What's new

I've Been Down This Road Before

Gentlemen.
As I have posted before, I am now down to 6 razors which I truly enjoy shaving with. I've had over 250 razors at one point and shaved with them all. There've been great razors and others which have been ....meh. I finally got past the "display" razors to a place where I put performance ahead of everything else. It was a simple task after that to winnow down from 100+ to 36 to 6. The best of the best...without idiotic price points. Seriously, a $750 razor doesn't shave (to me) any better than an R89. My most expensive razors are the Tatara Masamune OC and the Henson Ti. Both are superb...with different personalities. Easy to get along with, you just have to remember what you have in your hand. I guess my main reason for this is to say, you really don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get a good shave. I do understand the wish to have the "best" and for some, price is no barrier. Good for you. I would never try to tell you to not buy a specific razor but do realize, it may not shave any better than a much less expensive brand. Again, though I do understand "having the best". I have managed to put that behind me...finally. And am happy with what I've kept.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. I wish only the best for all of you and your friends and family.

I'm down to about 9 razors, but got there from a much smaller number....maybe 30. I've kept a few packed away for my sons when they get older, but I only regularly use 6 of the 9 remaining. The 3 razors not being used need to find a new home. It's a nice feeling to get things whittled down to a more reasonable number. I've never shaved with anything over $250 (Henson Ti22), but wouldn't mind taking a Wolfman for a spin. I doubt I'll ever splurge for one, but they sure look, nice. With my collection of razors, I can't imagine anything performing better for me....I'm certainly satisfied and content.

Now to start pairing down the soaps and aftershaves...😁

I have about seven razors currently. But I want to get down to just two. A primary and a back up.

Did you have any issues selling in your other razors? Where did you have the most luck finding a buyer?
It took me awhile and most were bought by other BBers. I did sell some on eBay but got to hate the fees they charged.l

Gentlemen.
As I have posted before, I am now down to 6 razors which I truly enjoy shaving with. I've had over 250 razors at one point and shaved with them all. There've been great razors and others which have been ....meh. I finally got past the "display" razors to a place where I put performance ahead of everything else. It was a simple task after that to winnow down from 100+ to 36 to 6. The best of the best...without idiotic price points. Seriously, a $750 razor doesn't shave (to me) any better than an R89. My most expensive razors are the Tatara Masamune OC and the Henson Ti. Both are superb...with different personalities. Easy to get along with, you just have to remember what you have in your hand. I guess my main reason for this is to say, you really don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money to get a good shave. I do understand the wish to have the "best" and for some, price is no barrier. Good for you. I would never try to tell you to not buy a specific razor but do realize, it may not shave any better than a much less expensive brand. Again, though I do understand "having the best". I have managed to put that behind me...finally. And am happy with what I've kept.
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all. I wish only the best for all of you and your friends and family.

I'm down to about 9 razors, but got there from a much smaller number....maybe 30. I've kept a few packed away for my sons when they get older, but I only regularly use 6 of the 9 remaining. The 3 razors not being used need to find a new home. It's a nice feeling to get things whittled down to a more reasonable number. I've never shaved with anything over $250 (Henson Ti22), but wouldn't mind taking a Wolfman for a spin. I doubt I'll ever splurge for one, but they sure look, nice. With my collection of razors, I can't imagine anything performing better for me....I'm certainly satisfied and content.

Now to start pairing down the soaps and aftershaves...😁

What did you end up keeping?

Like you, I began collecting razors and at one time I had more than 50. What I discovered was that I began to forget what some of these razors felt like. The first ones to go were the SE and injectors. The reason: the limited number of blades that fit these razors. Next to go were the more aggressive razors - which is a matter of my preference. I then eliminated razors that seemed to duplicate another razor. For example, I had a Merkur Slant and Hoffritz Slant. I eliminated the Hoffritz and kept the Merkur. I had both versions of the Karve with the same base plates and sold off the SS one. Finally, I sold off a few razors that I liked but did not use that much. I now have the following razors:
  • Red Trip. Two with one in my travel kit.
  • Feather AS-D2
  • Merkur 37C
  • RR Stealth Slant
  • ATT S-1
  • Karve
  • Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05
  • Pre-war Tech
  • Post-war Tech
  • Mergress XL
  • Timeless SS SB .68

I'm guessing I have around 40 of various age and condition. A few are collectable. Most are serviceable in excellent condition.

In general, I rotate between three; a Fatboy, New and 37C. The others I keep around for nostalgia sake.

I should probably sell off a few.

I own about 20 razors but most are inexpensive and not worth selling. I will likely PIF them at some point as I don’t use them…. Wilkinson Sword, a few Lords, Weishi, a Rockwell 2C, etc.

