What's new

It's just soap?

I'm living those good old days right now and don't plan on going back. Took a long time to get there though.
I'm slowly working my way through my collection. I'm down to six partial creams, and 14 soaps in various used conditions.

Clayton

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

For me, the title says it all. “It’s just soap”. At one point, I spent a lot of money on unnecessary amounts shaving products. Turns out most of my favourite products happen to be the some of the least expensive.
Currently on year 4 sabbatical, and once my remaining soaps/creams run out, I will replace with one product until
thats gone, and so on. I refuse to be selfishly wasteful and excessive. Maybe I’m just cheap, and unsophisticated :blush:

Many bath soaps do produce slick lather. I have shaved with Irish Spring, but I prefer Yardley of London Cocoa Butter soap as the cocoa butter and Shea butter are good for moisturizing. The problem with bath soaps, however, are that the lather tends to be very foamy, lacking density. If you have less-sensitive skin, that may not be an issue, but my skin is sensitive and I prefer the cushion/protection provided by shaving soaps that provides a denser lather.
The best Bath soap that I've tested to make a good lather by it self is Dove. I have found that mixing a half bar of Dove bath soap with a puck of New Williams Mug soap by shaving both, mixing together and pressing into a bowl. This mix makes a wonderful thick, slick, cushioning long lasting lather. The scents I've tried of Dove are Tangerine, Shea Butter and Cucumber. What the New Williams or Dove lacks as a Shave Soap alone, makes up to make a great shave soap by mixing together.

For me, the title says it all. “It’s just soap”. At one point, I spent a lot of money on unnecessary amounts shaving products. Turns out most of my favourite products happen to be the some of the least expensive.
Currently on year 4 sabbatical, and once my remaining soaps/creams run out, I will replace with one product until
thats gone, and so on. I refuse to be selfishly wasteful and excessive. Maybe I’m just cheap, and unsophisticated :blush:
No, you are just being smart with your shaving purchases now that you know what works for you.

Clayton

The best Bath soap that I've tested to make a good lather by it self is Dove. I have found that mixing a half bar of Dove bath soap with a puck of New Williams Mug soap by shaving both, mixing together and pressing into a bowl. This mix makes a wonderful thick, slick, cushioning long lasting lather. The scents I've tried of Dove are Tangerine, Shea Butter and Cucumber. What the New Williams or Dove lacks as a Shave Soap alone, makes up to make a great shave soap by mixing together.
I'm going to try this. Dove does make a good shaving lather.

Clayton

I just got back into wet shaving after about a decade off and already I've got too many soaps (6 full containers plus about 25 sample size containers). I don't need that much and once it's gone I'll just keep 1 or 2 soaps that I like and then replace them as needed.

And that's not a knock on the guys who enjoy the variety. For me it's just more about performance than variety and there is no need for 6 soaps at one time if performance is all that I care about.

Don't know if I can go that far. Certain soaps are a good match for certain fragrances, and I like certain fragrances for certain times of year or certain events like going to the office, going to the opera, or even doing yard work. For me VDH Deluxe is a good match for Whiskey Woods. Cella is a good match for VIBR. I like those for fall and winter respectively. Something with a lavender or floral scent for The Cubman, etc.

Top Bottom