWs, my Apollos, my Mulcutos....

Selling my Toogle for a good profit but getting into a situation of regret money can't heal... Don't want to get into such a situation.

I feel the same about some of the vintage razors I own. Selling them won't make me rich, so i'd much rather keep them at least for now.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
At this point, I'm down to three although, one of them I have all three variants of and shave with all three.

Wolfman WR1
Wolfman WR2
RazoRock Lupo

I have two other razors that I shave with on a rare occasion just for variety reasons.

Karve Brass
PAA DOC Ascension

Thanks, Tomo. I've been through a bunch of razors and these provide the best results for me. I also have a few others (modern and vintage) that I've cleaned up and stored away for my sons when they get older and start needing to shave. I occasionally will pull one of these out for kicks, but mainly stick with the razors previously listed.
It was interesting to see the Henson on the list. I haven’t bought a DE in a long time but that one caught my eye and I currently have one on the way. Apart from that I only have a Timeless 0.68 OC and a Blackland Vector left in the DE/SE camp.

Reactions: tm3
Huck1680 would you mind listening what you are currently shaving with now.(the 6 you are down to)
My 6 are the Henson Ti medium, Tatara Masamune OC, Gillette New Long Comb (handle by Cooncat Bob), Yates with the brass Hybrid head, ATT Windsor M1 head with custom halo handle and the Feather AS D2.

Closing in on 9 years of DE shaving, so pardon my ignorance veterans. I don't understand your reason for rotating between or collecting razors. Is it for aesthetics? Do your razors differ with regard to comfort or shaving result? Were you trying to find out what kind of design is optimal for you?

I cannot remember a moment in time when I have been using more than 1 razor day-to-day. I cannot recall having more than 3 razors in my possession either. I am currently shaving with one razor and another is kept as back up. In my experience, after my first hundred shaves I already knew mild razors work for me, (mid-)aggressive don't and also there are few DE blades I like; with only Feather good enough when I skip 5 days or more. I have tried OC, TTO, light, heavy, my current (somewhat?) adjustable 6S and I can't see or feel any difference post-shave, as long as I stick to plates R1-R3. Maybe too much martial sport has numbed my senses completely?
At any rate, happy new year B&B!
I ended up with a bunch of razors due to trying to find out which ones work best for me. I've been at it over a decade now and it took me some time to figure everything out....plus likes and technique change over time. I always wondered if the next razor would be the one and before you know it, several razors are in the den. I do like variety and probably wouldn't be satisfied with just one razor. I am trying to get things down to a manageable number....and I believe 6-7 razors will be it.

It was interesting to see the Henson on the list. I haven’t bought a DE in a long time but that one caught my eye and I currently have one on the way. Apart from that I only have a Timeless 0.68 OC and a Blackland Vector left in the DE/SE camp.
The Ti22 medium Henson hangs with all my razors. It is a great shaving razor and uniquely designed. Hope you like yours.

I think I peaked around about 15-20 razors, all but 3 of them vintage Gillettes. The "but 3" were the ones that convinced me to sell all the vintage Gillettes: Tradere OC, Tradere SB, and Weber DLC. Now I'm back up to 4 (Fendrihan Mk II), with a fifth on the way (RR Game Changer .68).

I may not keep the Fendrihan, as the quality of the cast stainless head is noticeably lower than a machined head. When/if I get rid of it I might consider a Wolfman (with Darwin handle) to replace it. 5 feels like a decent number.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
A new razor now and then keeps the hobby interesting. IMO it's not like a dating show for finding the partner for life, which is in many cases rather a temporary affair.

The give price point of many razors is a drawback. My very own snobism and preferences are a drawback for me as well: don't like the lightness and feel of aluminum, don't like patina on brass, at least I am not dead set on titanium, which is a bit too light for me again. Saves some money, I dodged a bullet there. 😁

And zamac is just out. A pity, as many affordable razors and fancy handle are only available in zamac.

I am a huge fan of the me affordable steel models. RazoRock and the wetshaving club offer lots of them, to my detriment the Yates razors made for them are all on the mild to medium side at best. But the price is nice!

There is always room for premium models though. But too often the asked price is making me wonder, this is e.g. why I don't have a Carbon Shaving razor yet. And maybe never. This was just an example.

A Yates with an EH plate and a Nodachi are most likely next, or an iKon OSS. The new RazoRock Slant might also be upcoming.

This said, I have many more interests than razors that put a strain on my budget. But I wonder if unlimited resources would necessarily make me happier. I am very happy with my current pace of acquisition of new man toys. 😁

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm down to about 9, but I really only use two:
Wolfman WR1 is my daily driver,
ATT Windsor for my travel razor.

I've actually found that the ones that work the best for me happen to be the most expensive, but I agree it doesn't always work that way. Whichever provides that magical combination of razor/blade/beard/skin and technique is the one to use.

I'm sitting at five right now, although it's six if you include my backup Feather AS-D2. The Edwin Jagger is not in rotation and I've kept it only because it was my first DE razor and it's not worth enough to sell. This feels like enough to provide some variety, yet a small enough collection that they can each get used somewhat regularly. I also enjoy the aesthetics that different razors provide, so that's also part of the appeal to having more than one. To me, a nice razor is a form of three dimensional art.

Feather AS-D2 (x2)
Wolfman WR2 .95
Timeless .68 SB
Rockwell 6S
Edwin Jagger DE89

The only other razor that's on my radar at this point is the Blackland Vector, but otherwise I have no plans on adding anything more.

A new razor now and then keeps the hobby interesting. IMO it's not like a dating show for finding the partner for life, which is in many cases rather a temporary affair.

The give price point of many razors is a drawback. My very own snobism and preferences are a drawback for me as well: don't like the lightness and feel of aluminum, don't like patina on brass, at least I am not dead set on titanium, which is a bit too light for me again. Saves some money, I dodged a bullet there. 😁

And zamac is just out. A pity, as many affordable razors and fancy handle are only available in zamac.

I am a huge fan of the me affordable steel models. RazoRock and the wetshaving club offer lots of them, to my detriment the Yates razors made for them are all on the mild to medium side at best. But the price is nice!

There is always room for premium models though. But too often the asked price is making me wonder, this is e.g. why I don't have a Carbon Shaving razor yet. And maybe never. This was just an example.

A Yates with an EH plate and a Nodachi are most likely next, or an iKon OSS. The new RazoRock Slant might also be upcoming.

This said, I have many more interests than razors that put a strain on my budget. But I wonder if unlimited resources would necessarily make me happier. I am very hhappy with my current pace of acquisition of new man toys. 😁
I have both the Yates (H & EH plates) and the Nodachi ( SB & OC plates) and would encourage you to follow up with both of them. The smoothness and efficiency of both these razors are the best I’ve used with the edge going to the Nodachi SB.

Top Bottom