What's new

It's Polo and Shorts Season...

In South Carolina, anyway.

I think I'm already set on polos and have been satisfied with my go to brands, which would be Brooks Brothers slim and Ralph Lauren Custom Slim, but I still wouldn't mind hearing other suggestions. Damn, I haven't had to buy any polos in a long time because those always lasted and look new. I don't even need to now, just want to lol

So I need a few new pairs of shorts. Well, I don't really, I'm very fond of Izod Chino for shorts and have been for years, but I'd like to give a couple other brands a look. Thing is, I haven't bought shorts in years, so what are yalls favorite? I don't have any set price point, but would also like to not pay $100 for shorts 😅 I like about a 7" inseam, fitted through the seat, fwiw. Who's making the best Chino shorts?

My daughter lives in the Denver area. They are anticipating up to two feet of snow or more, so it is not exactly shorts weather there. I currently live in the Chicago area. It is supposed to get up to 57 degrees today, but then we are expecting snow on Monday. There was a time when I lived in Savannah, GA. It is supposed to reach 80 degrees there today.

You might want to take a look at Land's End. The offer shorts in a variety of lengths, styles and fits. I am partial to 9" cargo shorts.

I have also purchased shorts from Haggar online. They also offer a lot of options, so you might be able to find something you like.

If you have a Kohl's store nearby, they sell shorts by Izod, Land's End, Haggar, Apt 9 and several other brands, so you might be able to compare them side by side to see which you prefer.

As with shaving supplies, people have different criteria for determining what they consider to be "best", so I do not know whether my suggestions will meet your criteria, but at least you will have a place to start your search.

Reactions: ctr
It's snowing here today. I like polos but need to find a better brand. The collars on mine curl up and look terrible.

Sunny in the 70s here, gorgeous

For shorts, one name kept coming up for the look I prefer plus value; J Crew. I've bought three pairs of their 9" stretch chino shorts today, hopefully the fit through the seat is as good as Izod

Polos are so tricky, different 'models' from the same manufacturer can vary. For instance, Polo RL, the collars on their pique polos roll after a season and the fabric, to me, isn't all that comfortable. However, I've relied on their 'custom slim fit' for years and I have shirts that still look brand new, even the collars. Brooks Brothers slim is a slight step above and I picked up three more of those today, as well. I have a fairly dramatic v-taper and both these makes and models hug my shoulders and arms snugly while not completely ruining my waistline

I'm still shopping, though, so keep suggestions coming :001_tongu

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm still shopping, though, so keep suggestions coming :001_tongu

I have a full supply of polos from years ago, and have not had the need to buy new ones in a long time but ...

... if I were in the market, I'd check out Mizzen and Main. Their "Leeward" dress shirts are great for me, and I suspect they do a good job with polos too.

Maybe mix them up with some old-school Brit-cool ...

I have a full supply of polos from years ago, and have not had the need to buy new ones in a long time but ...

... if I were in the market, I'd check out Mizzen and Main. Their "Leeward" dress shirts are great for me, and I suspect they do a good job with polos too.

Maybe mix them up with some old-school Brit-cool ...

Thank you. Same here, with the models I lean towards, I have shirts five and ten years old that still look new. I don't even NEED new shirts, I just wanted some nice spring colors lol (light pink, light purple, mint green, etc) I'll give yours a look, as well

Went for J Crew shorts in stone, gray and blue and white pinstripes

Wouldn't mind a new belt, either. Fabric, possibly

Thank you. Same here, with the models I lean towards, I have shirts five and ten years old that still look new. I don't even NEED new shirts, I just wanted some nice spring colors lol (light pink, light purple, mint green, etc) I'll give yours a look, as well

Went for J Crew shorts in stone, gray and blue and white pinstripes

Wouldn't mind a new belt, either. Fabric, possibly

Too late on the belt :001_tongu it mimics the whale one on the bottom
Screenshot_20210314-194917_Chrome.jpg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Good suggestions, guys! I need a polo or two myself. I got one last year from Amazon that was, uh, unimpressive. Come to think of it, I've tried a few of their items and haven't landed on a winner yet.

Good suggestions, guys! I need a polo or two myself. I got one last year from Amazon that was, uh, unimpressive. Come to think of it, I've tried a few of their items and haven't landed on a winner yet.

If you want a high quality polo shirt, one potential source is Duluth Trading.

I am very particular about my polo shirts. I want a regular shirt collar instead of the typical rib knit collar. I also like hemmed sleeves rather than ribbed sleeves which are always too tight around my arms. I want a chest pocket as that is where I keep my cell phone. Finding shirts with all three of those features is often difficult. However, I can find them at Duluth Trading.

I like Columbia PFG blood and guts shorts. I live in Florida and it rains every afternoon in the summer. These will dry quick and their good for fishing.

Makes me envious!! Still getting lows in the 30s with an occasional high in the 50s here.

Soon we will catch up to your great weather! :clap:

Makes me envious!! Still getting lows in the 30s with an occasional high in the 50s here.

Soon we will catch up to your great weather! :clap:

Now highs in the 70s and 80s, lows in the 50s. Perfection, but unfortunately, SC only enjoys that weather for about a month or two...then we're good for 100-110 heat index until about September

Anyway, bought several Brooks Brothers slim fit polos and several pairs of J Crew 'Stanton' shorts and both seem pretty fail safe. If you have a v taper, still get slim fit; regular is baggy and unflattering

I’ve had great luck with the Brooks Bro‘s polos. I actually got them from the outlet, which I’m sure a re a slightly lower spec but for something to knock about in for summer.

I’ve had great luck with the Brooks Bro‘s polos. I actually got them from the outlet, which I’m sure a re a slightly lower spec but for something to knock about in for summer.

Yep I just bought four, not from the outlet, and they seem to be the quality I'm accustomed to. Seem to still be well made.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I love the polos (and everything else) from O'Connell's, no logos, just under $60, long tails.

I buy 4-6 Peter Millar and Johnnie O polos every year and rotate out the older ones to Goodwill every couple years.
With shorts, you can't go wrong with Peter Millar, Lululemon and Rhone as far as casual shorts. For lounging around the house shorts go with Vuori.

I amazed that polyester which was originally upmarket as artificial silk, then downmarket, is now premium. It's total garbage.

Top Bottom