What's new

It's all in the sauce

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Can you imagine spaghetti and meatballs without the sauce? Or chicken fried steak without the gravy? Sauce may be just as important as what you're putting it on. Do you eat salad without dressing or eat turkey and dressing without a good gravy?

Whether its sauce, gravy or dressing it may be the thing that pushes your meal over the top.

Show us your sauces.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
my favorite pasta sauce puttanesca {you can add the protein of your choice }

INGREDIENTS

1/4 c.
extra-virgin olive oil
cloves garlic, smashed
anchovy fillets, chopped
(28-oz.) diced tomatoes
1/2 c.
kalamata olives, pitted
1/4 c.
capers
1/2 tsp.
crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 lb.
spaghetti
Chopped parsley, for garnish
Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet or pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add anchovies and cook until fragrant, another minute. Add tomatoes, olives, capers, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer, 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook according to package directions, until al dente; drain. Toss spaghetti in sauce. Sprinkle with parsley and Parmesan and serve.

I agree and the pasta sauce sounds delicious.

I am the main cook in our house and I cook French, lots of sauces for most meals, they really make the dish.

Chris

With pasta, IMO how it is cooked is as important (if not more) than the sauce. A simple, garlic/olive oil sauce with pasta is awesome as long as the pasta is the right Al Dente. Doesn't matter how good the sauce is, overcooked pasta almost always ruins it for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
With pasta, IMO how it is cooked is as important (if not more) than the sauce. A simple, garlic/olive oil sauce with pasta is awesome as long as the pasta is the right Al Dente. Doesn't matter how good the sauce is, overcooked pasta almost always ruins it for me.
I am married to a pasta over-cooker. I can’t break her of it.

I am married to a pasta over-cooker. I can’t break her of it.

If that's the major complaint you have on your spouse, you've done well. You could cook it yourself.

The only way I know how to save overcooked pasta is to "gasp" put it in a casserole. Chicken Tetrazzini anyone?

So many great sauces. To name a few:

Crabmeat béchamel with white wine -- great over a fish filet.
Lemon-mustard-rosemary -- over pork cutlets.
Pomodori with basil pesto.

Pesto of any kind, for that matter. I am also partial to sundried tomato/almond/oregano.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Usually I forgo sauce on meat, but pasta oh yes. Braised short ribs in tomato sauce is our favorite pasta "gravy" but often I'll do a simple olive oil, butter, garlic sauce too.

I did make a mustard cream sauce (with my homemade mustard) recently and that was a big hit.

Top Bottom