What's new

It’s time - Coolador

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve overgrown my 2 humidors. I need a coolador.

I’ve done a little research and I guess there are some coolers that are better than others. Like some that don’t have a plastic smell. And some with a better air tight seal.

So which ones are those? Maybe 40 or 60 quart? This one on Amazon will work? - Cooler

Also, I don’t think I’m going to do the Boveda. I’d like to try the beads but I’ve never used them. So the heartfelt industry beads are good I think, does it matter how many you use for the large cooler?

Thanks!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Just the basic one like this?

Looks similar - mine do not have the access hatch in the lid.

I filled each cooler with empty cigar boxes and bowls of distilled water for several days until the boxes absorb enough moisture to work with the beads. Once everything is ready, I activate the beads and slowly introduce boxes of cigars to the now seasoned Coolerdor, removing the empty boxes as full boxes take their place.

Been keeping cigars in Coolerdors for ~20 years - some of the cigars are older than that. ;)

Something most people overlook...new coolers out-gas for quite awhile and will ruin cigars if not given enough time to stop out-gassing.

I used a 1 year old cooler that was never used for food storage.

I would say airing out a new cooler a month or two before use is adequate.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Something most people overlook...new coolers out-gas for quite awhile and will ruin cigars if not given enough time to stop out-gassing.

I used a 1 year old cooler that was never used for food storage.

I would say airing out a new cooler a month or two before use is adequate.
So just leave it open unused for a few months?

Maybe my seasoning process took care of any out-gassing. It did take a couple of weeks to get the humidity balanced.

Top Bottom