I love my current rotation and can’t see it changing any time soon…

Wolfman WR2 1.35DC
Wolfman WR1 0.74DC
Karve with a few plates
Gamechanger with a few plates
Red Tip
Slim
A couple of Techs
Razorock Wolf 3 SE
Rockwell 6S

Closing in on 9 years of DE shaving, so pardon my ignorance veterans. I don't understand your reason for rotating between or collecting razors. Is it for aesthetics? Do your razors differ with regard to comfort or shaving result? Were you trying to find out what kind of design is optimal for you?

I cannot remember a moment in time when I have been using more than 1 razor day-to-day. I cannot recall having more than 3 razors in my possession either. I am currently shaving with one razor and another is kept as back up. In my experience, after my first hundred shaves I already knew mild razors work for me, (mid-)aggressive don't and also there are few DE blades I like; with only Feather good enough when I skip 5 days or more. I have tried OC, TTO, light, heavy, my current (somewhat?) adjustable 6S and I can't see or feel any difference post-shave, as long as I stick to plates R1-R3. Maybe too much martial sport has numbed my senses completely?
At any rate, happy new year B&B!

For me it is based on hair growth
3 days or more - Gillette New Short Comb
1-2 Days Gillette HD 500
Daily on neck - Merkur 15c (super mild)

I also have a tech for travel as they are more easily replaced. JM

Closing in on 9 years of DE shaving, so pardon my ignorance veterans. I don't understand your reason for rotating between or collecting razors. Is it for aesthetics? Do your razors differ with regard to comfort or shaving result? Were you trying to find out what kind of design is optimal for you?

I cannot remember a moment in time when I have been using more than 1 razor day-to-day. I cannot recall having more than 3 razors in my possession either. I am currently shaving with one razor and another is kept as back up. In my experience, after my first hundred shaves I already knew mild razors work for me, (mid-)aggressive don't and also there are few DE blades I like; with only Feather good enough when I skip 5 days or more. I have tried OC, TTO, light, heavy, my current (somewhat?) adjustable 6S and I can't see or feel any difference post-shave, as long as I stick to plates R1-R3. Maybe too much martial sport has numbed my senses completely?
At any rate, happy new year B&B!
I like my Wolfman WR2 for more than 24 hours growth and my WR1 for 24 hours or less growth. That is all I really need. These two and an inexpensive and easily replaceable travel razor.

The others have just been collected over the years. I should sell my 6S, Game Changer and Karve, but I do enjoy using them just to change it up. I could definitely just get by with 3 razors though.

Living in Canada where it costs almost $20 to ship a razor makes it not worth selling $20-50 razors.

I have about 10 razors. Tried different ones searching for the perfect BBS shave. Shaving Nirvana. 3 are Wolfman the others are Muhle's, a Fatip Grande, and one vintage Gillete Flare tip. The R89 gives the smoothest shave. I have plenty to play with so I am not interested in buying more razors that will sit in my drawer. Using the Wolfman WR1 0.74 more and more. A really good soap/cream will make the experience so much better.

What did you end up keeping?

The razors I use most, and prefer for daily shaves yielding the most satisfying results are:
Yates 921-H
Blackbird
Windsor SSRH
Henson Ti22
Tatara Nodachi (on Masamune handle)
Aristocrat (copper plated)

I will also keep my R41GS for those times I have multiple days growth to plow through as it's perfect for that.

Razors I'm most likely going to part with are Rocca, 3one6, and H&S P076. These are really nice razors, but I just don't reach for them as often as the others and could probably live without them.

The razors I use most, and prefer for daily shaves yielding the most satisfying results are:
Yates 921-H
Blackbird
Windsor SSRH
Henson Ti22
Tatara Nodachi (on Masamune handle)
Aristocrat (copper plated)

I will also keep my R41GS for those times I have multiple days growth to plow through as it's perfect for that.

Razors I'm most likely going to part with are Rocca, 3one6, and H&S P076. These are really nice razors, but I just don't reach for them as often as the others and could probably live without them.
Nice line up.

I have never accumulated too many razors. I usually try to sell one or two when I acquire new ones. I currently have 10 razors and have sold at least a dozen over the years. I also have a couple of razors that I had previously sold and then bought again (Futur and RR Hawk). Of late I seem to use my brass Karve most of the time followed by a Blackland Dart. The others are used sparingly, and I'm considering selling one or two.

I have far more than 100 razors but never wanted to become a collector. I bought razors because of experience reports of others. I learned a lot from these reports. After 5 years of DE shaving I learned that my technique was everything thing else than perfect. I always believed that I had the wrong razor but the reason why I did not get a reasonable shave was my technique. I do like the build quality and engineering of vintage Gillettes and like to play with them. But the last month I'm only using Old Types and Rotbarts. No TTO, no adjustable.

Needless to say that I did not use some of the 100+ not even once. I have the impression that my preference (or my skin) could change and I could not be able to buy a razor I already have again in its minty condition...

Top Bottom