What's new

I've been a VERY RAD boy, Pic heavy

In an earlier post or two I stated that I blew my razor budget for the month. Here's why. It's a Kampfe Brothers Star seven day travel set. It was Sold by Dame, Stoddard and Company, Boston sometime between 1900 and 1920, when that name was being used.

full

full

full

full

full

I think I'll send out a few blades for honing and give this baby a spin around the chin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know that the extra length of handle is shared between the razor and the hand stropper?

It's not clear to me why they included both the hand stropper and the automatic stropper in there.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Sweet score.....I have the razor but nothing else. I always wanted to see a complete set. Thanks.:thumbup1:

Did you know that the extra length of handle is shared between the razor and the hand stropper?

It's not clear to me why they included both the hand stropper and the automatic stropper in there.

Thanks. Yes. I already fitted it to the razor. I can't believe it's so light.

Can this be used with a modern Gem SE blade?..

I love 7-day sets. I wish I knew who could make the blades shave-ready, though.
Yours is gorgeous, and the blades are complete and in great shape. The automatic stropper is a pretty rare piece all by itself. Congrats!
-- Chet

That's a good looking set you've got there.
so you blew your budget for the month?
Good! One less person to compete with :laugh:
Nice score :thumbup1:

I love 7-day sets. I wish I knew who could make the blades shave-ready, though.
Yours is gorgeous, and the blades are complete and in great shape. The automatic stropper is a pretty rare piece all by itself. Congrats!
-- Chet

I'm checking the B & B wiki. It has a list of support in vendors. Some do honing. I'll get two blades honed, maybe $40 plus shipping.

Thanks. Yes. I already fitted it to the razor. I can't believe it's so light.

Can this be used with a modern Gem SE blade?..

Nope, this one doesn't have the 'blade-stop tabs', so modern SE blades cannot be used. The wedge blades are held in place by the side tabs, as they are so thick.

Lovely set.....congratulations!!:thumbup:

Nope, this one doesn't have the 'blade-stop tabs', so modern SE blades cannot be used. The wedge blades are held in place by the side tabs, as they are so thick.

Are you sure? In this picture, I think I see some little tabs. Hard to tell but I believe they are there, on the very outside of that little combed piece that flips up. The two outer 'combs' should be raised higher, and might have little blade stops on them.
full

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. Yep, I tried an SE blade. The stops that are there are set to far apart to stop the blade. Nuts. More reason to get some blades restored.

Good looking set Drew. Just got one of those a few days ago. I am expecting it in the mail any day now. Mine is in a can and is not the 7 day set. I fully plan to pop a razor blade in there and use mine.

Good looking set Drew. Just got one of those a few days ago. I am expecting it in the mail any day now. Mine is in a can and is not the 7 day set. I fully plan to pop a razor blade in there and use mine.

I did. I just had to try it. I used it just for the down shave. I learned why it's called the lather catcher. Clever. I also learned that once the blades are ready, I'm using this razor. Pretty cool!

Those razors shave really well once the blades have been properly honed.

I have a Star Victorian which is similar in many ways. Once I honed the one blade I had for it, it was excellent.

It;s a pity I only have the head, one section of the handle and one blade. It would be nice to have it complete.

Top Bottom