What's new

It's official: I'm an Arkolyte

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
From what I’ve read, the puck is just the stick with less water, but the other ingredients are the same. With just over 12 sticks and a few other soaps to enjoy - and the 90g puck costing significantly more than the 75g - someone else can find out for realsies.

@JohnPS , if you have a space available, the Arko sticks air out and the citronella smell dissipates over a few days. Never fully, but it and the patchouli/Nag Champa overtones are subdued.

I surrendered to the irresistible lure of Arko and got baptized today. Being one who gets excited by frugality, and a confirmed Williams Muggist, Arko was inevitable.

Arko is without a doubt a convenient, economical, and excellent shaving soap. Rub the stick on, fingers stay dry, instant lather with a soft brush, excellent glide and protection. But y'all knew that.

I can live with the scent as the performance is excellent; better than Williams. Will I buy it again? Well, with a fresh stick and 4 pucks of Williams in my cabinet I will not have to make that decision for a long time.

Great soap. I put the stick in a roll tube and just turn the base to apply. It’s also a grate soap. Just grate a stick into a bowl or cup and use like any puck.

For me the smell is fine. Just a clean scent.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
From what I’ve read, the puck is just the stick with less water, but the other ingredients are the same. With just over 12 sticks and a few other soaps to enjoy - and the 90g puck costing significantly more than the 75g - someone else can find out for realsies.
20210208_110358[1].jpg
The 90g puck does cost more, but you get this really cool tub to keep it in, and I prefer to load my ARKO from a tub.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That is a handy option. I just rub the stick over my whiskers as I leave the shower and am ready to lather when I get to the sink. A synthetic brush and indoor plumbing complete the fusion of luxury and convenience.

Took a week off from shaving and returned with Arko, a small Omega boar, a previously used Astra platinum blade, and my Merkur 34C.

30 minutes later: perfection

I honestly think most new shavers should start with a shave stick. Arko, Tabac, Speick or La Toja. All of these make excellent lather quickly and easily. I think it would cut down on the razor burn we all suffered when we began.

I'm still only an Arko Porter, and mine is the stick (my first) that I pressed down into a coffee mug with my knuckles. I do have my eye on that catchy-looking Arko tub! I actually like the smell, even though it comes off as artificial.

I microwaved my stick for 2 seconds and squeezed it into a bowl. Now it works like regular soap :-D

Whatever lemony smell there was initially dissipated quite quickly!

Another delightful shave this morning!

Arko stick
Yaqi Segrada Familia brush
A new Astra platinum blade
Merkur 34C HD razor
Cold water shave with alum block and Skin Bracer.

Soft and smoooooooth.

I asked about the tub last month but nobody replied (it's OK, I know there are other important things to take care of, like picking out that 87th soap for the collection 👓). Anyway, how big is it? The same size as the Cella tub? Hard to tell from the visual that thombrogan helpfully supplied.

Top Bottom