What's new

It's not a closed comb, it's a safety bar!

In all the patents I have read, it is called a guard, or a guard bar.

Just sayin. :001_tt2:

Attachments

• $cc_vs_safety-bar-2.jpg
    $cc_vs_safety-bar-2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Folks,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread! It's one of the best I've read. You are correct, in your various ways. My congratulations to each of you!

The R41 is another kettle of fish. Most have been calling it a "tooth comb," which seems to be the literal translation from German (Zahnkamm). It definitely has a safety bar, but looks more like a hybrid -- which has a better ring to it, IMO, than "combed safety bar." :huh:

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You are correct! Most people eat their sandwich in the "closed-face" orientation with the filling sandwiched between the bread. You could argue that an "open-faced" sandwich was not really a sandwich at all as the filling is not in fact sandwiched between anything.

Not sure a closed combe could combe anything, so can see why one might argue that the term is being mis-applied.

LOL!! Makes you wonder who the wise guy was who coined the term...

The USDA defines a closed faced sandwich as:
Product must contain at least 35 percent cooked meat and no more than 50 percent bread. Sandwiches are not amendable to inspection. … Typical “closed-faced” sandwiches consisting of two slices of bread or the top and bottom sections of a sliced bun that enclose meat or poultry, are not amendable to the federal meat and poultry inspection laws. Therefore, they are not required to be inspected nor bear the marks of inspection when distributed in interstate commerce.
An open faced sandwich is defined by the USDA as:
Must contain at least 50 percent cooked meat. Sandwiches are amendable only if they are open faced sandwiches.
Closed faced sandwiches are regulated by the FDA. Open faced sandwiches are regulated by the USDA. The major difference being, the FDA inspects manufacturers about once every five years. The USDA inspects manufacturers daily.

proxy.php

The R41 is another kettle of fish. Most have been calling it a "tooth comb," which seems to be the literal translation from German (Zahnkamm). It definitely has a safety bar, but looks more like a hybrid -- which has a better ring to it, IMO, than "combed safety bar." :huh:
Ooooh, ya..... "Hybrid" is way cool with the 2011 hipsters!

I'm gonna run down to the patent office and make the words "eco razor" mine...so Gillette won't take it first..then I must sue them or just get $2 for every infringement. :001_tt2:

I'm with the "pro-closed-comb" camp. There's a difference between "guard bar" razors like a Gillette Super Speed or an EJ DE89, where there's a solid bar connected to the guard plate in two or three places, and a razor like this one:

attachment.php

I don't think you could call that a guard bar razor, since the contact point that provides the guard edge is actually the teeth, not the connected bar part of the bottom plate.

I wouldn't even begin to know what to call the Myatt Daymark's handlebar-moustache-comb-bar-thingie, though:

proxy.php

You collectors coming out with obscurities are only proving my point! :tongue_sm

$razors_pie-chart.jpg

Nice razors, BTW, Porter.

You're forgetting that the majority of SE razors up until the Micromatic era would fall into the closed-comb camp, too -- nearly all the old lather catchers, the 1912, the 1914, and the 1924, the Jewel/Streamline.

I would agree with what I think your real sentiment is: that many people mistakenly refer to guard bar razors as "closed comb." However, I wouldn't agree that there's no such thing as a closed comb.

It took me 15 minutes to find my Myatt

$IMG_3943.jpg

Superior lather catcher

$IMG_3941.jpg

Need to push the little piece of pie up larger! :smile:

-jim

Top Bottom