What's new

Its been answered, they don't always poop in the woods

‘He’s going ballistic’: Coquitlam quarry manager watches black bear trash his truck

By Kristen Robinson
Reporter / Producer Global News

Chad Atherton heard what he thought was someone breaking into his pickup truck early Sunday morning in a remote area of Coquitlam. When the quarry manager exited the trailer on his gated work site around four a.m., he saw that the suspect was a very large black bear. “All hell broke loose ’cause he’d locked himself in my pickup,” Atherton told Global News.

The doors of his quad cab truck were closed but unlocked when somehow the bear managed to open one and jump in. As the bear proceeded to trash the inside of the truck, Atherton called 911 – telling dispatchers, “I’ve got a bear stuck in my pickup and he’s going ballistic.”

proxy.php

Coquitlam RCMP say the bear’s crime spree started about half an hour earlier a few blocks away. Officers received a call around 3:30 a.m. Sunday about a bear trying to break in to a home in the 4000-block of Quarry Road.

After its attempt to enter the home failed, the bear moved on to two vehicles in the driveway – breaking into one of them and eating a box of cinnamon buns that was left inside.

RCMP say the bear then wandered down the street and broke into what turned out to be Atherton’s truck – where it got stuck and “ate the inside.”

“I guess he had a temper tantrum in there,” Sgt. Jeff Milliard told Global News.

The bear defecated inside the truck before smashing a window to get out.

proxy.php

RCMP say their prime suspect was gone when officers arrived on scene – but based on “forensic evidence” left in the truck, they determined it was the same bear who feasted on cinnamon buns during the earlier vehicle break-in. Atherton says the bear went on a tear in his truck – destroying the inside doors, dashboard, headrest and seats before smashing a window in its getaway.

“You can hear him literally ripping the truck apart,” said Atherton when describing video he captured of the incident.

Atherton has seen a lot of bears in his five years living and working at the quarry – but has never experienced anything like this. “They are getting smart,” he said. “This takes it to a level I’ve never seen.”

The BC Conservation Officer Service is investigating both bear break-ins and Sgt. Todd Hunter told Global News a trap has been set for the bear, which is clearly habituated to humans and requires removal. Hunter says conservation officers have seen a large increase in human and wildlife conflicts in Port Coquitlam and Coquitlam in just the last month – and are urging people to keep food and other attractants secured and out of vehicles.

RCMP are also reminding the public to lock the doors to vehicles and homes.

Gotta feel a little sorry for the bear

I like that line... "He's going ballistic!":lol1: Not much even for a dispatcher or policeman to do but laugh and see how it plays out!

Don

At least it looks fixable. I got a chipmunk inside my car. Chewed the wiring. After removing the entire dash, roof liner, carpets .even the coverings on the door pillars, (yup, the little bugger even chewed his way up the door pillars to get underneath the headliner and chewed all the electrics up there too) The mechanic said, "I can't give you your car back. I have to declare it an unsafe vehicle. I don't know what I haven't found. You could be driving along the 401 at 140k, and everything shuts off! Sorry." Insurance company told me it's a common reason to write-off a vehicle.
Moral of story: If you live in the country, close the hatch/windows.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm starting to hate bears.

I used to be sympathetic to their plight - "ooo, we took their land" - but now the damage and danger are just getting old.

If they would just eat the rattlesnakes and coyotes, we could work something out. But no! They gotta eat the trashcans ... and it's only a matter of time before one grabs me while I'm trying to look through a telescope or something.

AA

Bears are getting bolder. I had to get rid of my bee hives this summer due to bear coming into my yard and tearing them apart.

Also they don't have much respect the police even.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you go down to Co-qui-it-lam
You're sure of a big surprise
If you go down to Co-qui-it-lam
You'd better go in disguise! ...

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
No one ever said that they always do it in the woods, just that they do. :001_cool:

I do agree that, as bad as bears can be, the "mini bears" can do a heck of a lot more damage.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm starting to hate bears.

I used to be sympathetic to their plight - "ooo, we took their land" - but now the damage and danger are just getting old.

If they would just eat the rattlesnakes and coyotes, we could work something out. But no! They gotta eat the trashcans ... and it's only a matter of time before one grabs me while I'm trying to look through a telescope or something.

AA
They keep stealing my picnic baskets.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I can just imagine the look on the insurance assessors face. At least he has video evidence.

Top Bottom