What's new

It’s one of those threads: what are your desert island tobaccos?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
trying to narrow down pipe tobaccos that I would want to bulk up on. I have no desire to obtain hundreds of different varieties of tobacco. Instead I would like to keep a narrowed collection.

Top three pipe tobacco that you will never be without, and what you would classify them as such as aromatic, English, etc

I think at the moment there is only 1 that I can think of that I will NEVER be without, which is Ten Russians an English blend.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think it’s good to have a wide array of tobaccos to choose from. Admittedly I have a buttocks load of different blends, from a couple ounces up to several pounds. I wouldn’t pass up getting a few tins of this and that to break the monotony once in a while.

For me my top 3 are Hal o The Wynd, Old Joe Krantz and Solani ABF. The funny thing is I only smoke the OJK regularly, the other 2 are cellared for the future.

I would have to go with;
1. Newminster Superior Round Slices (Virginia/Dark Fired Kentucky)
2. C&D Star of the East (Latakia blend)
3. PS Luxury Navy Flake (VaPer)

I could easily be happy with;
1. PS Luxury Bullseye Flake (VaPer w/Cavendish)
2. PS Proper English (English blend)
3. MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed. (Burley, Virginia, Dark Fired Kentucky)

That being said, it’s always nice to have a nice aromatic like MacBaren’s Vanilla Cream Loose Cut on hand for smoking around other people.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I, too, have gotten to the point where I want more of a few brands of tobaccos. So, here is my top for different types. For English, MacBaren HH Latakia Flake. For Virginia, it would be HH Pure Virginia. For VaBur, then HH Old Dark Fired (although Burley Flake is pretty good, too). Availability plays a factor in this. Esoterica Penzance is my favorite, but it is rarer than hen's teeth.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
VaBur -Stonehaven, but I would settle for Irish Flake

Dark Fired - Bold Ky

Aromatic- Cult Blood Red Moon

Top three blends I will never be without:

1. Escudo
2. Stonehaven
3. Marlin Flake

I've already laid in for the tobaccolypse - about 40 tins of Escudo, almost 4# of Marlin Flake, and close to 7# of Stonehaven. Bolstered by supporting stocks of other blends, I will never run out of these. My son will thank me one day.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member

1. Escudo
2. Stonehaven
3. Marlin Flake

I've already laid in for the tobaccolypse - about 40 tins of Escudo, almost 4# of Marlin Flake, and close to 7# of Stonehaven. Bolstered by supporting stocks of other blends, I will never run out of these. My son will thank me one day.

I need to step up my game!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

1. Escudo
2. Stonehaven
3. Marlin Flake

Thanks dad. :lol:

My go to daily smoke is Arango Balkan Supreme - (English Balkan) I have 12 or 13 pounds in the cellar.
I like Penzance (English flake) & Stonehaven (Va-Bur) got 5 or 6 lbs of each in bulk and several tins.
I like all the P.S. Luxury Va/Va-Pers (flake, bullseye & twist). Have several pounds of each.

Like Price, my cellar is in pretty good shape. Going forward, I will only be buying un-obtainiums and super sale items.

I like Penzance (English flake) & Stonehaven (Va-Bur) got 5 or 6 lbs of each in bulk and several tins.
Sweet Jesus!! I was feeling pretty good having a couple pounds of Nightcap & Nine 2 Five left. I’m gonna go back to the kids table now.
I don’t have a top 3 besides those and maybe Cult BRM for an aromatic.

It's hard for me to narrow it down to three as I've only been back at pipe smoking for a little over a year, after a 30+ year hiatus. The number of blends available is astounding and I'm working on finding what I really like. Thus, my top three changes from time to time. I have a fair amount of Escudo and Viprati stored up, along with PS LBF. But lately I've discovered the house blends at Watch City Cigar & Pipe; I've liked all I've tried and a few of them are show stoppers. A new blend, Rhythm & Blues is a wonderful VaPer; Quints Own is very much akin to some Frog Morton Cellar I recently smoked; Deluxe Crumb Cut is a fantastic burley. 4Q is an upscale...well you can imagine what.
My top three right now? Quints Own, Rhythm & Blues, and SPC Plum Pudding Special Reserve. I need more of all three!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Where are people finding poundage of Esotericas?

I accumulated a bunch over a 3 year period being bey diligent and searching lots of the smaller outlets. And then buying everything I could when I found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I accumulated a bunch over a 3 year period being bey diligent and searching lots of the smaller outlets. And then buying everything I could when I found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep. This. Seems like it drops twice a year, and you have to be ready to jump when it does. Buy early, buy often.

I don't smoke but I have memories of giving Christmas presents to my grandfather in Wales who was a pipe smoker. We're talking 50-60s here, and his favourites were Baby's Bottom, Three Nuns and Three Castles. There were probably one or two more he used to smoke but I forget their names.

Top Bottom