What's new

It's Fall - Time For Newsboy Caps

From the B!Wear Web site:

"America! I am here to free you from the tyranny of the baseball cap."

+1000. I long for the day when baseball caps are a distant memory. Sadly, I doubt I'll see it. :frown:

Nice caps indeed!!

But i'm myself more a guy of beret basque or txapela

http://www.boinaselosegui.com

You can't go wrong with a nice wool beret!!:a4:

I have one of their berets I bought in a boina shop in San Sebastian several years ago and it is excellent!

Wouldn't mind another one but a bit wider but I can't make much sense of that site. The shop is in Spanish. Do I actually have to give them all my details before I can see the shop and prices?

Gareth

This is a look that I think is tough for most guys to pull off, myself included. I can't wear these. I also think my impression may be influenced by the Japanese. I see a very large number of girls/women wearing these.

Slagle, are you referring to a beret or the caps to which the OP was referring?

The 8-panel caps linked in the OP are nice, but they don't work for me. I like the Irish flat cap (more traditional look, I think: could be the other way around...) as the 8-panels tend to look goofy on my head.

Berets...not for me. Didn't Rerun (What's Happening?) wear a beret?

Slagle, are you referring to a beret or the caps to which the OP was referring?

The 8-panel caps linked in the OP are nice, but they don't work for me. I like the Irish flat cap (more traditional look, I think: could be the other way around...) as the 8-panels tend to look goofy on my head.

Berets...not for me. Didn't Rerun (What's Happening?) wear a beret?

No, I meant the caps the OP was referring to.

I wear a beret everyday. It's part of the uniform. :biggrin:

I can understand why some don't like the way the Newsboy caps lay. I have a bit of trouble with them myself. I wind up looking like "Dave" on the old Lennox commercials or whichever brand it was. I think it has to do with the shape and size of your head. I wear a large size. Nominally 7-1/2 and a long oval to boot. Added to this is the fact that if you look at different cap makers, where the brim attaches to the body of the cap makes a HUGE difference in how they lay on your head. The further back on the sides of the cap that the brim attaches, the easier it is to lay forward over said brim.

If you go over to the Fedora Lounge and search out newsboy posts(there's lots) there was one fellow(I believe his screen name is scottrace) who has a B!Wear that lays perfectly forward like a driving cap. I think if you have a normal, round-ish head shape it is easier to pull them forward to look that way. I have seen seven and eight panel caps that lay exactly like the driving caps. I too am really much more fond of the flat cap, driving cap, ivy cap, Irish flat cap or whatever you want to call it. B!Wear just doesn't do these. Believe me, I have asked Brett about it a few times. He just doesn't get enough requests to offset measurement, design, and pattern making time. I don't blame him a bit. He has a good business that makes quality caps. If ANYONE knows of someone who makes custom driving/ivy style caps, please post it. I have searched with google for hours and cannot find even a decent pattern to buy, let alone somebody who custom makes them. I have seen a few of these on the web that were cut apart at the seams to show the parts. They have less than the eight panels! They can't be that hard for a milliner to make.

Regards, Todd

Last edited:
I have an 8 panel grey wool one from Dorfman Pacific. I've had it for about 5 years. While I love it, my wife isn't so crazy about it.

Which means it doesn't get much love when we're out together.

It looks just like the charcoal gray hat in the OP's link, but a little less floppy.
proxy.php

How are the fit on these hats? I fluctuate between long hair and a high and don't want my hat too snug or falling off.

Wouldn't mind another one but a bit wider but I can't make much sense of that site. The shop is in Spanish. Do I actually have to give them all my details before I can see the shop and prices?

Gareth

Have you already sent them an email asking about a UK store?It seems so about details...

From the B!Wear Web site:

"America! I am here to free you from the tyranny of the baseball cap."

+1000. I long for the day when baseball caps are a distant memory. Sadly, I doubt I'll see it. :frown:

Are you suggesting that MLB adopt Newsboy hats? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom