What's new

It's official: I'm an Arkolyte

First time use of Arko (shaving stick) with Merkur 34C, Omega 13564 boar, and a new Astra Platinum blade. Cold water shave. Beard growth five days. Finish with alum block, rinse, and then Skin Bracer.

Let's get the scent profile out of the way. It smells like soap. Clean soap. Soap-soap. Not urinal cake, not lemon, and not citronella. Just good old fashioned soap. Like Ivory? Yeah, pretty close.

Wetted face for 30 seconds with ice cold water then rubbed Arko stick on face and the went to work with the squeezed out boar brush and in seconds...BOOM! This soap is kind of thirsty so I dipped the brush tips into warm water a few times while lathering during all three passes.

I also applied the stick directly to my face again before lathering up for the second pass.

Very impressive results esp. given the price point (Maggard, $4.50/2 sticks). Lots of cushion nice slickness which allowed me to do quite a bit of blade buffing without irritation.

I have no problems recommending this soap.

Very nice. When I first tore open my Arko stick, I found the scent really pleasant and pretty intense - like some have said here, an industrial hotel soap smell, but nice. I just unwrapped it and smushed it into a coffee mug. Pretty good stuff though the scent is obviously really artificial. I think of it as a "citrus" soap.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome into the Arko gang. I switched to an Arko stick last year (from Proraso green cream) and really enjoy SR shaving with it. I bought 10 sticks directly from Turkey for USD 20 including delivery. I have since given 4 sticks away. Each stick last me about 200 shaves.

I'm really puzzled by the strong reaction a lot of people have to the Arko scent. It seems very similar to the older versions of Ivory soap, so reminds me of taking baths as a kid - "It floats".

1612172752173.png

"Arkolyte"! I like that!

Arko simply smells like soap. The only odd thing about it, to me, is that when I apply it from my stick, at first it appears that I haven't put enough on -- that I'll have a thin, disappointing lather. Not so, Boy Wonder! When I bring the damp synth brush into play, it lathers up beautifully. Some have said it leaves their faces feeling a bit dry, but I haven't noticed that.

Once i'm done with all the creams that I have left, i'm going to buy and use only Arko. I've got most of my best shaves with that soap and I see no reason to buy anything else. I actually like the scent of Arko more than any of the Proraso creams that i've tried.

Top Bottom