What's new

It's official: Al Gore and the IPCC win the Nobel Peace Prize

I can't say I'm surprised.

Gentlemen and Ladies, keep in mind in this thread, people will disagree, but let's keep it civil. The last contraversial thread has been going quite well thus far, let's go for two! :biggrin:

No surprise, IMO a little far fetch for a peace prize though... He'll be donating the prize money, maybe to buy a bunch of trees to balance out all the hotshots flying in to the ceremonies and banquette and all :biggrin:.

BTW anybody see the Channel 4 documentary "The Great Global Warming Swindle"? It used to be on YouTube but was removed I think.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Peace? What does that have to do with peace? What's the matter, they couldn't fit it into a category for science? :lol:

(Oh, lighten up already.)

I just read the announcement of the The Norwegian Nobel Committee. It is the very last sentence that does me in:
"Action is necessary now, before climate change moves beyond man’s control.".
To me this is symptomatic of much of the climate discussion... As if we ever had control to begin with...

It comes as no surprise to me. They gave it to Carter for no other reason than as a political statement against Bush. And let's not forget that this prize has also been awarded to such "peaceful" noteworthies as Arafat.
This prize is independent in everything but name from the awards for true achievements, and so who really cares?

It comes as no surprise to me. They gave it to Carter for no other reason than as a political statement against Bush. And let's not forget that this prize has also been awarded to such "peaceful" noteworthies as Arafat.
This prize is independent in everything but name from the awards for true achievements, and so who really cares?

+1 I wholeheartedly concur. Couldn't have said it better. Sec, just like Al himself.:biggrin:

Gore proved himself to be a dunce when he lost the 2000 election to a bigger dunce who got us into this godforsaken war and keeps wasting American lives in another countries' civil war.

How does that qualify him for any type of peace prize?

So, let me get this straight: the Nobel Peace Prize has gone to the person that has done more to take the issue of humans causing Global Warming, real or imagined, and polarize it along political lines than anyone else.

So, let me get this straight: the Nobel Peace Prize has gone to the person that has done more to take the issue of humans causing Global Warming, real or imagined, and polarize it along political lines than anyone else.

Gore didn't make it political. It is political because the issue involves money and power. What is more political than money and power? (That raving leftwinger Alan Greenspan thinks that's why we invaded Iraq).

It is also political because some right wing nutjobs say that no matter how much evidence there is and the essential universal agreement of scientists -- global warming must not be happpening simply because they hate Al Gore and he agrees with those scientists. Al Gore better not say that 2+2=4 or they will stop being able to do simple math.

I actually like Al Gore but ...his actions are not of a man who cares about global warming...

He lives in a 10,000 sq ft home...and uses 12 times the amount of electricity that the normal home uses in Nashville...

He takes a private jet all over the world to give speaches and to attend functions...the jet will put out more CO2 in a month than the average person will in a year...

He takes limo's everywhere he goes...and they average around 10 mpg.....

His CO2 footprint is huge and he is making money telling everyone that they need to decrease their CO2 footprint...

Just my 2 Cents

there are 5 categories of Nobel prizes.... physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and peace. I am curious about Al Gore's win because it has nothing to do with peace, but climate change... looking at the list of Nobel winners, this is the first "non-peace" Nobel "peace" prize winner I can see...... I am not saying that he accomplished nothing, but it seems weird to award it for peace, and it turns out, so soon..... Most scientific nobel laureates win after a "recognition time lag" or in other words, until the body of their work has stood the test of time, and is shown to have produced the greatest impact on the topic, and for humanity. I think there is some politicizing here, but this is far from unusual.. Nobel Prizes have been controversial for a long time.

Many die before their work is "recognized", and fail to win because the award rules prohibit "posthumous" nominees, the two exceptions died after they were nominated. Mahatma Gandhi was rumored to have been the favorite the year he was assassinated.... Amazingly, he was nominated 5 times and never won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

The news article I read explained that if the dire predictions come to pass, there will be mass migrations to less affected areas, and desperate competition for resources, leading to conflict and wars. If that's taken at face value, then one could find justification in promoting awareness of global warming in an effort to reverse it and avoid those conflicts. One still might not agree, but at least it doesn't seem completely far-fetched.

Gore didn't make it political. It is political because the issue involves money and power. What is more political than money and power? (That raving leftwinger Alan Greenspan thinks that's why we invaded Iraq).

