What's new

It's not a closed comb, it's a safety bar!

Just for fun,

proxy.php

I would agree with what I think your real sentiment is: that many people mistakenly refer to guard bar razors as "closed comb."

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :lol:

This is how I should have originally worded my post:
With regard to double edge safety razors, there exists a common descriptive error when differentiating between safety bar and open comb designs. Newcomers to the field often make the mistake of categorizing the safety bar design as "closed comb," a term that flows logically from "open comb" but is nonetheless erroneous. Such designs feature a solid, uninterrupted guard bar rather than a comb.[sup]1[/sup]

[sup]1[/sup] There exists a tiny subset of double edge safety razors whose design cannot be unambiguously categorized as safety bar or open comb. The existence of such hybrids presents a rhetorical conundrum for anyone wishing to correct the common error discussed above.

See? Now isn't that more fun??? :w00t:

unambiguously, categorized, rhetorical, conundrum... Yer just bringing out big words to confusatat us.

I'm gonna get my Flair tips out and throw them in your general direction.

-jim

In seriousness, the pet peeve I'm pointing out is pretty much a newbie problem.

Anyone who has amassed a big collection of razors, including some of the gorgeous examples in here, knows exactly what a safety bar design is, what an open comb design is, and what a not-quite-either-one-of-those design is.

I had fun with you guys busting my chops, though. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
There's no such thing as a closed comb.

proxy.php

End of nitpick :001_tt2:

You're forgetting that the majority of SE razors up until the Micromatic era would fall into the closed-comb camp, too -- nearly all the old lather catchers, the 1912, the 1914, and the 1924, the Jewel/Streamline.

I would agree with what I think your real sentiment is: that many people mistakenly refer to guard bar razors as "closed comb." However, I wouldn't agree that there's no such thing as a closed comb.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! :lol:

This is how I should have originally worded my post:
With regard to double edge safety razors, there exists a common descriptive error when differentiating between safety bar and open comb designs. Newcomers to the field often make the mistake of categorizing the safety bar design as "closed comb," a term that flows logically from "open comb" but is nonetheless erroneous. Such designs feature a solid, uninterrupted guard bar rather than a comb.[sup]1[/sup]

[sup]1[/sup] There exists the most important subset of double edge safety razors whose design cannot be unambiguously categorized as safety bar or open comb. The existence of such hybrids presents a hugh conundrum for Franz who hates to admit his monumental mistake in overlooking some of the best razors ever made.

See? Now isn't that more fun??? :w00t:

Your right this is fun! :w00t:

The existence of such hybrids presents a huge conundrum for Franz who hates to admit his monumental mistake in overlooking some of the best razors ever made.

:lol:

Big mistake. Big. Huge!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always liked language debates. And this is the funniest thread I've read on the B&B forum, so can't resist to comment. Here is something from my prespective of an ESL member of the gang trying to make an educated point :001_tt2: - the alternatives of an 'open comb' are 'guard/safety bar with comb' and just 'guard/safety bar (without comb)'. :001_tongu

This is one of those amusing confusions like the problem with the 'shallow' and 'sharp' angles. But this is a theme for another thread.

Hey, while we're on people hosing razor language, can we all just vote to allow me to attach a car battery to the soft bits of people who describe items like the one below as a "razor back" instead of a "racer back"? Stupid people junking up my eBay searches... :cursing:

$$(KGrHqYOKkYE3RnBYMZ1BN-okIor!!~~0_12.JPG

Hey, watch it! You don't want to flair up his temper.

His nostrils really flair when his temper flairs.

He may get so angry that he performs a Thomas Flair.

We don't want to see that, do we?

You beat me to it. What the heck is a Thomas Flair?

While we're at it, if I see one more ebay ad for a "very unique" razor... (Unique means "one of a kind". There are no degrees of "one of a kind. It is or it ain't. :wink:)

Oh, and with you on safety bar. And flare tip. And get off my lawn.

Top Bottom