What's new

It's official: Al Gore and the IPCC win the Nobel Peace Prize

It is curious, though, that Gore gets so much credit for all of this. He has contributed no actual data or proof to this argument. All he has done is sensationalized the issue with factually inaccurate agitprop.
A London court has now found that there were 11 inaccuracies in his film:
* The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government’s expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.
* The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.
* The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that it was “not possible” to attribute one-off events to global warming.
* The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that this was not the case.
* The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.
* The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant’s evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.
* The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
* The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.
* The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.
* The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.
* The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
Furthermore, if his case is so convincing that this planet is on a downward spiral of man-made global warming, why was the (inaccurate) date of 1998 given as the hottest in the U.S.? We are now almost ten years out from that date, and none of these intervening years have now become the new "hottest" year in the U.S. in history. In fact, with the newly corrected data, it turns out that 6 of the 10 hottest years on record in the U.S. were on or before 1953, with the hottest being 1934. If we are experiencing so much warming, I would have thought the top 10 list would have been more heavily slanted towards the latter end of the 20th century.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The news article I read explained that if the dire predictions come to pass, there will be mass migrations to less affected areas, and desperate competition for resources, leading to conflict and wars. If that's taken at face value, then one could find justification in promoting awareness of global warming in an effort to reverse it and avoid those conflicts. One still might not agree, but at least it doesn't seem completely far-fetched.

By that logic, you could award it to convicted murderers who might have preemptively snuffed out the next Hitler. (Ding! Godwin's Law! Thread over.)

This just in Gore is now considered the front runner for the Heisman Trophy.

That is all, Carry on:smile:
:lol:
Perhaps, but I understand his latest project is to pursue his claim that the "statue of liberty" play was modeled after his "wooden Indian" play.

It is curious, though, that Gore gets so much credit for all of this. He has contributed no actual data or proof to this argument. All he has done is sensationalized the issue with factually inaccurate agitprop.
A London court has now found that there were 11 inaccuracies in his film:
* The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government’s expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.
* The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.
* The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that it was “not possible” to attribute one-off events to global warming.
* The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that this was not the case.
* The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.
* The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant’s evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.
* The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
* The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.
* The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.
* The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.
* The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
Furthermore, if his case is so convincing that this planet is on a downward spiral of man-made global warming, why was the (inaccurate) date of 1998 given as the hottest in the U.S.? We are now almost ten years out from that date, and none of these intervening years have now become the new "hottest" year in the U.S. in history. In fact, with the newly corrected data, it turns out that 6 of the 10 hottest years on record in the U.S. were on or before 1953, with the hottest being 1934. If we are experiencing so much warming, I would have thought the top 10 list would have been more heavily slanted towards the latter end of the 20th century.

It's Friday evening so without going into a discussion about what is right or not, have you seen the Channel 4 documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle"? If not try to find it, IMO it is worth watching. It should be available online, although I noticed that it has been removed from Youtube and Google Video's. I'd post a link, but am not sure what the rules are for copyright protected material, you should be able to find it through Google though.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I actually like Al Gore but ...his actions are not of a man who cares about global warming...

He lives in a 10,000 sq ft home...and uses 12 times the amount of electricity that the normal home uses in Nashville...

He takes a private jet all over the world to give speaches and to attend functions...the jet will put out more CO2 in a month than the average person will in a year...

He takes limo's everywhere he goes...and they average around 10 mpg.....

His CO2 footprint is huge and he is making money telling everyone that they need to decrease their CO2 footprint...

Just my 2 Cents

I agree. I think he's a likeable, very smart guy who lost the biggest prize in the political game by a short hair, and so he's now struggling to invent the modicum of personality that he so desperately needed to win in 2000.

By any accounting, he will personally use more fossil fuel, release more CO2 (and hot air), and cause more harm to the environment this year than I will in the remainder of my life.:thumbdown

When I talk the talk, I may say "pave over the rainforest", and I may ascribe to the Dennis Miller position that when push comes to shove and it's a choice between using the same towel for both my butt and my face versus a rise in the sea level , then all I can say is "surf's up!"; but when I walk the walk I do it in a Prius. If you get less than 50mpg, I need neither your advice nor admonition.

Besides, I think this thread has totally missed the point. His award has nothing to do with global warming. Rather, he is being recognized for his invention of the internet.

It comes as no surprise to me. They gave it to Carter for no other reason than as a political statement against Bush. And let's not forget that this prize has also been awarded to such "peaceful" noteworthies as Arafat.
This prize is independent in everything but name from the awards for true achievements, and so who really cares?

+1. Moreover, recipients such as Gore and Arafat represent the prize's slow descent into irrelevance. It has been co-opted by left-wing politics to serve as a merit badge for those who do the most to advance their agenda.

Other historic nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize include Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin. As ridiculous as this was, consider what Nobel himself set as the requirements to win. Paraphrasing- That this person will have done more than anyone else to work for the fraternity of nations, reductions of standing armies and promote or hold peace congresses. Al Gore has done none of these things. In fact the promotion of Global Warming Scheme is divisive and harmful to the fraternity of nations. Just look at the split it causes here.

