What's new

It's Just a Shave

Maybe I'm just tired. Maybe it's because I got my father's Slim to work and have been using it a couple of weeks. But I'm right back to "It's time to shave; get it over with."

I know I've been using the one pass shave with DE for a time, but I'd like to try new creams and AS. I even tried The Veg. But in the last few weeks, i just want to shave and go on.

The Slim I had problems with was because I only thought the blade was tight. There was a slight turn more than locks it down, and I've been getting really great shaves on 4, with 5 a bit harsher. Some of my razors have a smoother shave, but I don't seem to care anymore. Just shave and get it done. I'm even thinking of putting away my other razors and using just this one.

I don't even know how it happened; it just did.

There are ups, and then there are downs, perfectly fine and I hope the joy of shaving comes back to you, hope everything else besides shaving also goes well with you!

There is only one known cure. PIF all your shaving kit. Every bit. Shave with a BIC and canned goo for a month.

This will cure you of the blahs. And after a month of this, you will embrace proper shaving and its rituals again. You will also spend $$$ buying all new stuff.

It's time for omphaloscepsis (meditation by contemplating your navel). That always cheers me up. :001_rolle
I have to say, thinking about you contemplating your navel brought about a pretty good laugh! :lol:

Should I pick out the lint with my pinky nail?
Are outties easier to keep clean?
What
does it have to do with ships?

It's so funny. I've been reading and re-reading the original post, and I'm baffled that someone can find traditional shaving to be just "something that needs to be done". I used to feel that way with electrics and then with cartridges, but have never felt that way again after switching to DEs. Even my move to straights was motivated by curiosity in technique and tradition, and not by boredom with DEs.

So, after pondering, and inspecting my belly button, and searching the heavens for insights, I've come to the conclusion that not every hobby is for everyone. Maybe the OP just isn't "into" shaving regardless of the gear, method, or anything. And I guess that, while I'll never understand feeling that way about shaving, it's fine if that's where they are.

Maybe try kiteboarding?

The thing is, I never approached it as a hobby. I started with an SE blade when the choice was SE and DE. I went back to SE because of cartridge prices. I went to DE to try it, and have been back and forth between SE, DE, and different cartridges for years now. I have tried different razors for a better shave, and keep going back to SE for a reason. I've tried different blades. I've used shaving soap for "luxury" shaves pretty soon to when I began shaving, and still do. I've tried different techniques. And now? I reach for a DE razor, use canned foam, and do a one-pass shave like my father and at least one grandfather did, and call it a morning.

This came about suddenly. Just a few weeks ago, I was trying The Veg.
It's time for omphaloscepsis (meditation by contemplating your navel). That always cheers me up. :001_rolle

The closest I get to navel gazing is calculating math problems in my head - for fun. Unfortunately, I'm not good at it.

The thing is, I never approached it as a hobby. I started with an SE blade when the choice was SE and DE. I went back to SE because of cartridge prices. I went to DE to try it, and have been back and forth between SE, DE, and different cartridges for years now. I have tried different razors for a better shave, and keep going back to SE for a reason. I've tried different blades. I've used shaving soap for "luxury" shaves pretty soon to when I began shaving, and still do. I've tried different techniques. And now? I reach for a DE razor, use canned foam, and do a one-pass shave like my father and at least one grandfather did, and call it a morning.

This came about suddenly. Just a few weeks ago, I was trying The Veg.

The closest I get to navel gazing is calculating math problems in my head - for fun. Unfortunately, I'm not good at it.
I hear you. The ridiculous price of cartridges pushed me to search for cheaper alternatives. Decided to go with a DE and brush from Amazon. My difference is that I had to learn how to use the double edge razor, having only used the cartridges and electric stuff. In looking at websites, I did learn how to use this razor, but I also fell into a big ole patch of the "I want-sees"! That's when hobby purchases crept in.

I still find things I want to try. But I am telling myself that I just want a good shave before I go to work. The stuff I have does that very well. At some point I just need to shave. I think I differ from the OP in that I also still enjoy the shaving experience, so I am willing to take a little extra time to get it done. But it is just shaving. I don't need more stuff (especially more expensive stuff).

Shave on, and may they be both satisfactory and enjoyable!

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

I've been there. I joined this community a few years ago looking for ways to make shaving cheaper. Quickly got into the buy everything try everything groove. Then after a while, shaving was shaving again. Then I came back and visited and realized that I think I enjoyed this community more than I did the actual act of shaving. The shaving just gave me something to talk about with everyone on here, and a reason to buy/trade cool stuff that most other people don't know anything about.

So shave regular, shave fancy, don't shave, whatever works best for you!

Maybe I'm just tired. Maybe it's because I got my father's Slim to work and have been using it a couple of weeks. But I'm right back to "It's time to shave; get it over with."

I know I've been using the one pass shave with DE for a time, but I'd like to try new creams and AS. I even tried The Veg. But in the last few weeks, i just want to shave and go on.

The Slim I had problems with was because I only thought the blade was tight. There was a slight turn more than locks it down, and I've been getting really great shaves on 4, with 5 a bit harsher. Some of my razors have a smoother shave, but I don't seem to care anymore. Just shave and get it done. I'm even thinking of putting away my other razors and using just this one.

I don't even know how it happened; it just did.
Like saying sex is just a biological function.

I've been there. I joined this community a few years ago looking for ways to make shaving cheaper. Quickly got into the buy everything try everything groove. Then after a while, shaving was shaving again. Then I came back and visited and realized that I think I enjoyed this community more than I did the actual act of shaving. The shaving just gave me something to talk about with everyone on here, and a reason to buy/trade cool stuff that most other people don't know anything about.

So shave regular, shave fancy, don't shave, whatever works best for you!

+1

The act of removing facial hair is "just a shave".

The process in which most of us in this group engage; the ritual, the nuances of technique, the maintenance of our tools, the nod to history and nostalgia, the mental and visceral joy, the camaraderie of like-minded individuals, these things take it beyond being "just a shave" and elevate it to a higher level that many find immensely satisfying and an ongoing source of pleasure and enjoyment.

Just a shave? Not for me...

If you'll excuse me now, I have to go start my prep...

OP, I feel ya. There are days when I just want to grab a cart and quickly scrape the shade off and get about my business for the day.

OTOH, here's a similar "It's just a..." anecdote that helps me put things like this in perspective sometimes. I spent several hundred dollars on carbon steel chef's knives some years back. I maintain them rather aggressively. My mother in law on the other hand can't tell the difference between the handy little 5" boning knife and a steak knife. One visit to my home, when I wasn't in, she helped the missus in the kitchen, used this knife, and ran it through the dishwasher, double rinse and heat dry. When I got this non stainless blade back, it was orange all over with deep pitting.

When I was notably upset, she was quite confused, after all, "It's just a steak knife".

Top Bottom