What's new

I've always admired how the Gillette Bostonian case lifts up and presents the razor. A cool idea from Gillette that lasted 4(?) years.

The Gillette Bostonian (and a couple other models) case lifts and presents the razor when you open it. It's a pretty cool idea. I bought an empty case to repurpose and thought it was worth sharing how the mechanism works. The originals have an additional metal platform on top of the lifting bars covered with soft material and an arm to support the razor handle. I think the case design lasted a few years from 1922-1926. It was very dirty on the inside when I received it but a bit of Barkeepers Friend and a sponge cleaned it out nicely.
IMG_2240.jpeg
IMG_2239.jpeg

Once I create a new platform and install a new lid liner I'll post a follow-up pic. EDIT: Glad I took the closeup pic it looks like I am about to lose a hinge pin.

The Gillette Bostonian (and a couple other models) case lifts and presents the razor when you open it. It's a pretty cool idea. I bought an empty case to repurpose and thought it was worth sharing how the mechanism works. The originals have an additional metal platform on top of the lifting bars covered with soft material and an arm to support the razor handle. I think the case design lasted a few years from 1922-1926. It was very dirty on the inside when I received it but a bit of Barkeepers Friend and a sponge cleaned it out nicely.
View attachment 1371290View attachment 1371289
Once I create a new platform and install a new lid liner I'll post a follow-up pic. EDIT: Glad I took the closeup pic it looks like I am about to lose a hinge pin.
Lovely! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I just realized the pushbutton on these is not a button and does not push in at all. When someone presses it the side of the case flexes inward releasing the latch. I suppose they had to make it look like a button or no one would press it. :)

Come to think of it they should have put buttons on the sides of the older blade cases. They often were scratched because people could not figure out how to open them (pinch the sides).

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I just realized the pushbutton on these is not a button and does not push in at all. When someone presses it the side of the case flexes inward releasing the latch. I suppose they had to make it look like a button or no one would press it. :)

Come to think of it they should have put buttons on the sides of the older blade cases. They often were scratched because people could not figure out how to open them (pinch the sides).

Good eye - I never noticed. Perusing the other metal cased New Improved's from the 20's looks like the notabutton button was a shared design ..

Very nice! It seems most things made during the 20's-40's were "crafted." Pride was taken in the manufacture of their products.

Top Bottom