This is so because he and his ilk have taken a scientific issue and blocked true scientific examination of that issue. Those scientist, and there are many, who chose to question the mantra that global warming is man made, find there fortunes few and far between. This while those who wish to study the breeding habits of some obscure species can guarantee funding by simply titling the study "Examination of the Effect of Global Warming on the Breeding Habits of xxxxx".

Global warming is big business and it has become a tool to a political end.

I don’t think anyone doubts that global warming exists, but the power comes from exploiting the viewpoint that it is caused by the evil exploitation of the environment by man.

The "Inconvenient Truth" conveniently ignores many scientific facts to the point I consider it wholesale lying. Probably most significantly in examination of the ice core samples, which do show an elevated carbon dioxide level, that follows the historic global warming periods. But they conveniently fail to mention that the carbon dioxide levels lag the temperature increase by hundreds of years. There have been in history times when it has been much warmer and much colder than it is now. We did not have the industrial revolution to blame for all previous excursions so why now? I think we know the answer.

I think he clearly did not meet the requirements so he does not deserve it. But I don’t consider it important so to me it makes no difference that Al Gore wins the Nobel Peace Prize. I guess he beat out such other notable nominees as Bill Clinton and Benito Mussolini.

Mike

What does leading the Global Warming cause have to do with World Peace?

I am not sure why this award is going to Al Gore, but who am to say, I am only a simpleton who just wants to know when his dream of owning a Simpson's Chubby 3 :001_tt1: :001_tt1: will come true.

I would definitely vouch for Gore for the Nobel Prize if he can correct the Simpson quality Issues? That would be well deserved IMO :w00t:

The literature and peace prices are both mainly political and since Norway is (in the words of a previous Swedish minister) "the last soviet state" this is what you get.

Wow - the ad hominem attacks on Gore are out in full force. I don't get it. He's a wealthy powerful guy who was a VP for almost a decade. Those guys don't fly coach and they never will - nor will they share a duplex with their cousin. So climate change is his big issue - if creation of personal wealth is his agenda, he'd have chosen a racket like Cheney is in. At any rate, the essential issue is pollution. Who doesn't want less pollution? I did not vote for Gore and I'm not on board with every one of the claims, but as far as politicians go, he's one of the least slimy you could find. Intimating that he has no credibility to ruminate on the carbon footprint issue becaue he has a big house is intellectually no different than saying Bush has no credibility on the war because he never fought in one. It takes all kinds and we all have different situations. My golf pro fixed my swing - now I kick his a## with it. But he doesn't have to be a great golfer to be good at what he's doing - he just has to be good at fixing golf swings. Gore is pretty good at being a spokesman for this issue, but I don't expect to see him carrying out his own recycling any time soon. Not really a hot button issue for me - I just don't like attacking the man rather than the issue anymore than I like it when people do it to the current President. It's just not productive.

Wow - the ad hominem attacks on Gore are out in full force. I don't get it. He's a wealthy powerful guy who was a VP for almost a decade.

Those three sentences together really made me smile. Ad hominem attacks on a wealthy and powerful politician? Imagine that. :smile:

Really, I like Gore. I'm a little miffed about the house thing, though. I really think it would say a lot if he tried a little harder. But I like him, I worked hard on his campaign in 2000, and I support his work popularizing the importance of global warming as a serious issue.

That said, I still do not really get it. The connection to world peace is arguably there, but it is definitely indirect. It is a lot more historically consistent to give the prize to someone who's work was more directly related to peace.

-Mo

Actually, I think that for the most part the attacks here have been regarding his most visible achievement that won him the prize - his presentation and movie on global warming. As I posted previously, multiple inaccuracies have been pointed out in this movie, and yet he wins a prize for peace. I do think that it is hypocritical that he expects the rest of humanity to sacrifice for the environment to a level that he is not willing to do. I think the issue of carbon offsets is a hoax, and do not accept that he can purchase enough offsets to justify his carbon footprint. Kind of brings to mind the selling of indulgences by the Catholic church that was one of the most immediate causes of the Reformation kicking off. Sin all you want, just as long as you can afford to buy these get out of hell cards. Same thing here. Burn all the energy you want, because conservation only applies to the poor schmucks beneath you who can't afford carbon offsets.

OH!!!! Al GORE...see, I thought someone said it was Al SHARPTON...

In any case, one of the reasons I think Al Gore got it was because his son was able to prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that a Prius really CAN go over 100 MPH!

Is it me or is it HOT in here? What gives?

It is a lot more historically consistent to give the prize to someone who's work was more directly related to peace.

-Mo

Yeah, I'm with you there. Seems something of an odd choice for a 'peace' award, but it ain't mine to give so I don't worry about it. I was kind of commenting on the level to which some people hate the guy. With Clinton, I can see it. With Bush 2, I can see it. They are pretty polarizing figures. Gore on the other hand, for a career politician is a relatively honest, relatively bland dude. The things people have against him are mostly pretty bland stuff in comparison to most who have been in his position. I might not agree with a guy like that but it would be hard to be super angry with the guy.

Top Bottom