It is also political because some right wing nutjobs say that no matter how much evidence there is and the essential universal agreement of scientists -- global warming must not be happpening simply because they hate Al Gore and he agrees with those scientists. Al Gore better not say that 2+2=4 or they will stop being able to do simple math.

Yep, that is how Gore made it political. By making himself the host/narrator for the movie instead of someone considered politically neutral, he pretty much assured that opinion on this would be drawn along party lines.

The Burma monks deserved this far more than he.

there are 5 categories of Nobel prizes.... physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and peace. I am curious about Al Gore's win because it has nothing to do with peace, but climate change... looking at the list of Nobel winners, this is the first "non-peace" Nobel "peace" prize winner I can see...... I am not saying that he accomplished nothing, but it seems weird to award it for peace, and it turns out, so soon..... Most scientific nobel laureates win after a "recognition time lag" or in other words, until the body of their work has stood the test of time, and is shown to have produced the greatest impact on the topic, and for humanity. I think there is some politicizing here, but this is far from unusual.. Nobel Prizes have been controversial for a long time.

Many die before their work is "recognized", and fail to win because the award rules prohibit "posthumous" nominees, the two exceptions died after they were nominated. Mahatma Gandhi was rumored to have been the favorite the year he was assassinated.... Amazingly, he was nominated 5 times and never won.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_laureates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobel_Prize

The reason for the lag in the other awards is (among other things) the group that decides the winner of the peace prize is not affiliated with the groups that award the other scientific awards. With those awards, there is a more stringent process, and they usually look for accomplishments that have a serious impact, which, in science, often takes many years to fully appreciate. I may be wrong, but I think the average is 20 years from achievement to prize. In that time, most winners have also won other significant awards in their respective fields, and so the Nobel ends up being the capstone. It is never really out of the blue and is merely the final vindication of the significant impact that the work has had on the world.
The Peace prize has long been known to be very politically motivated, and they as much as admitted this in the statement they issued when awarding it to Jimmy Carter. As opposed to the scientific awards, this one tends to be radically subjective. And given the politics of those eligible to vote for this, it ends up, in several cases, being their futile attempt to make a political statement to the United States, especially under Republican administrations.
Again, the only thing this award has in common with the others is that they all have the name Nobel in them.

The news article I read explained that if the dire predictions come to pass, there will be mass migrations to less affected areas, and desperate competition for resources, leading to conflict and wars. If that's taken at face value, then one could find justification in promoting awareness of global warming in an effort to reverse it and avoid those conflicts. One still might not agree, but at least it doesn't seem completely far-fetched.

Wait a second, is this a prediction of what global warming could bring about, or merely a brief summary of the history of mankind? Throughout human history, there have been several mass migrations away from areas impacted by some sort of climatological phenomenon towards more temperate areas, leading to competition for resources (whether it be land, oil, water, fishing grounds, hunting grounds, etc.), which has led to conflict and war. So basically, according to this article, global warming is a critical issue because it will cause mankind to continue to do what it has done since the dawn of man?

The Peace prize has long been known to be very politically motivated, and they as much as admitted this in the statement they issued when awarding it to Jimmy Carter. As opposed to the scientific awards, this one tends to be radically subjective....

Good point. Excatly what segregationists said when MLK won the award.

Yep, that is how Gore made it political. By making himself the host/narrator for the movie instead of someone considered politically neutral, he pretty much assured that opinion on this would be drawn along party lines.

The Burma monks deserved this far more than he.

Some might say that if a scientist who did not have a political profile had narrated the movie then it would not have received as much attention. Of course, as you suggest, negative attention doesn't necessarily advance that particular goal of reducing emissions of CO2.

Also, some non-political scientists who are experts on the issue have been gagged by the Bush administration.

Wait a second, is this a prediction of what global warming could bring about, or merely a brief summary of the history of mankind? Throughout human history, there have been several mass migrations away from areas impacted by some sort of climatological phenomenon towards more temperate areas, leading to competition for resources (whether it be land, oil, water, fishing grounds, hunting grounds, etc.), which has led to conflict and war. So basically, according to this article, global warming is a critical issue because it will cause mankind to continue to do what it has done since the dawn of man?

So, year to year, decade to decade, century to century, there has been exactly the same amont of wars? There have been no periods of relative peace or strife?

Top Bottom