What's new

It's evolution time

So,

I just had my first DE shave: another step in my transformation to a true wetshaver.

My Merkur HD arrived a few days ago, but I admit that I was a little afraid of it. I’ve shaved with cartridges for my entire shaving career and, well, I’ve even managed to cut myself with some of those foolproof razors (which, I suppose says something about me being more of a fool than some engineer/designer at Gillette/Schick/et cetera had imagined). Since I’ve not always had perfect luck in the past with my cartridges, I wanted to make sure that I would have lots of time to take it slow and careful when I tried my HD for the first time. Today I had the requisite time.

The result, you ask. Well, I am pleased to say that I am pleased. It was my first DE shave and I did 3 passes on my face (the same as I would with my now obsolete M3) and 2 on my neck (with the M3 there would have been 3 or maybe 4 passes, but I wanted to take it easy). My face is at least as smooth as it would have been with the M3 and it doesn’t have that familiar burning sensation that until recently I assumed was a normal part of shaving. My neck isn’t quite as good as it would be with the M3, but it doesn’t burn as much either, although I did manage to give myself one tiny cut. I hope that the absence of the “oh ****, my face is on fire” feeling will translate into fewer unsightly red bumps. With practice I hope to develop better technique and I hope that this will bring me to (or at least towards) the Holy Grail of shaving; the perfect shave.

It looks like I’ve slid a little further down the slippery slope of wetshaving.

NMMB said:
So,

I just had my first DE shave: another step in my transformation to a true wetshaver.

My Merkur HD arrived a few days ago, but I admit that I was a little afraid of it. I’ve shaved with cartridges for my entire shaving career and, well, I’ve even managed to cut myself with some of those foolproof razors (which, I suppose says something about me being more of a fool than some engineer/designer at Gillette/Schick/et cetera had imagined). Since I’ve not always had perfect luck in the past with my cartridges, I wanted to make sure that I would have lots of time to take it slow and careful when I tried my HD for the first time. Today I had the requisite time.

The result, you ask. Well, I am pleased to say that I am pleased. It was my first DE shave and I did 3 passes on my face (the same as I would with my now obsolete M3) and 2 on my neck (with the M3 there would have been 3 or maybe 4 passes, but I wanted to take it easy). My face is at least as smooth as it would have been with the M3 and it doesn’t have that familiar burning sensation that until recently I assumed was a normal part of shaving. My neck isn’t quite as good as it would be with the M3, but it doesn’t burn as much either, although I did manage to give myself one tiny cut. I hope that the absence of the “oh ****, my face is on fire” feeling will translate into fewer unsightly red bumps. With practice I hope to develop better technique and I hope that this will bring me to (or at least towards) the Holy Grail of shaving; the perfect shave.

It looks like I’ve slid a little further down the slippery slope of wetshaving.
Righteous! It always doe my heart good to read these epiphanies, these returns to the path of pride and personal polish!
Unfortunately, you will encounter minor setbacks as you proceed to the Α and Ω of shaves, but you now have the confidence of that first wonderful experience under your belt. Welcome to the world of classic double edge wetshaving.

Good for you! One thing that never ceases to amaze me about wet shaving is the fact that the shaves just keep getting better and better. For many reasons, the neck seems to be the area that takes the longest to master. Be patient and don't be afraid to experiment some, and you will find the method/s that best work for you.

Top Bottom