What's new

It’s like the night before Christmas

My first purchased straight razor was delivered today and I can’t wait to use it tomorrow morning.

I did use a gold dolar straight few times (it was a gift few years ago) and also a shavette for few times. Both of them probably a total of 10-15 times.

My new razor is a vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch that’s shave ready.

I do want to take care of it as I don’t plan on buying more razors anytime soon. After using, do I just use a towel to dry off completely and what are general tips to make sure my razor is taken care of?

I do have a strop, probably not the best quality but will strop after the first use and before every time I use it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first purchased straight razor was delivered today and I can’t wait to use it tomorrow morning.

I did use a gold dolar straight few times (it was a gift few years ago) and also a shavette for few times. Both of them probably a total of 10-15 times.

My new razor is a vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch that’s shave ready.

I do want to take care of it as I don’t plan on buying more razors anytime soon. After using, do I just use a towel to dry off completely and what are general tips to make sure my razor is taken care of?

I do have a strop, probably not the best quality but will strop after the first use and before every time I use it.

I dry mine with toilet paper, very carefully, avoiding the edge. Then I strop it to dry the edge, either on my linen strop or on toilet paper (lightly, carefully, just a touch to get the water off). Don't forget to dry inside the scales (insert toilet paper between them).

I strop on leather after each shave and before each shave, about 50 or so laps. If you mess up the stropping the edge with be toast. Make sure you learn to strop before you put your new razor on the strop. Strop slowly and carefully with the spine always on the strop. Practice with a butterknife first.

Be careful with the razor and keep your blood inside your skin.

Congratulations and happy shaves,

Jim

I wipe razor with clean dry t shirt after use. Then I strop on linen a dozen times followed by a few more on leather. It dries open while I am at work. Then it returns to the storage case.

Top Bottom