What's new

its all about wet lather and a very light touch and a sharp blade

I've been using a straight -- not exclusively -- for about 7 months and in the past month, I had several razors I picked up in a yard sale (on the cheap) honed. Wow does this make a HUGE difference.

The sharp blade caused me to start over, try to use a light touch and be incredibly careful. before using these newly honed razors, I was gettting confident and proficient, including many shaves with no cuts or weepers and one or two with zero alum burn. Those days are over. Today I have a very good, three pass shave, with some alum burn, zero cuts and weepers. I'm realizing that my angle needs to be steep (or very close to parallel with my skin) and my touch needs to be very, very light. I realized the alum burn is razor burn from using too much pressure.

Secondly, I'm realizing now that I wasn't as proficient of a lather maker as I assumed. Someone here told me the lather should look like yogurt -- somewhat thick, but really shiny. I'm adding lots of water to my lathers to create the slickness I need to my lather when using a straight. It definitely helps. I know all soaps are different, but the soaps I have in my drawer are all top notch, and I'm realizing that the slickness factor was user error.

Lastly, don't chase the BBS or go against the grain if you aren't comfortable. I'm currently working to get a better shave at my jawline and my chin area. If I'm slow, and don't try to make it super close, I can get an effective shave on my chin -- which has been problem area with a straight.

Now if I can just get it to where I

Top Bottom